Join TexasGunTalk

Gun Changes in the Last 50 Years

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by avvidclif, Sep 9, 2019.

Appearance of Guns

1. Classic blued finish and wood grain stock

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. New style pistols with stuff hanging off everywhere

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. New style rifles, Star Wars look-a-likes

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    The 1911 remains popular because over many decades it has proven to be reliable and sturdy. The 1911 has a natural aim, which personally I have never found in a tupperware gun (others may feel differently). And the .45 ACP has also proven to be an effective round.

digger likes this.
  2. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    In a non-AR rifle, I vastly prefer blued finish and wood stocks. To my eyes, the synthetic stocks are ugly.

I view the AR rifles as purely functional and just accept that the stocks are ugly.

digger likes this.
  3. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Plus, your dog can chew on it and it still works, and if all else fails you can beat someone to death with it.

4. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I disagree. There are plenty of non-AR synthetic stocks that aren't ugly. Some are quite striking.

gettyimages-9153161722.jpg

FireInTheWire likes this.
  5. mortdooley

mortdooley Active Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I have an AR because it is a light recoiling rifle shooting ammo that is cheaper to buy and reload than full power hunting rounds. The plastic guns are more utility than style and I have some strictly because they fill a defensive role. The light rail is a major selling point for them. When I manage to go to Gun Shows I am looking for older, discontinued firearms that I like, I generally don't give the new stuff much of my attention.

6. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    I assume that pic is an example of one that is ugly?

digger, Glenn B and benenglish like this.
  7. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Would you prefer one of these?

mikersamp01x640.jpg

prideaust.jpg

8. m5215

m5215 Pistoleer

Sep 3, 2018
    Plano, TX
    Would the Hi-Power not also match this description?

9. grumper

grumper Well-Known

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Lots of designs from the past 50 years are classics in their own right. AK, HK roller locks, P210, Uzi, Sterling, Lugers, etc... Those are considered antique designs and classics now.

The elmer fudd wood and steel guns pre-dating those aren't old school, they are methuselah guns.

10. Glenn B

Glenn B Member TGT Supporter

Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana Area
    Do you mean the shooter or the rifle as not being ugly? As they say there is no accounting for taste; I guess everyone has a different taste even in rifle stocks. Now don't get me wrong, while I would prefer a really nice walnut stock, the rifle in that pic might be an excellent piece and I might not mind having one or something similar. It's just that a bright red stock is not my thing - zombie apocalypse green maybe but just not bright red with what I am guessing is supposed to be a snow leopard scene on it.