Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    GSG 1911

1.jpg

Specifications
    Caliber: .22 Rimfire
    Barrel: 4.5" with Detachable End Adapter (5" OAL)
    Frame: Parkerized Steel
    Slide: Cast Aluminum/Zinc Alloy
    Sights: Interchangeable 3-Dot
    Capacity: 10 Rounds
    Cost: $300 - 350

I am a big fan of 1911s, and after someone mentioned these guns might be worth buying I figured I'd decide to look into it. I held one at the local gun show and gave it a glace over and a month later I bought one from the same retailer at the show.

Initial Impressions

2.jpg

The gun feels good in the hand. It has a solid weight to it thanks to a heavy magazine and steel lower frame and is a full sized 1911A1 replica. True to the A1 model it has a long curved trigger, arched mainspring housing, parkerized finished frame, and a trigger frame cut. The non-traditional components include the 3-dot semi-Novak style sights, which are interchangeable to accommodate ammunition choice, and the large beavertail and commander style hammer.

The slide is made of an aluminized zinc alloy from what I can tell. This is pretty typical of German made products where a lightweight cast metal is needed. You can find alot of zinc-aluminum alloys in their older cars too. It's probably not my favorite choice in a material for this application, but there has to be some corner cutting in materials to make a $300 pistol profitable. This is probably the weakest link in the gun however the breech face is a steel insert for added safety and longevity.

The finish on the gun looks fine, but it is not very durable. Just simple handling and range usage has already worn on an edge or two. Since the slide is non-Ferrous I suspect it has a simple painted finish.

3.jpg

The barrel is very similar to the Walther P22 in that it has a detachable end cap at the muzzle to allow you to change over to a 1/2-28" extended threaded adapter for using muzzle attachments like a silencer. The barrel is non-tilting and fixed so there is no need for a Nielson device (booster) to assist the action when firing suppressed. In fact, due to it's blowback operation the suppressor will improve the cycling by giving a stronger impulse rearward. The downside is that suppressors will gum up an action pretty quickly on a .22 and will feed powder and lead particulate down into the magazine (which is not open on the sides). If you intend to use a suppressor I'd highly recommend using blue loctite on the adapter to prevent it coming loose and sending a round into your baffle stack.

The firing pin is captured in the slide by a retaining pin similar to that on a Ruger 10/22 bolt and is directly driven by the hammer like a traditional 1911. The trigger itself is pretty crappy. It's long, heavy, and full of creep as if it was breed with a S&W Sigma; it feels very much like a wind-up trigger. Thankfully the trigger components like the sear and hammer are interchangeable with other 1911 parts.

5.jpg

ATI says the following parts are to spec and can be interchanged with any aftermarket 1911 components:

Barrel Bushing
    Front & Rear Sight (Colt Dovetail from Appearances)
    Hammer
    Trigger
    Grip Safety
    Mainspring Housing
    Thumb Safety
    Sear
    Disconnector
    Sear Spring
    Grip Panels (Screws and S****ions are Metric)
    Mag Release
    Sear Pin
    Hammer Pin
    Plunger Tube
    Plunger Spring

Shooting Impressions

The gun runs and functions well. It even has a last round lock-back which is pretty cool and gives you a good training platform for a single stack 1911.

4.jpg

The recoil is non-existent and the action is lightweight, making this a perfect starter gun for people new to semi-autos. The safety has good feel but has some spongy feel when it's off-safe.

It'll hold a quarter sized group at 7 yards which is plenty good for a training and/or fun pistol, and had no real issue with CCI Minimags or the Eley Sport.
    DK Firearms

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    How much does this weigh versus a typical 1911 ? Could you measure the pull weight for us or approximate it ? How much are replacement mags ? Thanks - Texmex

There's not a major difference in weight, maybe a couple ounces.

Pull weight is around 5 - 6 lbs.

No idea on the mags.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I own one and have shot tons of craptastic ammo through it. In a box of 500 hollow points I might get up to 10 that got the nose crimped due to a misfeed. It easts CCI without any issues.

You can get magazines from here:

American Tactical Imports Magazines american tactical imports gsg 1911 - www.MidwestHuntersOutlet.com

this is the cheapest place I could find on the internet. Fast cheap shipping and the mags work great.

