• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    I used to go to the big city ranges, too.

Being an old safety hawk, I always noted some dumb stuff every time.

Then a while back, nice Fall day, I went up to the Carter's Country range in NW Houston, just to check a rifle's sighting.

I forgot my spotting scope, but I did have the 10X big Zeiss binoc's. Set-up and fired a few @ 100 yards, but couldn't see well enough with the binoculars, so waited for the "all clear" break and pulled target.

Hmm, I didn't realize that I had fired this many rounds, and look at all the "flyers"; something is wrong.

Lanes on both sides were empty.

OK, I'll just load a new target and stand-back to watch. Lo, more holes in MY target.

Thee was an older (than me, and that's OLD), Gent TWO LANES DOWN with a gorgeous Mauser-action Manliccher style .308, spiral-fluted barrel, big Nikon scope, and all, hitting MY target.

Err, excuse me Sir, why are you shooting my target, two lanes over? Well, he was properly aiming at HIS target, but scope was way, waaay far off to the right.

I told him to get some advice, packed-up and went home.

Y'all be careful out there !

leVieux
    Military Camp

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Shit happens. Was at a place and the kids two benches over from me put out a bunch of Gords to shoot but were only hitting one out of about 20 shots. I zeroed in and blasted a few with my Laser 22-250. They actually thought they started doing better but couldn't understand why they were now exploding. LOL. Yeah I started the shit but it was funny shit.

Last edited:

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    How many rounds have to completely miss the paper before someone realizes they need to move to a shorter range so they can figure out why they aren’t getting on paper? Hitting the target two lanes over is a long way off.

TVegas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2021
    The Woodlands
    Busy public ranges like that Carter’s Country terrify me every time. They have MANY holes in the ceiling of the indoor gun shop portion from all the “unloaded” guns people have brought in.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I started going to Carter's in the 1970's, when it was "out in the country". It had problems then, but it's steadily gotten worse as it became the closest range for a lot of inner city folk. I have managed to avoid the place for maybe a decade now, but I have more than a few stories - and every one is a good reason to stay away.

I had been shooting awhile and they called a cease fire. I took the required steps to make sure my pistol was unloaded and chamber open on the bench and moved off the firing line. A guy came out of the store with several other people. He seemed to be the leader and was talking about teaching them. Each had a brand new pistol in a box. One of them, a woman, sat down at the bench next to me. She took the revolver out of the box - totally against cease fire rules! - and with the gun pointed along the firing line, she started practicing pulling the trigger and seeing how fast she could fire the not-yet-loaded gun. I said something to her and was met with contempt (I'm being nice in my description). I went and found a range officer and explained the situation to him. He came down the line, but stopped as soon as he got close enough to see her. He said something to me like "It'll be ok" and left. The instant the cease fire ended, I packed up and went inside. I found a manager and explained exactly what happened. I didn't stick around to see if he actually did anything, but he seemed like he would. As dangerous as she was, I have seen much worse.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started going to Carter's in the 1970's, when it was "out in the country". It had problems then, but it's steadily gotten worse as it became the closest range for a lot of inner city folk. I have managed to avoid the place for maybe a decade now, but I have more than a few stories - and every one is a good reason to stay away.

I had been shooting awhile and they called a cease fire. I took the required steps to make sure my pistol was unloaded and chamber open on the bench and moved off the firing line. A guy came out of the store with several other people. He seemed to be the leader and was talking about teaching them. Each had a brand new pistol in a box. One of them, a woman, sat down at the bench next to me. She took the revolver out of the box - totally against cease fire rules! - and with the gun pointed along the firing line, she started practicing pulling the trigger and seeing how fast she could fire the not-yet-loaded gun. I said something to her and was met with contempt (I'm being nice in my description). I went and found a range officer and explained the situation to him. He came down the line, but stopped as soon as he got close enough to see her. He said something to me like "It'll be ok" and left. The instant the cease fire ended, I packed up and went inside. I found a manager and explained exactly what happened. I didn't stick around to see if he actually did anything, but he seemed like he would. As dangerous as she was, I have seen much worse.
    There is a nice peaceful members-only range at El Campo. Although living some 350 miles away, I belonged for years. When I last visited, they had shotgun, plinking, handgun, 25/50 yard, 100 yard, & 300 yard lanes, I think.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom