• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

SinCityVogel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2022
    Fort Worth
    This is to create more awareness and education for the Guardian program that allows Teachers to carry a firearm during their teaching time at school.
    Volunteer teachers will go through training that allows them to carry a firearm while teaching at school.
    Texas has 2 different programs
    Marshal Program - 80 hours of training gives law enforcement capabilities and responsibilities
    Guardian Program - 16 hours of training gives the teacher the ability to defend themselves until law enforcement arrives
    Note: My wife is currently going through the Guardian program

Requirements to start the training

1. School districts have to approve the program for the teacher that volunteers to participate. Not all school districts have this available.
    2. LTC ( License to carry) this covers the background check.
    3. A psychological evacuation is done by a private practice doctor. Same system that police departments use to vet their new officers.
    4. Insurance policy that covers people that are involved in a self defense situation
    5. A firearm and holster that allows you to carry for a 8+ hour day

Training for guardians include firearms manipulation, active shooter engagement and single man room clearing with the use of simunition type training firearms.
    Instructors are hired by the school district to facilitate this training as well as training companies that have programs for future guardians and marshals.
    Live fire qualification and in some cases a monthly qualification similar to police department quals are required.

Once the teacher completes the training and evaluation, nobody accept the principle knows who is carrying a firearm.
    No list or public knowledge of who is carrying. This keeps everything a secret.
    I think this is a great program and I will support it in any way I can.
    I would like to see the public become more involved as well as the gun community support our teachers with the needed gear and training that will allow them to protect our most important family members.
    Lynx Defense

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Yes, but the requirements are ridiculous. A school employee and LTC holder has already passed multiple, periodic background checks and is already entrusted with the care and safety of students. Why add the psych eval? And if they don't pass the psych eval, why are they still employed by the ISD?

In addition, the training requirements are overkill. While designated personnel can seek out the attacker, most school personnel will be tending to students in classrooms, cafeterias, libraries, and other areas. In an emergency, they will guide the students to a safe place and watch the locked and barricaded entrances....ready to defend from intruders. That's not tactical ops....that's basic home defense. Doesn't take much training to do that.

Also, school boards and administrators woefully understaff their guardians....only having a handful on each campus. Most of those approved are either administrators or good buddies of administration. And, if those few guardians are off campus due to illness, quarantine, or other activities, the campus is SOL.

Want to make the Guardian Program effective? Make it where any employee with a LTC can carry in their district. They just need to notify the administration that they are doing so. The ISD can still provide training and practice opportunities. If there is someone with an LTC that the ISD doesn't want to carry, then have a due-process protocol to address it.....and maybe address if that person should be with the ISD.

Either we're serious about school safety or we're not.....

SinCityVogel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2022
    Fort Worth
    LTC is easy system to apply and keeps the teaches background check current. Some teachers started there carriers 10+ years ago a lot can change in that time.

I can agree on the Psych eval. But we have to work with what we have.

Training is never overkill, Most of these teacher need as much training as we can give them. Why do professionals in any industry/sport train and practice. I'm interested to know what your training and skills are.

So your saying that because the teacher has other duties, they cant stop and neutralize a threat?

The entire school is supposed to be one big "safe place". We could play the scenario game all day. In the end give the teacher as many tools for the tool box.

More reason to help and support the people that are spending a large amount of time with your child. Do you have children?

Some times you have to put a little skin in the game to get the results you want.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Let's break this down....

LTC is easy system to apply and keeps the teaches background check current. Some teachers started there carriers 10+ years ago a lot can change in that time.

School employees receive periodic background checks during their employment. And schools are often informed of any arrests and charges of said employees. And schools are required to suspend and/or terminate employees who pop dirty on those checks. So, school employees are more scrutinized than most LTC holders already.

Training is never overkill, Most of these teacher need as much training as we can give them. Why do professionals in any industry/sport train and practice. I'm interested to know what your training and skills are.
    For the ones who are tasked with intercepting the threat, I agree. But how much training do you mandate to cover a door and prevent a threat from entering your room. This is a home invasion. Most LTCs already have the knowledge to defend their home and person. Unless you want to mandate training for having guns in the home....

So your saying that because the teacher has other duties, they cant stop and neutralize a threat?
    Are you paying attention? I'm saying the exact opposite. A school employee with a LTC who is not one of administration's pet guardians should have more to defend themselves and their students than a stapler and a library book. Most school employees want to protect their students. Why limit them to the same may-issue system that has already been found unconstitutional.?.....

More reason to help and support the people that are spending a large amount of time with your child. Do you have children?

Some times you have to put a little skin in the game to get the results you want.

Skin? I work for an ISD. My wife works for the same ISD. My child is a student at that same ISD. I have more skin in that game than you have wrong in your post.....

The Guardian and School Marshal systems have dramatic flaws that need to be addressed. I've outlined those. Until that is done, it won't be as effective as our schools need it to be.

P.S. Our school did have an incident where the (few) Guardians were utilized. The response time for them to travel the campus to the incident site was two minutes. No employee in that bank of classes were Guardians. Historically, most mass shootings like that average one casualty every ten seconds. I assume you can do the math.....

