• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daley_G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Cypress
    The wife is a realtor and one of her clients (widow) is selling a safe, I have a couple questions:

1. From the client's pictures, it appears to be dimensionally similar to this but has the handle and lock like this.What's a fair price? I want to do right by her without leaving money on the table (obviously).
    2. For those of you have hired others to move your safe(s), what advice do you have? I'm looking at cost as well as anything to look out for. I helped move something likely twice this size once, and am looking to see if I'll be moving this one myself (with help - obviously) or paying someone else's back to do it. Local move.
    3. Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks!
    Capitol Armory ad

Daley_G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Cypress
    Couldn't agree more Cam, and that applies to pretty much anything in this world. I included links in the OP, see the word "this".

ETA: I wish I had more details - like age and specific models.

Here are the pictures I was given:

1672881083612.png

1672881107956.png

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    My 1st gun safe was that size but a combination of those 2, and I paid $650 for it new about 15 years ago. It probably weighs about 600 pounds, so with a good dolly and at least 1 good stout friend, you can move it yourself fairly easy. Unless of course there’s stairs involved in which case you’ll need a cooler full of beer, 4 pizzas, and all your friends.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Couldn't agree more Cam, and that applies to pretty much anything in this world. I included links in the OP, see the word "this".

ETA: I wish I had more details - like age and specific models.

Here are the pictures I was given:

View attachment 366094
    View attachment 366095

Ah, you said "looks similar", as in this size, not actually a Winchester safe, lol.

Go online and price a new one that "looks similar".
    Offer 50%.

Just my .02

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Don’t assume that’s a cheap or light weight safe. I have a Winchester Silverado safe that I bought about 15 years ago. At the time I knew nothing about safes.

Turns out it’s a very well made and very heavy safe.

See if she can send you a picture that should be on the inside of the door. It will look something like this:

bf69aadff98f2322b6f18b8a3852409a.jpg

My safe weighs about 1100# empty according to the guy that has moved it 3 times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Daley_G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Cypress
    Well, the sticker request was a good suggestion but here's what I got:

1672886295152.png

Looks like I'll just have to put eyes on it myself and go from there. She clearly has no idea what she has, which (as we all know) could be go either way.

Thanks to all of you who have provided very helpful info, I'll keep y'all posted...

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My neighbor bought a safe like that from a friend of mine whose husband put a 9 mm in his head. $500 and the two of us moved it with my pickup truck. We did have a dolly we borrowed to help with part of the move, and a blanket to slide it with.

One thing to keep in mind with a safe is that they CAN be moved fairly easily. That's why you want to bolt them to the floor when possible, or a couple of thieves can haul it away to open it at their leisure.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Don't want to try moving it yourself, huh? :)

Maybe give Saylor Lock & Safe a call, they're close by and I've heard they're reasonable on moving prices. Don't have a clue what 'reasonable' means though. Probably should have called myself two years ago.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    1400°-30min is like 2 sheets of drywall and a water balloon in the door. Don't expect it to protect against any heat except maybe leaving the garage door open on a hot day.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I could not tell from the picture if it was a combination lock or electronic. Is the paperwork (instructions) for the safe included? Combination reset? Key to open in emergency? If electronic is the battery compartment chewed up by old batteries? Many of these old safes are not supported by manufacturer. No matter what safe you buy it will be too small.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Well, the sticker request was a good suggestion but here's what I got:

View attachment 366103

Looks like I'll just have to put eyes on it myself and go from there. She clearly has no idea what she has, which (as we all know) could be go either way.

Thanks to all of you who have provided very helpful info, I'll keep y'all posted...

Yeah that looks like one of their lower end safes. $400 seems about right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom