• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    R&M FIREARMS EL CAMPO TEXAS

I am very vocal in my support of our independent GUN SHOPS.

These small businesses are integral parts of our "Americana", our traditions, and our FREEDOM.

They are owned by LOCAL businessmen, who generally work in and run them. They are our neighbors and friends. Money spent in them is largely re-circulated in the local community, which helps us all.

And, they provide services to regular customers which are simply not available elsewhere. Just try taking your shotgun problem to Mr. Academy or Mr. WalMart on opening day and see what happens.

Yes, I am willing to pay a bit more to keep these essential community services in business. If you understood, you'd be willing, too !

This past week, I was visiting El Campo and my current favorite gun shop, "R&M Firearms", just SW of town on US59 (to-be IH69).

Despite having current CHL's in both Texas and my home state, there was a minor ncis "delay", caused by some misunderstanding to the regulations & laws.

The owner, "Ronnie" and his crew, especially "Mark", went way beyond usual to solve the glitch and even stayed during a "closed" day to insure that I got my purchase in time to take it home.

This is the best small town gun shop I've ever seen. Extensive stocks of major brands of firearms, ammo, all optics & accessories, plus competent in-house gun-smithing every day. R&M also carries full line archery tackle. Advice is given by very knowledgeable folks. They also tolerate the usual amount of customer B-S'ing.

Please visit R&M while in the area, one hour SW of Houston Metro. And visit your local gun shop if you are lucky to have one like R&M.

leVieux

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I have been there are bought a couple of guns from them in the past. I'm confused though, if you have a Texas CHL, LTC or whatever they are calling it now, they should have not had to run a NICS check on you.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been there are bought a couple of guns from them in the past. I'm confused though, if you have a Texas CHL, LTC or whatever they are calling it now, they should have not had to run a NICS check on you.

You are correct, but when we questioned MY ATF Guy, he misunderstood the question. To clarify: If you have a current Texas "CL", you don't need ncis approval. BUT, ifmn ncis inquiry is begun, it must be completed. Moral: Don't even start with ncis is your in-state CL is current.

Also be warned that if you attempt a buy @ any ACADEMY and there is a simple ncis "delay", you will be banned from Academy guns forever, per their company policy. Yes, even if you are approved by ncis post "delay" !

STUPIDITY abounds !

Moi, I've never bought a gun from Academy and don't plan on starting now.

leVieux
    Ahhh that makes sense now!!
    No, ATF said that didn't matter, as it wasn't a handgun.

leVieux

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Well, when your lgs doesn’t carry anything and Academy has it and no nics check with ltc I shop Academy. But rarely shop online. Just got a beautiful Ruger GP100 5 inch blue. And Academy will ship back to manufacturer if there is a problem. Last lgs I went in the owner was having a social phone call, ignored me completely. I was the only one there. Different lgs looked at a 22 revolver and he kept dry firing it. We had a good shop and he closed. Tough to find a real gunshop.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, when your lgs doesn’t carry anything and Academy has it and no nics check with ltc I shop Academy. But rarely shop online. Just got a beautiful Ruger GP100 5 inch blue. And Academy will ship back to manufacturer if there is a problem. Last lgs I went in the owner was having a social phone call, ignored me completely. I was the only one there. Different lgs looked at a 22 revolver and he kept dry firing it. We had a good shop and he closed. Tough to find a real gunshop.

Yes, do you wonder WHY ?

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I’ve purchased numerous firearms from independent FFL’s online. Only bad experience was Bud’s data breach and had to get a new credit card. They sent me an email and told me it happened though. Very proactive.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I don’t shop LGS’s very often, because for the most part, they only cater to the unemployed. I say this because most of them that I know open at 0900 and close by 1800 and are maybe open on Saturday morning.

If I ran a gun shop, I’d focus on buying and selling used guns, consignment, FFL transfers and un services like deep cleaning, modifications, and gunsmithing. Our hours would be 1200-2100 Monday-Friday, and 0900-1400 two Saturdays a month.

I’d also hold bimonthly weekend and evening classes on firearm PM and safety for all customers who buy or transfer guns through the shop.

Otherwise, most I know have poor inventory and are high priced.

I can get cheapest ammo and accessories online or big box stores. New guns have poor margins. Why bother?

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    If I ran a gun shop, I’d focus on buying and selling used guns, consignment, FFL transfers and un services like deep cleaning, modifications, and gunsmithing. Our hours would be 1200-2100 Monday-Friday, and 0900-1400 two Saturdays a month.
    If you wanted my business you'd have to be open every Saturday at least until 1700. If I bought something at noon on a saturday, took it to the range and had a problem or question, I would want to take care of it and not wait until the second saturday to resolve it.
    My times on weekends revolve around honey does and trips to the auto parts house and home improvement stores, so getting those chores done early is a must.
    Need to be consistant with times. I would waiver opending day of deer season though.

wbblazer90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    Interesting, El Camp is a small town. How will it compete with Carrol’s gunshop. Those guys are good and have a pretty good selection.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    ...Also be warned that if you attempt a buy @ any ACADEMY and there is a simple ncis "delay", you will be banned from Academy guns forever, per their company policy. Yes, even if you are approved by ncis post "delay" !...
    When did Academy start this policy? Several years ago I bought a rifle at an Academy in MS and got a delay. I called them a few days later and picked the rifle up. If I'm banned from purchasing guns from them, I'll refrain from shopping in their stores again.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    If you wanted my business you'd have to be open every Saturday at least until 1700. If I bought something at noon on a saturday, took it to the range and had a problem or question, I would want to take care of it and not wait until the second saturday to resolve it.
    My times on weekends revolve around honey does and trips to the auto parts house and home improvement stores, so getting those chores done early is a must.
    Need to be consistant with times. I would waiver opending day of deer season though.
    We all have our best hours, but my point is I’d be open more towards allowing folks who work normal day shift to make it in.
    But I’ve never been a shopkeeper nor do I plan to become one. God Bless those who do and I wish them all success

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom