• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    By the way, the City of San Antonio had nothing to do with the demise of these shows.

The city of SA had EVERYTHING to do with their demise. There was a VERY large show that used to be held in the Convention Center downtown, and it had vendors from all over. Henry Cisneros pushed the city council to boot them out - and it led to the situation of today. I know it, because I was one of the ones downtown fighting 'em at the council meetings - but the SOB's didn't care about OUR rights, or the rights of the citizenry.
    Gun Zone Deals

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The city of SA had EVERYTHING to do with their demise. There was a VERY large show that used to be held in the Convention Center downtown, and it had vendors from all over. Henry Cisneros pushed the city council to boot them out - and it led to the situation of today. I know it, because I was one of the ones downtown fighting 'em at the council meetings - but the SOB's didn't care about OUR rights, or the rights of the citizenry.

Cool story, but the Freeman Exposition Hall is owned by Bexar County and I got the scoop straight from Tim and Michelle of Premier Gun Shows!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, they raised their prices by 50%, so the chances of me going have dropped from 'near zero' to 'absolute zero!'

1662758379292.png

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    $15.00?

I usually pay for my friend that goes with me.....but for that.....he's on his own...............

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    At that ridiculous price, I am out too. I am perfectly willing to pay $25 to attend a really HUGE show like Crossroads of the West in Phoenix, but $15 for 10 tables of overpriced guns and 20 tables of beenie babies and and knife polishers...I'll pass.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    There's another Texas Gun Shows event at the Alzafar Shrine this coming weekend (4-5 Feb 2023), a bud contacted me about going but his response to the $15 entry fee may dissuade him (it does me!).

Did anyone go in September, and if so, how was it?

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    apparently this weekend is the gun show in Mesquite. I had to work today, and planned to go shooting tomorrow afternoon, if possible....very likely will miss this one.
    I was thinking of taking my stainless Bisley .45 Colt to see about selling/swapping it, but it can certainly wait. I might change my mind.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Anyone go and how was it?

I did with a couple of buds. Here's my report...

First, it have to admit I was a bit excited as it's been a long time since I've been to a gun show. I've been to this venue before and wasn't overly impressed, but with the demise of the SAXET show I was hoping it would be better. I don't know how much of a factor that was, and I will admit I did go in with the lowest of expectations; but to be honest I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the show!

OK, $15 to get in (a dollar off for military) is a tad steep; but there was a fair amount of vendors and unlike SAXET, most were focused on guns and accessories. The main rooms were full (although one room towards the front, which has been used in the past, was empty). and the narrow aisles were reminiscent of the place off Marbach and 410. There was only one stroller I recall, but there were a lot of instances of bottlenecks throughout the facility.

Prices were surprisingly reasonable for some firearms, or at least not as bad as I was expecting, and there were also a few good deals to be had. I picked up four windowed 30-round PMAGs for $10 each, and a Palm AK mag for $15. Ammo prices still seemed steep, or at least I could easily find better online or even at retailers. I also picked up an 81mm mortar case from the guy who runs the Alamo City Military Expo shows for the Man Cave.

There was a lot of discussion on the recent ATF ruling concerning AR pistols. I don't think a lot of people understand it, an understandably so; so the conversations were "interesting." Some sellers seemed to not know or care about the ruling. I saw several AR pistols with shoulder braces which per my understanding will have to be registered as SBRs if the ruling is upheld by the courts.

We ended up staying two hours, which is a lot given the size of the show. My buds admitted they enjoyed themselves as well.

Just a recommendation, avoid Eggspectation across 1604 from the Alzafar Shrine. It's expense and the food a bit too "foo-foo" for my tastes. It's not bad, but $17 for a stack of pancakes with potatoes, sausage, bacon and an egg on top was a bit steep in my book, and it was too rich for my tastes. I only ate about half, which made the price even worse! There's an IHOP up the road off the Stone Oak Parkway, which is where we'll have breakfast the next time we go.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    So, how many locals set up at Alzafar?
    I haven't been to that location for decades, looking at going to the April show, and hoping it's better than the Hilton location.
    And the most important question,
    the Shriner wives used to have Very Good burgers, do they still serve them?

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    Well we'll be there! BadBillyBeard.com The last show in February was very nice with tons of guns and accessories. As far as pricing goes, it's a crap shoot just like every other gun show on the planet. Regarding food...kinda sketchy the Alzafar ladies are not in charge. There have been a couple of different vendors over the last few shows out there.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    I know what you mean, seems like about everything costs twice as much as it did 2 years ago,
    but that isn't going to keep me from doing something I like.
    I just do it in moderation these days.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Dunno how many vendors are locals, I care more about what they are selling (actual gun-related items vs. peanut brittle/scented candles) and per the February show I must admit the former far outnumbered the latter!

I would've smelled burgers and don't recall doing so. Of course, after breakfast at Eggspectations I wasn't exactly hungry. The next time we're going to IHOP!

Not sure if we're going to the next show 15-16 April, it will depend on how much taxes I have to pay or if I am actually getting a refund (highly unlikely!!). ;)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom