Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Alternate thread title - Is customer service really this dead?

OK, what's the right response to this situation?

I walk into a gun shop. I'm greeted immediately by a guy who's anxious to show me something, anything. I tell him I'm just browsing to see if any interesting used/old stuff has come in. I'm obviously headed to the case where the old guns taken in on trade are kept.

Without me asking, he puts a reproduction SAA in my hands, then calls attention to some repro shotguns and rifles. I glance over the Glock case and ask if a particular one is a Gen 5 and he pulls it out. I ask if that's a Ruger charger behind the counter. It was and it was.

I didn't ask him to show me stuff. I had told him I was just browsing for interesting used stuff. Yet he put all this rapid-fire effort into trying to shove into my hands anything even slightly related to any small talk I was making. I just wanted him to leave me alone to look at the stuff with the "used" tags.

Then he looks square at me and asks "Are you going to buy anything today?"

"No."

I had been making that clear and trying not to waste his time since I stepped in the door. He just frowned at me and walked away.

And I just walked out.

The encounter really left me in a sour mood, something that's the opposite of the way I usually feel when leaving a gun store.

So is this normal? Am I supposed to buy a gun within 90 seconds of entering a shop or else be made to feel unwelcome?
    Lynx Defense

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    He was just trying to bum rush you.
    Sales guy had no idea you’re experienced.
    I’d just let it go.
    You could always try Carter Country. Hehehe.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Ben, it’s just a guy working a low wage job who was told how not to be a salesman.

I give most salesmen a hard time because what he did was get a conditioned response from you.

Unfortunately common.

The tactic is typical to put items in your hand but a better scenario is you walk in, I say “welcome to Sam7’s dumbass palace” and observe you in a friendly manner. Once I see something catch your eye I can talk to you more and ask if I can help you find something if we don’t have it and thus a way into talking different options.

Unfortunately conditioned responses kill a lot of repeats. Good salesman make you feel welcome while not asking too much just seeking the right time to hear or observe you.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Tire kickers are probably going to be like 95% of your interactions working at a gun store. They suck to deal with since it's usually only clear they're wasting your time at the very last second.

The counter guy set himself up for that.

"Just browsing" should be responded to by "ok, if you need anything please feel free to ask".

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    We, being a not gun forum anymore, are not a gun stores average customer.

The average gun shop employee is a salesperson first. Pretty good chance the only experience they have is what their employer has given them.

It's damn near impossible for a young guy who actually knows about guns to get a job at a gun store

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    We, being a not gun forum anymore, are not a gun stores average customer.

The average gun shop employee is a salesperson first. Pretty good chance the only experience they have is what their employer has given them.

It's damn near impossible for a young guy who actually knows about guns to get a job at a gun store
    You should talk to the dip shit sales guy at psa who ffls have to talk to. He will say I don’t know anything about anything we sell, I just place your order.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Alternate thread title - Is customer service really this dead?

OK, what's the right response to this situation?

I walk into a gun shop. I'm greeted immediately by a guy who's anxious to show me something, anything. I tell him I'm just browsing to see if any interesting used/old stuff has come in. I'm obviously headed to the case where the old guns taken in on trade are kept.

Without me asking, he puts a reproduction SAA in my hands, then calls attention to some repro shotguns and rifles. I glance over the Glock case and ask if a particular one is a Gen 5 and he pulls it out. I ask if that's a Ruger charger behind the counter. It was and it was.

I didn't ask him to show me stuff. I had told him I was just browsing for interesting used stuff. Yet he put all this rapid-fire effort into trying to shove into my hands anything even slightly related to any small talk I was making. I just wanted him to leave me alone to look at the stuff with the "used" tags.

Then he looks square at me and asks "Are you going to buy anything today?"

"No."

I had been making that clear and trying not to waste his time since I stepped in the door. He just frowned at me and walked away.

And I just walked out.

The encounter really left me in a sour mood, something that's the opposite of the way I usually feel when leaving a gun store.

So is this normal? Am I supposed to buy a gun within 90 seconds of entering a shop or else be made to feel unwelcome?
    Carters? I only ask because that was my last experience there.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    You should talk to the dip shit sales guy at psa who ffls have to talk to. He will say I don’t know anything about anything we sell, I just place your order.
    It's not a big deal if they are upfront.

This was over in NM years ago, can't remember the store name, but was a big store, had at least 6 guys on the floor. On one wall they had an old ammo collection, the centerpiece was a few rounds of those all plastic WANDA shotgun shells. I mentioned to one of the guys that i had a box of them, and that i didn't want to shoot them because of how hard it is to find a full box. Every single one of them swore up and down they were rare dummy cartridges used to ensure guns would feed properly.

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx

This was over in NM years ago, can't remember the store name, but was a big store, had at least 6 guys on the floor. On one wall they had an old ammo collection, the centerpiece was a few rounds of those all plastic WANDA shotgun shells. I mentioned to one of the guys that i had a box of them, and that i didn't want to shoot them because of how hard it is to find a full box. Every single one of them swore up and down they were rare dummy cartridges used to ensure guns would feed properly.
    1680657796974.png

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

I went to a LGS looking to buy a spare mag for my 1911A1. Asked the guy at the counter for a "Standard 7 round magazine for a GI 1911A1 in .45 caliber". He swore up and down that nobody had ever made a 7 round magazine for the 1911. Then he tried to sell me an 8 round 9mm mag for a compact 1911.

I haven't gone back to that store.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Thanks for the clarification.

The last couple of shops I have been into have been exactly as Ben described. Desperation to move something. The places are dead when you walk in. I wonder at times how the bills get paid.

Margins on guns are razor thin, other stuff, ammo, holsters, mags... Thats where the money comes from. The average markup on a serpa holster is like 150-200%. The markup on promags is probably pretty close. Ammo has got a hefty markup, but not near as much

Lot's of shops will sell at gun shows, or gun broker. Of course what is usually the case, they're about to go under.

Top Bottom