• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Margins on guns are razor thin, other stuff, ammo, holsters, mags... Thats where the money comes from. The average markup on a serpa holster is like 150-200%. The markup on promags is probably pretty close. Ammo has got a hefty markup, but not near as much

Lot's of shops will sell at gun shows, or gun broker. Of course what is usually the case, they're about to go under.

The markup on ammo is a lot less than you think it is.
    Military Camp

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I think that is what I love the most about living in a small town. There are three gun stores that I frequent and only 1 is strictly a gun store. The other two sell other items and the gun stores, though well stocked, are not their main source of revenue. All three have "no pressure" folks running them and welcome you and ask if they can be of service. If you say "just browsing" they usually respond with "just let me know if you would like to look closer at anything".

I have been in gun stores that treat you like benenglish experienced, and they were usually in big cities. Give me a small town Mom & Pop gunstore any day!
    Names and locations of the gun shops?

I would like to visit new gun shops and Fayette County is close to me.

Last edited:

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    When the counter guy asks what you're looking for...

1680812311446.png

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2022
    East Texas
    Alternate thread title - Is customer service really this dead?

OK, what's the right response to this situation?

I walk into a gun shop. I'm greeted immediately by a guy who's anxious to show me something, anything. I tell him I'm just browsing to see if any interesting used/old stuff has come in. I'm obviously headed to the case where the old guns taken in on trade are kept.

Without me asking, he puts a reproduction SAA in my hands, then calls attention to some repro shotguns and rifles. I glance over the Glock case and ask if a particular one is a Gen 5 and he pulls it out. I ask if that's a Ruger charger behind the counter. It was and it was.

I didn't ask him to show me stuff. I had told him I was just browsing for interesting used stuff. Yet he put all this rapid-fire effort into trying to shove into my hands anything even slightly related to any small talk I was making. I just wanted him to leave me alone to look at the stuff with the "used" tags.

Then he looks square at me and asks "Are you going to buy anything today?"

"No."

I had been making that clear and trying not to waste his time since I stepped in the door. He just frowned at me and walked away.

And I just walked out.

The encounter really left me in a sour mood, something that's the opposite of the way I usually feel when leaving a gun store.

So is this normal? Am I supposed to buy a gun within 90 seconds of entering a shop or else be made to feel unwelcome?
    I don’t blame you. I hate it when a salesman does that. Sometimes that happens in cigar shops too and it’s the biggest turn off.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Names and locations of the gun shops?

I would like to visit new gun shops and Fayette County is close to me.
    One is in downtown Yoakum, but only opens after 6:30pm daily except for Saturday. Opens at 9:00am
    One is in Gonzales, Feiners Feed Store.
    One is in Weimar, MG Feeds.
    There is a new one that just opened in Shiner on the corner at the main intersection. I have yet to check that one out.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I bought one gun from the Carter's Country on I-10 West about 15 years ago. I have never been back. Now those guys behind the counter need to take a course in customer service, or at least they did back then.
    Very common occurrence. If you look up Carter's in the search function on TGT, you'll find some interesting stuff. I've spewed vitriol towards them many times so, picking one at random, you could start here.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    :roflsmile: as if we need another reason to go to Shiner..
    Well then here is another reason.....The Shiner brewery is now serving Bar-B-Que as well. There was a Bar-B-Que place on the corner of 90A and 95 that closed and he obviously set up at the brewery. If his Bar-B-Que is as good there as it was downtown, he and the brewery will do well with this merger.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I bought a Browning Citori with a schnable forearm and an English style stock from CC on Strawberry (I think) in Pasadena many moons ago.

It was even then one pricey shotgun.

To be fair, the clerk wasn't obnoxious, but just seemed to harbor faint resentment towards customers...wtf?

Top Bottom