• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    getting this in trade tomorrow and really don't need a revolver as much as i could use cash. buyer described it having light holster wear near the muzzle.
    now the curious part. i read briefly the 586 was only avail in blue. supposedly only 686 was stainless. i saw a pic and it's clearly stainless.
    has wood grips, i box ammo, soft case.
    would consider partial trade for 9, 10 .223 or 7.62x39 ammo.
    ar ak mags. rail for a colt 6920
    i would add cash for a norinco mak90
    other trades considered
    Venture Surplus ad

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Re: guaging interest- smith & wesson 568 6" for $475

That's a good price if it is not shot out, ask him for the model number on the frame behind the yoke arm. The 586 is blued steel and 686 is stainless. I'm in love with my 586! Good luck with the sale.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas

That's a good price if it is not shot out, ask him for the model number on the frame behind the yoke arm. The 586 is blued steel and 686 is stainless. I'm in love with my 586! Good luck with the sale.

the guy told me it's 586
    how to tell if it's shot out?
    i don't know jack about revolvers

runninmike

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Pflugerville, tx

the 586 was also offered in bright nickel, which can fool some to think it is polished stainless....if it is nickel, it will have case hardened hammer & trigger if original....if it is stainless, it will have stainless trigger & hammer. It will also be clearly marked inside the frame to the left side where the cylinder closes, ie., 586-1.... 686-1, etc.

gunbubba

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009

If it's a 686 then I'm not sure what "holster wear near the muzzle" looks like other than the stainless being a little more shiny from rubbing. If it's a nickle 586 then holster wear can get pretty ugly, but I've only seen that once or twice, if the nickel is cloudy there's nothing you can really do to fix it. Also, it's pretty hard to 'shoot them out', although they can be fired enough that the cylinder lock up isn't what it should be, check it by lowering the hammer while holding the trigger back and see if the cylinder has any 'wobble'. If the pistol is in good shape that is a very good price.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas

I'm certainly interested...
    Would like to see pics, though...
    p

the guy evidently got cold feet. we were supposed to meet b4 work @ 6:15.
    i'm ready with cash. no call. i see him at work. he says he tried to call. i ask if he has it? no he dont.
    i tell him i'll follow him home. he says he and his wife had a fight about it being in his name still. later i remember him previously saying he got it from a friend. i confront him about these conflicting facts. he gets a little flustered. i get pissed and walk away. he knows i'm a little pissed.
    later he says i can follow him to his place in bfe and get it.
    i decline.
    fkn flakes. smh

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas

If it's a 686 then I'm not sure what "holster wear near the muzzle" looks like other than the stainless being a little more shiny from rubbing. If it's a nickle 586 then holster wear can get pretty ugly, but I've only seen that once or twice, if the nickel is cloudy there's nothing you can really do to fix it. Also, it's pretty hard to 'shoot them out', although they can be fired enough that the cylinder lock up isn't what it should be, check it by lowering the hammer while holding the trigger back and see if the cylinder has any 'wobble'. If the pistol is in good shape that is a very good price.
    there was actually a recall on these and some 686's due to jamming with .357 ammo (not .38)
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/123006-586-recall.html
    who ever heard of a revolver jamming. wtf?

txpaulie

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Rosharon

the guy evidently got cold feet. we were supposed to meet b4 work @ 6:15.
    i'm ready with cash. no call. i see him at work. he says he tried to call. i ask if he has it? no he dont.
    i tell him i'll follow him home. he says he and his wife had a fight about it being in his name still. later i remember him previously saying he got it from a friend. i confront him about these conflicting facts. he gets a little flustered. i get pissed and walk away. he knows i'm a little pissed.
    later he says i can follow him to his place in bfe and get it.
    i decline.
    fkn flakes. smh

Sorry for your loss...
    Funny how those that don't know, worry 'bout this stuff...
    I've a friend recently bought a pistol, first one, and was eager to get it registered, so's she could go shoot it...
    fkn flakes. p

gunbubba

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009

there was actually a recall on these and some 686's due to jamming with .357 ammo (not .38)
    586-Recall
    who ever heard of a revolver jamming. wtf?

Here's the work that is done under the recall, from the forum:

"The problem arose when some of the guns, including -1's, were fired with Federal .357 ammo. The primers being softer than other brands, cratered more when struck by the hammer nose, and backed up into the hammer nose bushing, keeping the cylinder from turning when the gun was cocked either by double action or single action. The modification included a new slightly shorter & smaller in diameter hammer nose, and a new hammer nose bushing with a smaller diameter hole for the hammer nose to pass through."

I hadn't heard of the recall, and I've never had any trouble with my 686. Sounds like it's more of a problem with hot loads/soft primers. It's probably worth checking into. Apparently it only applies to the "no dash" and -1 models. Mine is a -4

Top Bottom