• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Had grits with left over pulled pork, bacon & eggs this morning. I only like grits if they have any form of meat in them. Bacon, sausage, ham or my favorite crackling grits! The wife only likes them with butter & lots of pepper. I love shrimp & grits but the wife has taking over breakfast & I can only imaging the mess she would make of true shrimp & grits.

I'l eat them cooked in water, broth or milk/cream. The milk /cream tend to make me want to add cheese to them. I cannot eat sweet grits no matter how they are sweetened.

I worked with a guy who ate his grits with lots of yellow mustard on them. Hot sauce aint bad! Chicharrón's cooked in a red sauce & grits are something I fix for myself. The wife will bitch when she gets home about the smell.
    Texas SOT

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    My favorite way to eat grits is with butter and shrimp. I don’t care for them sweetened either. Sometimes it put cheese on them if I’m in the mood.

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    Lately, I've been eating grits with scrambled eggs in them. I'll eat them sweetened with brown sugar as well, but I've been on health kick recently an am trying to keep unnecessary carbs out of my diet.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I never did care for the white grits like most people are used to seeing. But, I sure do like me some of the yellow stone ground grits. They have more texture and better flavor than "normal" grits. The thing is, they are hard to find.
    It wasn't easy find them when I was living in South Carolina. If I did find them, they were in a store aimed at tourists and the price was ridiculous. Luckily, I had family in Virginia right on the North Carolina line. There was an old mill there that still ground flour, meal, and grits. Whenever I would go visit, I'd get a bag or two and when they'd visit me, they would bring some with them. $2.99 for a 2 pound bag. Right now I have 2 bags in the freezer.
    We like them with over easy eggs and we like to make shrimp and grits.

DBGrits.jpg

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    What are these grits y’all speak of and why is no bacon in this thread? Gotta keep an eye on you guys.

I see Txoddball is ok.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Mieliepap was sever in one bush camp that I hunted in with just about every meal. It was cooked in the Mandela Microwave (Dutch Kettle) next to the fire.

Polenta is yellow grits that I have ate at some Italians. Growing up my dad made fried mush, kind of a white trash polenta. Corn meal is boiled until thick, the set up in loaf pans. That sliced then fried.

When I started working in the meat department I learned about Scrapple. It’s mush with pork scraps in it.

I seem remember my old friend Ralph getting stone ground yellow grits at Canton!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I prefer them with too much butter and salt. Then I like to let them cool until they're just warm and firming up.

Also, when I make grits, I stand over them and stir the ENTIRE time. No breaks, ever! Lumps are a deal-killer for me. The first time I had grits at one of my aunts, her grits were incredibly lumpy and her family just mashed the lumps with the tines of their forks. Totally uncivilized!

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    Grandfather use to grow the corn and have some made into grits at the local mill. Had those plain with butter, salt and pepper, good stuff for breakfast.

Dinner goes to the shrimp and grits variety, usually with a nice smoky type cheese. and a good sausage too.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    One of the wife's offerings is triple cream cheese grits with blackened shrimp. The grits are so good I forget the shrimp is on the menu.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Well, as my cousin,Vinny, once asked..what the hell is a grit? But once he tasted them, well....he kinda liked them. They were even used in a movie as evidence.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Never cared for them.
    I'll take biscuits, sausage gravy, a couple of over-easy eggs, and some almost burnt hash browns, please!
    Please keep the gravy separate from my biscuits. I'm going to need 1/2 a biscuit to sop up my eggs and I'll pour the gravy on the rest of the biscuits and the hash browns. Wee-doggie! I done worked me up an appetite!

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Decades ago, I heard a preacher (not sure where) tell the story about ordering breakfast in the south. When he got his platter it had grits on it -with which he was not familiar. He called the waitress over, pointed at the grits, and asked her what that was. "Grits", said she. "Well I didn't order them", said he. She replied, "well, 'round here when you order breakfast grits just come automatically."

That preacher went on to preach a very powerful (and obviously memorable) sermon about how God's grace was like grits - you don't have to ask for it, it just comes automatically!

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Decades ago, I heard a preacher (not sure where) tell the story about ordering breakfast in the south. When he got his platter it had grits on it -with which he was not familiar. He called the waitress over, pointed at the grits, and asked her what that was. "Grits", said she. "Well I didn't order them", said he. She replied, "well, 'round here when you order breakfast grits just come automatically."

That preacher went on to preach a very powerful (and obviously memorable) sermon about how God's grace was like grits - you don't have to ask for it, it just comes automatically!
    Great analogy

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom