• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I have been contemplating taking a drive over to the gun show in Mesquite this weekend at the: Mesquite Convention Center, 1700 Rodeo Drive – Mesquite, TX 75149

It's billed as a 450 table show so it may be worth the anticipated 2 1/2 hour drive considering I can combine it with a trip to Costco to pick up some stuff. Has anyone been to this show lately and if so, do you think it worth attending?

Thanks
    Lynx Defense

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I’m thinking about going also. I’ve been to the one at Big Town many times, but not the one at the convention center.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    I guess I'm going, barring any unforeseen issues that prevent me.

Either of you have any clue to how the area is around Addison; I am thinking of staying at either the Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden there and that way will be not too far from the gun show and close to Costco where I'd also like to make a stop.

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    It'll be about an hour drive from Addison to the gun show, even on a Saturday. Just a heads up.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Thanks for that info on the trip time. I am staying there because I am using points for the hotel stay and they want 18K points while the one right at the center wants 30K points. Google Maps said about a half hour drive but even if an hour, that's not too bad. Being from NY I am used to slow traffic.

Now to figure out which guns I want to bring along to try to sell. Sell some, buy some, it's an ongoing cycle.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    That's some serious gun-lovin' dedication to travel 175 miles to fondle guns !!! I'm impressed.
    There's no shows closer to you? No Costco nearby?
    I might go, but I'm only about 30 miles from the show.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I prefer the big town mesquite show over the convention center.

I went to the convention center show the last time and it wasnt that bad. Lot of flea market type tables though

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    There’s a Costco on I-30 in Rockwall that you will pass on your way to Mesquite from Texarkana and again on your way home.

There’s also a Hampton Inn and a really nice Hilton (not the Hilton Garden Inn) in Rockwall too.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    That's some serious gun-lovin' dedication to travel 175 miles to fondle guns !!! I'm impressed.
    There's no shows closer to you? No Costco nearby?
    I might go, but I'm only about 30 miles from the show.

Well, I am in the Texarkana area. They have a Sam's Club - it cannot compare to Costco as far as quality items go.

As for traveling for gun shows, when I was living on Long Island, in NY, I drove about 305 miles each way, to Geneva, NY, to attend the Hessney Auction Company's firearms auctions. Sometimes I drove it all in one day without an overnight stay but I usually stayed overnight in a motel within 30 miles at most of there; although, when it was not high season rates I stayed right in Geneva.

I started going to those in April 2012. That was my first big get out of the house thing after going through 7 weeks of radiation and several chemo treatments for stage 4 throat cancer in late 2011. I was diagnosed cancer free in March 2012 but was still feeling run down & miserable and needed something to lift my spirits. That first drive there was a tough one but the Hessney auction was worth it; it was like I had found heaven after having been in hell for many months.

I went twice that year, cannot remember if I went in 2013, then at least once each year in 2014 and 15, then five times in 2016, seven times in 2017, eight times in 2018 plus once bidding online for a live auction and another time bidding on an online only auction, then went again twice in 2019 and bid once online for another live auction that I could not attend. That was about 610 miles round trip for each auction I attended in person. It was well worth it, I got some nice guns at excellent prices, paid too much for two or three and learned a lesson, and made some good friends along the way. The auction house owner Joe Hessney is truly a swell guy.

Driving to Mesquite is going to be a breeze or so I hope and going there when there is a gun show lets me combine that with a needed trip to Costco (which I would have made anyway sooner or later, gun show or not). I's also going to let me see some more of my new home state and meet new folks. Should be a blast.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    There’s a Costco on I-30 in Rockwall that you will pass on your way to Mesquite from Texarkana and again on your way home.

There’s also a Hampton Inn and a really nice Hilton (not the Hilton Garden Inn) in Rockwall too.

And those are much closer than Addison.

Glenn that drive from Texarkana is not a bad drive at all. Nice country along the way.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    The hotel choice is a points thing, the difference between 18,000 and 30,000 points, thus I booked at Addison and will drive maybe 10 miles more. The Coscto right off 30 though sounds ideal, it will be on the way home. Just about to shove off.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Where in NY are you from? Spent a week in Richland Springs near Cooperstown. Gorgeous country up there.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Nice gun show overall. I did not buy any guns but sold off three of my collection. That helps in making up for six others I bought in July & August, at least by maybe a third of what I spent on those others. Sold two at my preselected minimum acceptable price and one a bit below that but was happy to be rid of that one since I had bought it thinking of gifting it to my son but he did not seem that interested in it so it went to market. That one was a Mossberg 185 K-A 20 gauge bolt action shotgun, the others were a WASR 10 and a Winchester 290.

I had one guy offer me my asking price on the WASR 10 and he was quick to pull out a wad of cash from his pocket as his buddy stood by already holding two AKs. He showed me his TX driver's license and when I asked him t fill out a bill of sale (I almost always write up a bill of sale for guns I sell) he suddenly said he had to hit up the ATM (regardless of the wad of cash in his hand) and disappeared with his pal. A dealer at a nearby table said if the guy did not come back, he'd be interested and I should come back to the dealer later on if it did not otherwise sell. The dealer is the man who got it. It only dawned on me, maybe a half hour after the first guy walked away, that guy did not come back because I pulled out a bill of sale to fill out. Maybe it's better off all around that I did not wind up selling to him.

Of course, before leaving for Costco, I had to spend some of that cash at the show. I bought a couple of show themed T-shirts - one for me and one for my son. I also picked up a couple of Magpul MOE 30 round AK magazines and a Triple-K magazine for a Beretta 950 Minx in 22 short that I hope will function in my 950BS in 22 short.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    I should mention, Costco trips will probably be a monthly or so event for me. That stands whether or not there is a gun show to combine with the tripos to Costco - and it will be especially so now that I found out there are several Total Wine locations in the Dallas area and if they stock my favorite brands of Kirschwasser and Obstwasser.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Nice gun show overall. I did not buy any guns but sold off three of my collection. That helps in making up for six others I bought in July & August, at least by maybe a third of what I spent on those others. Sold two at my preselected minimum acceptable price and one a bit below that but was happy to be rid of that one since I had bought it thinking of gifting it to my son but he did not seem that interested in it so it went to market. That one was a Mossberg 185 K-A 20 gauge bolt action shotgun, the others were a WASR 10 and a Winchester 290.

I had one guy offer me my asking price on the WASR 10 and he was quick to pull out a wad of cash from his pocket as his buddy stood by already holding two AKs. He showed me his TX driver's license and when I asked him t fill out a bill of sale (I almost always write up a bill of sale for guns I sell) he suddenly said he had to hit up the ATM (regardless of the wad of cash in his hand) and disappeared with his pal. A dealer at a nearby table said if the guy did not come back, he'd be interested and I should come back to the dealer later on if it did not otherwise sell. The dealer is the man who got it. It only dawned on me, maybe a half hour after the first guy walked away, that guy did not come back because I pulled out a bill of sale to fill out. Maybe it's better off all around that I did not wind up selling to him.

Of course, before leaving for Costco, I had to spend some of that cash at the show. I bought a couple of show themed T-shirts - one for me and one for my son. I also picked up a couple of Magpul MOE 30 round AK magazines and a Triple-K magazine for a Beretta 950 Minx in 22 short that I hope will function in my 950BS in 22 short.

When you pulled out a BOS I would have been gone. They are worthless and I won't sign one, much less show you a DL. I bought a pistol from an individual, FTF I got pistol, he got green. We both smiled.

Top Bottom