• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    Pardner don't let the "nay-sayers" get you down! These are folks that are jaded and don't know how to have a good time anymore! Gun shows can still be fun! Every type of firearm will be seen. From some classic Colt revolvers to the newest AR style rifles and carbines. In addition you'll find a lot of "male-centric" stuff like books, clothing, firearm accessories, even Beard Care (may I suggest Bad Billy Beard Company?:)) So it's never a waste of time! We just finished up the Saxet Gun Show here in San Antonio last week-end and the next one here will be the first week-end in January. COME ON DOWN, ENJOY THE SHOW, GET A REAL TACO!
    Lynx Defense

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    So the deal with Austin is that for many years we had regular shows, like every other month or so, hosted by Saxet out at the Travis County Expo Center. Then a few years ago, I want to say early or mid-2010's, the Travis County Commissioners Court got a burr up their butt and refused to renew Saxet's lease unless they agreed to perform background checks on all purchases. Saxet rightly refused, for inexplicable reasons Abbott (AG at the time I think) chose not to bring the wrath of the law down on the Commissioners Court, and so we no longer have Saxet shows.

At some point in either the late 00's or early 2010's, Premier started hosting regular shows here also. They kind of bounced around from venue to venue but for a while they had a good thing going at the Cedar Park Event Center (now called the HEB Center I think). Unfortunately they ran into scheduling issues with some of the sports teams that play there and moved out to one of those multi-use athletic complexes off I-35 in Round Rock. That lasted a year or so until, depending on who you talk to, they ran into scheduling issues there too, or there was a negligent discharge that shut things down.

So now we no longer have Premier here, either, which means Austin doesn't have any gun shows. The nearest ones I've seen advertised is a Saxet show in Dripping Springs (I went once, it sucked) and a different group sometimes hosts one in Bastrop.

imho, Premier was better than Saxet but both were decent, particularly for what you want to do (look). Prices had been creeping up for a while and deals were getting fewer and farther between but I personally enjoyed spending an afternoon oogling guns and occasionally finding a hidden gem. Anyway, I wouldn't let the negativity toward gun shows prevent you from seeking them out, particularly if you've never been to one. Just be prepared to be underwhelmed, especially now since guns everywhere are pretty scarce.

justashooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I use this website to find out what guns shows are coming up. https://gunshowtrader.com/gunshows/texas-gun-shows/ I also agree with most of the folks here that gun shows "Ain't what they used to be." Is anything? Still If I have nothing to do on a Saturday which is rare I might waste some time going to one. Now if you want to go to a show that is really cool try the Dallas Safari Club. All things hunting and a whole lot more. The taxidermy displays alone are worth the price of admission IMHO.

W_kemp

Life is hard, it’s harder if you’re stupid
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Hugo, OK
    If you've never been to a gun show, I'd say the $8ish admission price is worthwhile. At the very least you'll be able to handle some guns without the pressure of a salesman at the counter of a local gun store. I went to the New Braunfels show last year and one of the larger vendors had a nice display of all the brands they carried, so I was able to actually check out a bunch of CZ's and HK's that I had never seen in person. At least you'll get an idea of which guns do or don't feel right for you.
    Yes! This is exactly why I want to go

Ballistic Budda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2020
    Centex
    Lately all of the shows I have attended are more coins, beads and baubles, and usually cheese and jerky. Best one lately was in Waco. I really want to try the one at Dallas Market Hall.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Exactly...went to the SAXET show in San Antonio this past weekend and was surprised at the inflated prices found on some weapons and especially ammo. My enjoyment came from just walking around the venue and looking at the wares.

Haven't been to the SAXET show in over a year, and the last time I went I could've walked around blindfolded and told you what everything was. It hasn't changed in years, it's unexplainably overcrowded, prices rocket up at the mere mention of anything "gun control" related (most of the time from rumors started by the vendors), and the 'crap-to-actual-gun-related-items' is still badly canted.

But I still contend it's a the best place to compare and handle guns you're interested in! But I do miss the Premier show which was much better and had a lot more firearms-related vendors than SAXET ever did!

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    @W_kemp, welcome to TGT. You can save a couple bucks on admission for the premier shows by purchasing a ticket online.

FWIW, were the shows of yesteryear better... well, a large number of things were arguably better yesterday than today; however, as many have mentioned, the ability to handle many firearms more readily than your LGS or Cabelas (et al) is worth the trip.

Also, consider if everyone turned into a curmudgeon about attending shows, then for sure they will end. We need to support these gatherings of like-minded, freedom loving people.

As a former serf of the Peoples Republik of Kamalafornia, I make every effort to attend the Texas shows when I can. My former residence, San Diego, banned gunshows... BANNED them.

Do your part to prevent that from happening here.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Is anything what it used to be?

We went to the first one last summer. Of course, we were spoiled by the huge shows Premier used to have at the Freeman Coliseum here in San Antonio. The New Braunfels show was much smaller and had less of what I was interested in (primarily milsurp).

I do still feel some loyalty to the Premier folks, when they first started here in SA a group of us from here met up for breakfast nearby. They showed up and not only paid for our meals, but they also gave us free passes to the show and continued to do so for the entire time they were here. They worked very hard to maintain the SA show, but Bexar County just made it too tough for them to do so (remember, city and county leadership in SA are just a few steps behind Austin in that regard).

It's sad as they honestly held the best gun show I've ever been to (which includes the large Houston show). I still keep in touch with them through social media and we went to the NB show just to show our support.

If Premier ever found the right venue here in SA they said would come back, but they were adamant about not wanting to compete with SAXET (which would be a no-win for both sides) so that rules out most of the west/NW side of town (their old shows were on the SE side of SA).

I still keep an eye out for such a facility, which would have to be privately owned to keep the local governments from meddling with it; but so far nothing has come up. I am also not sure if SA would support such a show, as SAXET seems to have a monopoly there for some unknown reason...

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    My brother does the ATMs for probably 80% of the gun shows in SE Texas. He has had so many cancellations he is going mad. There are 3 or 4 MAJOR vendors that were able to hold their shows with minimal affect from COVID lockdowns, but the smaller ones were legislated/EOed out of business.
    When you do find a gun show still operating, get there early. We dropped ATMs at 0800 for a gun show that started at 0900. There was an ammo reloader selling various calibers including 9mm for $.15/round. By the time I got inside (about 0945) the reloader had sold all of the 5,000 rounds she had. The table selling SIG pistols didn't even have a pistol to try on (why are you still here if you have nothing to sell?).

Long story short, there are deals to be had. But only in the first 15 minutes or so. Or after the show is over and a vendor doesn't have a table at the next show and really wants to move certain items.

LuckyLady

Lucky to live in the Great State of Texas
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Williamson County
    Hey Y’all!

pretty brand new to this forum, not sure the correct place to post this but would like some insight!

I’m from a SMALL town in northern Minnesota (think population sub 400) so never grew up around any gun shows even remotely close to me.Have always wanted to go to one and think it would be fun thing to do for my girl and I.

I was wondering if anyone could provide some recommendations as to the best gun shows in the area? Preferably being one that’s coming up in December/Jan/Feb and relatively close drive from Austin.

TIA!

EDIT: I don’t plan to buy there, just looking for a good show with a wide selection so I can browse my options and actually get to see something in person before I buy (I usually buy my guns online)
    Unfortunately, there aren't many in the Austin area. I've had to travel to go to some decent ones. The best one I have found is put on by Premier Gun Shows and the location at the Dallas Marketplace. It's the biggest one I have found (to make it worth my time).
    Here is the next one: https://www.PremierGunShows.com/shows/dallas-market-hall/
    The last time I went the line was down the street to get in, but it moved pretty quickly.
    It was very busy all day, both days.
    If you get up early you can go for a nice drive with barely any traffic, go to the show for a couple hours, then go have lunch and drive home.
    Or maybe a group could go together and carpool.
    You can sign up on their site to get notifications of upcoming gun shows and where.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Unfortunately, there aren't many in the Austin area. I've had to travel to go to some decent ones. The best one I have found is put on by Premier Gun Shows and the location at the Dallas Marketplace. It's the biggest one I have found (to make it worth my time).
    Here is the next one: https://www.PremierGunShows.com/shows/dallas-market-hall/
    The last time I went the line was down the street to get in, but it moved pretty quickly.
    It was very busy all day, both days.
    If you get up early you can go for a nice drive with barely any traffic, go to the show for a couple hours, then go have lunch and drive home.
    Or maybe a group could go together and carpool.
    You can sign up on their site to get notifications of upcoming gun shows and where.
    Welcome @LuckyLady

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    For what it's worth,
    The Fredericksburg Gun & Blade Show will be held on Dec 19th-20th, 2020 in Fredericksburg, TX. This Fredericksburg gun show is held at Gillespie County Fairgrounds and hosted by Silver Spur Trade Shows. 9 - 5 Saturday, 10 -4 Sunday, $6.00 to get in.
    I may check this show out as it's only 45 miles from me and I need to check out a holster for my Cz 75B and look for some parts for my NPM M1 carbine.

Top Bottom