I love the pistol and only have a few cons to report: 1. There is a rubber washer that acts as a buffer to the recoil spring (I know I'm not using the correct terminology so forgive me). AFter the first 300 shots or so I noticed it was pretty chewed up. ATI includes an extra with the gun. I went out to Home Depot and bought some washers that fit close to the thickness and size as the original. I replaced the chewed up washer with the Depot's and haven't had any issues (shot another 400 rounds or so). 2. The ambi-safety doesn't work for me and my left hand - it is too flimsy. Every time I try to activate the saftey with my left thumb it feels like I'm going to snap the ambi right off and doesn't engage the safety. I'll replace that with a nice steel ambi-safety and it shouldn't be a problem any more. 3. I am not as confident on the durability of the slide due to its light weight and composition. I'm sure it will prove out over time. That's why I shoot it so often, I really want to know it will hold out to typical .22 abuse.

Pros: 1. Love the interchangable front sights. It comes with three and I have adjusted for acuraccy out to 25 yards on the pistol. 2. The feel is just like the .4 acp 1911. The gun is heavy and there is no recoil as Alan mentioned. In fact at times I've often wondered if the pistol even cycled after pulling the trigger. 3. trigger doesn't bother me, the pistol is as accurate as my Ruger 22/45. 4. Take down is similar to a standard 1911, but the mainspring housing can be a bugger getting back together.

I haven't tried the faux suppressor that my model came with so I can't attest to its use. If it doesn't suppress, I'm not interested in using it.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Pruett's had 2 new Sig 1911 .22's in the case. After reading this thread I got real excited that maybe Sig would build one worth owning, but I was wrong. It has the same low quality alloy for several parts, and experiences frequent problems as cited in many threads on the web.

The GSG is really a fine looking pistol, and I would like to buy one when they iron out the kinks. It may actually be same pistol as the Sig, but cost less. It appears that the Sig 1911/22 is a rebranded pistol. There was a surprising number of parts that are interchangeable with a true 1911.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Apparently yes, but I guess the screws are metric versus the standard screws of a 1911. I've switched out multiple grips on my GSG and so long as I use the ambi-safety grips (my model is has the ambi-safety), they fit just fine. Even the Hogue wrap-around grips I own worked.

RoloSport

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I'm glad someone posted this gun, because it's an F'en fantastic gun. I love mine, and shoot it more than any other of my pistols. I've had the ruger mark III, the walther p22, beretta neos, and the buckmark. This 1911 .22 is in my opinion, the best of them all and lets face it, also the sexiest. It has the same feel and actions as your favorite 1911 without the heavy cost of ammo. I've shoot every kind of bulk ammo through it without any problems.

Great review man.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Thread revival! I just ordered one, GSG is offering an $30 rebate on any guns bought before 31 July 2014; and if you hunt around enough, you can find one that with the rebate will end up costing a mere $199. I even checked with my favorite LGS, and they couldn't match the price I got as it was below their dealer cost!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've had one of these for about two years now. It's a SIG marked version but its the same gun as the ATI.
    Have over 10K rounds thru it.
    Some of you have shot it. Robert1024 daughter and friend wore it out a few weeks ago. LoL.
    Use good quality high velocity ammo. Bulk pack stuff is too weak.
    Back when I bought mine lots of folks were having guide rod issues/breakage. Replaced the factory part with a CS Accessories rod and spring. No issues after that.
    The slide is made of a soft metal called ZAMACK. Do NOT drop the slide on empty chamber. Doing so will eventually deform the slide.
    Also get into the habit of not using the slide release. On chambering a round, pull back on the slide and release to close it up. The notch in the slide where the slide release catches will "wallor" out because of the soft metal. Use the slide release sparingly.
    When first out of the box, remove the recoil spring, oil the rails well, and softly hand cycle the gun a few hundred times. This will smooth it out nicely.
    Like any 22 semi pistol they do gum up with extended firing. Keep it clean as possible for best cycling.

Buy extra mags. DO NOT DROP THE MAGS ON HARD SURFACES. They're made of similar soft metal and if the mags bend/deform you're screwed. Mags are pricey to boot. The mags are easy to field strip and clean.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've got a GSG 1911, too and I like it. The ambi thumb safety feels a bit weird, like the geometry is a bit off, but other than that it's a good .22lr approximation of a 1911. I haven't really shot it all that much, tho. My MarkIII get's all the .22 pistol love.

I love mine too more than the Sig Skeeter.
    Uhg... I had a Mosquito and hated it. As strange as it sounds, I think it had trigger slap. It was ammo picky, too. Best thing about it was the neon greenish yellow dots on the sights were very eye catching.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Honestly, I skimmed the review because it was apparent you were going to say the same things I keep hearing.

If I wanted a 1911 "simulator", the GSG is the only one I'd really consider. It also appears to be a solid .22 auto in its own right.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Zinc aluminum is a nice way to say "pot metal" and is why I sold the Walther p22. There is enough evidence that the stuff is not good for guns and should remain in its best use, toy cars.

profound thinking about stuff

Top Bottom