Last edited:

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    You know the answer to that question. Also, school safety is more than just counter active shooter capability.
    Very true. After our incident, we tightened our security to prevent it from happening again. But no preventative security is foolproof. You have to be able to stop the wolf that gets through the door.

Our administration says the strength of our Guardian program is in the anonymity of the Guardians. My take....if the strength of the program isn't the ability to bring sufficient firepower against a threat, then we're doing it wrong.....

SinCityVogel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2022
    Fort Worth
    seeker I think you're worked up for no reason. Lets just work together with the tools provided. If you don't like it, then get your ass to the streets and fix it. Don't tell me

For now I will adapt to the situation at hand.

I'm just looking to support others. Not get into a argument about what works or doesn't.

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    This is to create more awareness and education for the Guardian program that allows Teachers to carry a firearm during their teaching time at school.
    Volunteer teachers will go through training that allows them to carry a firearm while teaching at school.
    Texas has 2 different programs
    Marshal Program - 80 hours of training gives law enforcement capabilities and responsibilities
    Guardian Program - 16 hours of training gives the teacher the ability to defend themselves until law enforcement arrives
    Note: My wife is currently going through the Guardian program

Requirements to start the training

1. School districts have to approve the program for the teacher that volunteers to participate. Not all school districts have this available.
    2. LTC ( License to carry) this covers the background check.
    3. A psychological evacuation is done by a private practice doctor. Same system that police departments use to vet their new officers.
    4. Insurance policy that covers people that are involved in a self defense situation
    5. A firearm and holster that allows you to carry for a 8+ hour day

Training for guardians include firearms manipulation, active shooter engagement and single man room clearing with the use of simunition type training firearms.
    Instructors are hired by the school district to facilitate this training as well as training companies that have programs for future guardians and marshals.
    Live fire qualification and in some cases a monthly qualification similar to police department quals are required.

Once the teacher completes the training and evaluation, nobody accept the principle knows who is carrying a firearm.
    No list or public knowledge of who is carrying. This keeps everything a secret.
    I think this is a great program and I will support it in any way I can.
    I would like to see the public become more involved as well as the gun community support our teachers with the needed gear and training that will allow them to protect our most important family members.
    Requiring insurance for someone to exercise their God given right to self-defense or their duty to defend others is a very bad idea.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Of course, I voted yes to armed teachers, for I am one. Albeit college and not grade or high school, although I am around high schoolers at the college. My belief is that if you are legal to arm yourself anywhere outside of your home, there should be no other restrictions anywhere else. The idea that I would be more dangerous where there are younger children is ludicrous.

I am certainly not against training, if it is offered and doesn't conflict with my schedule I would probably take it. That being said, I don't think it should be a requirement.

I haven't looked into either of those programs, so my biggest questions is what insurance, and who provides it, and why? Insurance requirements benefits insurance companies, the college doesn't carry insurance for the students as it is, and I am not required to carry insurance because I am armed. What's the difference for a grade school or high school compared to a college?

There are places on the campus I'm not allowed to carry, but those places are allowed to be set by the college, and I believe that is silly. I don't ever feel I am more liable to use my firearm in one place over another.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Requiring insurance for someone to exercise their God given right to self-defense or their duty to defend others is a very bad idea.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    Don't some commie states (such as CA) already require that? Or am I wrong?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    First, why is any of this necessary? It's far too complicated, and should be streamlined!

Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(B), the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 already amended the Federal criminal code to impose criminal penalties for the possession or discharge of a firearm in a school zone, with specified exceptions, including the possession or discharge by an individual as part of a school program or by a law enforcement officer acting in an official capacity, so they're covered there.

What needs to happen is amending Texas law to allow law-abiding citizens to carry in school (and all the other "prohibited places," to be honest) and be done with it.

If the ISD wants to offer legal support in case of a shooting, that's gravy. I'm sure they insure bus drivers, so what's the difference between that and school staff who want to carry?

I also don't get the "law enforcement capabilities and responsibilities" the 80 hour Marshall Program offers? Is that powers of arrest? Not after two weeks of training!

Also, Texas is a Constitutional Carry state, so a LTC shouldn't be a requirement. School employees already go through background checks, why add another one?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Yes, the overburdensome requirements are far too 'hand wringing' and 'pearl clutching' nonsense.

Knock off 90% of them.

Simplify and you'll have a lot more volunteers step up to the plate...

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Ok.

…Lets just work together with the tools provided.…
    You are not provided a tool to work with then. ISDs are provided two options and I’m glad your employee spouse is afforded the opportunity to participate.

..I'm just looking to support others….
    Both programs are onerous and neither is set up to support or facilitate Texas laws in self-defense and defense of others. Many of us have been working with our state reps and thru various PACs to get that changed. Are you involved in efforts such as that?

Where I draw the line is the FSA mentality. I put two kids thru Texas public schools, have one who’s currently a teacher, and pay my ISD taxes. The district wants to adopt these programs, they can fund it out of existing resources. Because I’m sure another football stadium is more important than an holistic district security program.

..Not get into a fight about what works.
    Welcome to the internet.
    814994dfbc26b4ee01818d50f8ebfb0c.jpg

Top Bottom