Good shops that carry Type 56 SKS/C&R Firearms in general around Austin?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ywwuyi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2024
    Austin
    I've been into collecting C&R firearms in general and was looking for good Type 56 SKS for a while. Any shops around Austin you would recommend me to take a shot and hunt treasures?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You're better off going to gun shows, online deals (get your 03 FFL if you don't have one already!) or even better, finding private sales.

My experience has been most gun shops are overly proud of their milsurp C&R offerings.

Also note note all SKS rifles are on the C&R list!

That list only shows the Russian, Romanian and Albanian versions as being eligible.

However, per the ATF, "Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age."

So being manufactured before 1974 is all that should be required, but some gun shops may only go by the ATF list.

ywwuyi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2024
    Austin
    You're better off going to gun shows, online deals (get your 03 FFL if you don't have one already!) or even better, finding private sales.

My experience has been most gun shops are overly proud of their milsurp C&R offerings.

Also note note all SKS rifles are on the C&R list!

That list only shows the Russian, Romanian and Albanian versions as being eligible.

However, per the ATF, "Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age."

So being manufactured before 1974 is all that should be required, but some gun shops may only go by the ATF list.
    Thanks for the pointer!
    I went to the gun show in Leander this weekend and found 2 SKS that were peculiarly expensive (~$850 with serial not matching). I do have a 03FFL, although I got it when I was in California to circumvent the online ammo ban.
    I shall wait for some good private deals and roam online more often for good SKS deals. Unfortunately some online gun shops are exceedingly restrictive on shipping to a 03FFL - even if the item I'm about to purchase is on the ATF list!

Top Bottom