• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buck Bradley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2024
    Boerne, Texas
    Thanks for your input. I have looked online and after looking at prices it appears each online order will require a nice
    Haz-Mat fee. Not a good thing. Lyman's shows the N340 as the most accurate for a 9mm FMJ and I assume JHP,
    I will be going back online or to some big box stores to get what I need at a reasonable price without the added H-M fee.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    In my experience bullet is more of a factor than powder as far as accuracy. Also take in mind their testing is using a barrel in a ransom rest and not typically an actual firearm. The VV powders are top notch but in a high volume caliber I would look into other options. A pound of titegroup will load over 1700 rounds per pound. You'll use about 20% more VV to get to the same round count.

If you do have to bite the hazmat bullet might as well be looking at buying a couple 8lbers if you can.

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    Have you tried Ferris firearms/ Cedar Ridge gun range in Bulverde. They stock a large selection of powders, bullets, etc. You might call them and see if they can get some for you. I have bought Vihtavuori and Accurate powders there in the past at decent prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Thanks for your input. I have looked online and after looking at prices it appears each online order will require a nice
    Haz-Mat fee. Not a good thing. Lyman's shows the N340 as the most accurate for a 9mm FMJ and I assume JHP,
    I will be going back online or to some big box stores to get what I need at a reasonable price without the added H-M fee.
    You can get free hazmat sometimes at powder valley. Even without that, the cheaper prices will also usually more than make up for the hazmat and shipping if you buy a few pounds at a time.

hornetguy

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Not a good thing. Lyman's shows the N340 as the most accurate for a 9mm FMJ and I assume JHP,
    I'm with @TexMex247 ..... unless you are shooting Bullseye matches, the powder is not going to be the deciding factor in 9mm accuracy.... IMHO, of course.
    There are a LOT of available powders, most of them quite a bit more affordable than the VV stuff, that will very likely give you as good as, or better accuracy....

I'm not knocking it if the VV is what you "have to have".... but sometimes, variety and choice are good things.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels

I am a huge VV fan, and it’s all I use, but the manual’s “best accuracy” powder selection needs to be considered as a “for their testing” results…not necessarily for you.

HelotesChaparral

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2024
    San Antonio
    Cedar Ridge is worth a call.

If your patient some of the online suppliers will run shipping specials but it usually requires a $100 or more purchase. Powder valley is usually the best.

The shooting range in Bandera is also worth a phone call.

I recommend Hodgdon Longshot for 9mm. It is cheap, easy to find, and burns clean. Last time I bought it was at Bass Pro.

DustyDuds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2023
    Fort Worth
    Another option if you are interested in trying a different powder is CFE Pistol which has a similar burn rate to N340.

Of course if you’ve already spent time developing your load then I understand why you would not want to change.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    When Lyman lists a load as "potentially most accurate" it means that's what worked best for them, in their gun, with the exact components listed. Change any of those and you may get different results. Are you also running down all the other specific components?

I'll agree it's a good place to start. But with component supply being iffy these days (years?) many of us are loading what we can, not necessarily what we want. I wouldn't let it delay me trying to find a specific powder.

Sometimes forced components are serendipitous. During one of the prior shortages I used some 700-X and 125gr cast LRN in .38 Special because that's all that was available. Turned out to be an extremely accurate load.

Top Bottom