• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    The best shooter I ever had was my Ed Brown Kobra Carry. Would shoot a 5 shot group that had a striking resembelance to a 4 leaf clover at 25 yards from a Ransom rest. I liked my Executive Carry better (less aggressive checkering) but the groups it shot from a ransom rest were not quite as tight. It took an Eisenhower Silver Dollar to cover the group at 25 yards. You could usually cover the Kobra Carry cloverleaf group with a Kennedy half dollar. Of course, my groups at 25 yards were not nearly as tight but I could usually put them all in a 10 ring of a B27 target with an occasional flyer at 25 yards when I was shooting them every week.
    DK Firearms

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    My Dan Wesson 15-2 and a box of semi wadcutters.
    Best handgun shooting I've ever done.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    One of my guns is a S&W Shield 45 acp, great shooting gun. Surprised about the recoil with a short barrel, hardly noticed, must be the way it sits in my hand.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Ruger P89, could not hit the ground with it, hated the slop in the trigger. Had Llama Max-1 1911 style that was a rack driver out of the box. Lost it in a fire, bought 2 others that were .marginal at best

I've got a Ruger P89 that is sweet. The only thing I don't like about it is that the safety is backwards from most all other pistol safeties. When I shoot it, I flip the safety lever the wrong way out of habit. But I still like that gun.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    I've got a Ruger P89 that is sweet. The only thing I don't like about it is that the safety is backwards from most all other pistol safeties. When I shoot it, I flip the safety lever the wrong way out of habit. But I still like that gun.
    I loved the way the P89 fit my hand, but the trigger! Made me realize I am a single action Auto guy. 1911's and FN High Powers for me

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    My top 5 best are...

Grand power xcalibur

Browning hi power

Smith and Wesson 28-2

Cz 75

I didn't rank them in order because it's just not possible but these 5 never disappoint.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    A handgun is all about the shooter and how the pistol fits him. A rifle is much more about the rifle.

I have a cheap Winchester bolt action rifle that I bought many years ago as a backup for my deer rifle. I tried different reloads in it to see what ammo did best. It puts anything I load in a tight pattern. That deer rifle - Remington BDL - only did well with certain loads - heavy and slow bullets. I moved to upstate NY for a job and while there met the factory shooter for Remington and some of the retired factory guys, and I asked them how the cheap rifle outperformed the more expensive one. They told me that manufacturers push the dies as far as they can to save money. So the first barrels have a diameter at the absolute max, and as the die wears, the later barrels have a diameter at the absolute minimum. Most hunters will never know the difference, as they really don't shoot many rounds. If you get a barrel in the middle of a run, it's likely to be a great shooter. Their advice was to keep the most accurate rifle and use the lesser accurate guns for trade bait. I ended up getting rid of that Remington (because of accuracy and problems with the safety) during some hard times, but I kept that Winchester.

As for pistols, I had a really nice Sig 227 that I bought new and carefully broke in. But there was something about the way it sat in my hand that just didn't work. I never could get it to settle down and every other pistol I owned out-shot it. I traded it and I understand the guy who ended up with it loves it. My son had a similar issue with a Beretta. Great pistol, but somehow it just didn't line up right in his hand.

DCD327

US ARMY veteran.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Pennsyltucky.
    I believe they are all slightly different regardless.
    As someone already said, pistols are about feel, but rifles really shouldnt matter, its all the trigger man.

Ive bought matching rifles on the same day a couple times.

All were different. One shot better with tighter groups.

One time on a match set about 1995, heavy barrel stainless 882ss marlin 22 mags.(very sought after now)

My sons rifle was an absolute tack driver, @100 yards you could cut the inch bull out.
    Mine was , well, just weird. It would put 4 in the same hole, then throw one 4 inches out, and the flyer would be whole way around the clock. Absolutely no consistency where the flyer might go.

After 25 years, both those rifles still shoot the same too.
    My sons has thousands of rounds shot, still a tack driver.
    Mine, still throws a flyer about every 4th or 5th shot. I tried everything. New scope, mounts, free floated the stock, etc, etc. Still does it.

I was talking of selling it last year and my son said since it was our 1st matched set of rifles, and his 1st rifle, and he grew up hunting with me with those rifles, he ask that i keep my rifle for him to keep the set together.

Fine by me. I have zero intention on using it much. He can have that damn thing.

I got 2 Cz 455 varmints in 22 mags that can hit pop cans @ 300 yards all day long. I use them now.

In fact, most rifles i buy now are CZ. Have not seen one yet thats not a tack driver. Their in box triggers are awesome. Old school machine work. Theyre actually competition grade shooters right out of the box.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are several very good reasons that mid-size GLOCK's remain so popular. I often find myself leaving all sorts of fancy stuff in safe and wearing my G26 or G19.

Often, new folks ask "Which is the best for CC?" My most often reply is "The one most likely to BE THERE when needed!"

A good starter, especially for those not really familiar with firearms is a J-frame .38spl.

If I could keep only one, it would be a toss-up between G19 & G26.

leVieux

Rick

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I wouldn't own a Colt revolver. When they ceased production years ago, they went stupidly expensive, simply because they had stopped making them. And people are still paying stupid prices for them.

IMO, the S&W revolvers are ten time better, and a lot more sturdy. Personally, I had many of the same issues shooting them as you did, hence why I wouldn't own one.
    Except maybe a SAA in 45LC?

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    As much as I really like the looks of the Colt SAA, that grip design just doesn't work well for me as far as shooting them, regardless of the cartridge. And the Colt SAA is an iconic gun without a doubt. The history of Hollywood westerns would have been lost without it!
    I’ve never owned one but have lusted after a case hardened version I have a line on right now. Iconic it is. We’ll see if I can buy it without also buying divorce papers in the process.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Not sure of how well the concept holds up with others, but early on I was taught that you should be able to pick a (relatively) distant target in a safe direction, close your eyes, and then draw your (confirmed empty) pistol and aim it at said target.

If the sights and point of aim are more or less dead on, then the pistol's ergonomics are well suited to the shape and size of your hand. If not, then you'll have some adjusting of your grip to compensate.

I had an CZ-75 SP-01 that seemed to be magnetically attracted to whatever I blind-pointed it at, regardless of the distance; the shape of the grip is just luxurious and well suited to my bear paws. Although I could shoot reasonably well enough with a Generation 4 Glock 24C, I found as a result of the blind point test I'd always have to adjust my grip and the way it sits in my hand slightly just before shooting to get similar accuracy out of it -- meanwhile, I got the chance to test drive a new Generation 5 Glock 19x with the interchangeable back straps, and found one that was closer to the SP-01 than the Glock 24C in terms of shootability for me, again using the blind test. Finally, I tried out a USGI 1911 once and found that my hand structure was so unsuited to the shape of the grip that I would be able to use it to hit the Earth with if it wasn't for gravity.

Top Bottom