• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I went to a LGS looking to buy a spare mag for my 1911A1. Asked the guy at the counter for a "Standard 7 round magazine for a GI 1911A1 in .45 caliber". He swore up and down that nobody had ever made a 7 round magazine for the 1911. Then he tried to sell me an 8 round 9mm mag for a compact 1911.

I haven't gone back to that store.

Or the time I saw a neat s&w revolver in a case, and had to do the whole "no i want to see the S&W. No thats a sig, and not even a revolver. No up one gun, no to your left, no not the Gp100". I finally got it out, and was a pre lock 66, -1 iirc. Guy said it was a registered magnum, and ultra rare.

I'm not very good at giving the "you're a retard look", but i tried my best that day

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Or the times I saw a neat s&w revolver in a case, and had to do the whole "no i want to see the S&W. No thats a sig, and not even a revolver. No up one gun, no to your left, no not the Gp100". I finally got it out, and was a pre lock 66, -1 iirc. Guy said it was a registered magnum, and ultra rare.

I'm not very good at giving the "you're a retard look", but i tried my best that day

A registered magnum, you say? Did it come with the registration papers? You'll need those if you ever put it out to stud.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Alternate thread title - Is customer service really this dead?

OK, what's the right response to this situation?

I walk into a gun shop. I'm greeted immediately by a guy who's anxious to show me something, anything. I tell him I'm just browsing to see if any interesting used/old stuff has come in. I'm obviously headed to the case where the old guns taken in on trade are kept.

Without me asking, he puts a reproduction SAA in my hands, then calls attention to some repro shotguns and rifles. I glance over the Glock case and ask if a particular one is a Gen 5 and he pulls it out. I ask if that's a Ruger charger behind the counter. It was and it was.

I didn't ask him to show me stuff. I had told him I was just browsing for interesting used stuff. Yet he put all this rapid-fire effort into trying to shove into my hands anything even slightly related to any small talk I was making. I just wanted him to leave me alone to look at the stuff with the "used" tags.

Then he looks square at me and asks "Are you going to buy anything today?"

"No."

I had been making that clear and trying not to waste his time since I stepped in the door. He just frowned at me and walked away.

And I just walked out.

The encounter really left me in a sour mood, something that's the opposite of the way I usually feel when leaving a gun store.

So is this normal? Am I supposed to buy a gun within 90 seconds of entering a shop or else be made to feel unwelcome?
    I witnessed a similar experience at a local store recently involving a rather large young red headed fellow who might be best described as a ADHD case on Cocaine.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Just tell the sales guy you might be a felon, and don’t think you can hold any guns, but are just looking…

Reactions: gll

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    1680661174656.jpeg

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Last gun I purchased was a truly positive experience. Two young fellas at two separate counters. Both briefly greeted me when I came in, even though both were with customers. No "interesting " pieces here. Straight up utilitarian, run of the mill, today's guns that a lot of us want. I was there to pick up my gunbroker buy and do the ffl transfer. Showed me a couple pistols I asked to see, we did the computer work and done. Extended his hand and said thanks and please come back. If I buy another store bought gun, I'll buy it from here.

CONCORDIA FIREARMS, LLC
    5407 LOUETTA RD STE H
    SPRING TX 77379-8069
    vince@mygunsdepot.com 832-761-7872

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I pass that place every morning on my drive to work, but .. too early for them to be open. I'll have to stop in some time when I'm not heading into the office.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Where I live Academy is THE gunstore and I get treated well there. I went into a LGS and I was the only customer. Money in my pocket and I couldn't get the owner off of his phone and it was a purely personal call. No other customers present. Went into another LGS and looked at an old S&W 22 revolver and the clerk kept dry firing it. Another store (now defunct) always pushed Kimbers no matter what I wanted to see. Wish I had some good stores to browse.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I think that is what I love the most about living in a small town. There are three gun stores that I frequent and only 1 is strictly a gun store. The other two sell other items and the gun stores, though well stocked, are not their main source of revenue. All three have "no pressure" folks running them and welcome you and ask if they can be of service. If you say "just browsing" they usually respond with "just let me know if you would like to look closer at anything".

I have been in gun stores that treat you like benenglish experienced, and they were usually in big cities. Give me a small town Mom & Pop gunstore any day!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think that is what I love the most about living in a small town. There are three gun stores that I frequent and only 1 is strictly a gun store. The other two sell other items and the gun stores, though well stocked, are not their main source of revenue.
    Where I grew up was like that.
    is this a gun store or a car dealership? Awful
    I've had the same experience at a car dealership. I was ready to buy and they had the car I wanted. It took forever for anyone to notice or help me. The salesman tried to show me a dozen other cars. Finally, he got exasperated and walked me to the back of the lot and pointed at exactly the car I wanted. I stepped over to it, looked in the window, and started to say "Have you got the keys for a test drive?" as I turned around. I only got out the first couple of words. The salesman was already 30 yards away and booking it back to the main sales floor. I left and wound up getting something else.

Oddly, I don't even remember the car. I just remember that salesman silently running away from me because he had already decided I was just a tire-kicker.
    It's damn near impossible for a young guy who actually knows about guns to get a job at a gun store
    BTDT.
    You could always try Carter Country. Hehehe.
    Y'know, I've never bothered to start a spreadsheet before...

:)

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Where I grew up was like that.

I've had the same experience at a car dealership. I was ready to buy and they had the car I wanted. It took forever for anyone to notice or help me. The salesman tried to show me a dozen other cars. Finally, he got exasperated and walked me to the back of the lot and pointed at exactly the car I wanted. I stepped over to it, looked in the window, and started to say "Have you got the keys for a test drive?" as I turned around. I only got out the first couple of words. The salesman was already 30 yards away and booking it back to the main sales floor. I left and wound up getting something else.

Oddly, I don't even remember the car. I just remember that salesman silently running away from me because he had already decided I was just a tire-kicker.

BTDT.

Y'know, I've never bothered to start a spreadsheet before...

:)
    Ben,
    I did not know that thread was in the forum (Where I grew up was like that.) but that was a very interesting story. My experience was somewhat different. My Son is now a Major in the Army Ranger's and Airborne Qualified and his battalion went to IRAQ for a year together. He wanted to offer them something special as a memento of remembrance of that tour. He commissioned Sig Sauer to create a gun of specific colors and special engraving on the top of the slide with the name of the mission and dates. He talked to several local gun stores to see what kind of deal he could get from them and no one wanted to work with him. We are talking about 150 guns, so mu son got his FFL specifically for that sale so he could buy from Sig Sauer. It all worked out in the long run, except that I had to take care of all the paperwork and getting the guns to his soldiers when he was deployed. I was really glad to help and the guns were great looking guns. After the last gun was delivered he decided to drop the FFL.

As far as hiring on with a gun shop, I was buying all my guns from a friend of mine who owned a gun shop/pawn shop and spent a lot of time sitting in there and BSing with him and his wife. He knew I gun smithed and one day it was put to the test when a guy came in with a completely disassembled 1911, in a cigar box that he had inherited from his Grandfather. He wanted to sell the parts, if my buddy was interested. My buddy not being any sort of a gunsmith looked at the box of parts and handed it to me to see if I was interested in them. After I examined the parts, I reassembled the gun in front of my buddy and the customer, checked it for function and took it out back and fired a magazine of rounds through it. I then handed it back to the customer and said "here is your family heirloom back" and to say he was happy would be an understatement. My buddy offered me a job on the spot to be his part time gunsmith, since I had a full time job as well. I worked part time for him for over 20 years until he retired and closed the place. I was 41 at the time.

Top Bottom