• ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    How are the gun shows around Houston?

Where I'm at in Oregon, gunshows have become shadows of what they were. The same handful of vendors from around the region with the same selection you'd find in their shops, prices are no better than you'd find in their store. Oregon has required background checks for every transaction at a gun show since before I was old enough to buy a gun - they have to get that $10 background check - which a few years ago they rammed UBC down our throats.

It's been about 10 years since I bothered going to a gunshow here - and it was a small town affair in a high school gym sized building. Nothing that stands out.

I sorta miss the dudes that would roam the place with a "FOR SALE" sign taped to a dowel stuffed in the barrel of a slung long gun, or a number of vendors who actually had to compete price-wise, and you'd see tables full of cool old guns.

Have the gun shows down there turned into the same, or are there still good ones?
    Military Camp

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    But it is better than it will be

That's probably a sad truth. I'll tell my son about the "good old days" when gun shows had tables of beanie babies, stale popcorn by the 50 gallon bag, a handful of shot out Hi Points, beat to hell gen 2 Glocks with like-new pricetags, and AR's built from eBay parts kits and airsoft furniture.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Inasmuch as last SA Gun-shows that I attended SELDOM have even one firearm of the sort that I collect, I usually don't bother to go anymore.

Oddly, the last SATX show that I did attend (mostly because I was bored & had nothing else doing that Saturday), I found some NICE & QUITE RARE books by "hunting authors" like Robert Ruark.
    One treasure that I found was a first edition/first printing of USE ENOUGH GUN by Ruark in THAI & priced at 4.99 plus tax.
    (I looked the book up when I got home & found that a similar first/first, in worse condition, sold at auction for 700.oo plus buyer's premium.)
    That first/first in THAI will likely be consigned to an auction, soon.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I think the bigger the venue, the better the choices are going to be. Most of the gun shows in the smaller towns are total crap. You might find the rare gem, but they are few and far between now. Many of what claim to be gun shows, are closer to being flea markets. Since when did scented candles and pouporri become gun related?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I think the bigger the venue, the better the choices are going to be. Most of the gun shows in the smaller towns are total crap. You might find the rare gem, but they are few and far between now. Many of what claim to be gun shows, are closer to being flea markets. Since when did scented candles and pouporri become gun related?

If they're doin scented candles it at least needs to smell like Hoppe's No 9. No Sandalwood, no Ocean Breeze, or Flowering Meadow. I want Hoppes, I want Cordite, and maybe cedar shavings :laughing:

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    I go to gun shows quite regularly in and around the Houston area (or at least did, before this bug started going around obviously lol), and I can echo the sentiments that it's not what it used to be. You will usually find a lot of the same vendors rotating through them as well, and while you can find some cool stuff occasionally, a lot of it is more generic stuff.

Surplus Guy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    Hood County
    Used guns in private collections is all I check out. Does not take me long to see everything. Waxahachie usually has a good selection of used firearms.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom