• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    Anyone know of one that has a lot of stickies for general maintenance stuff?

I have been ignoring and abusing my truck for too long and it's catching up to me. Brake job tomorrow, well front ones anyways since I have no idea how do the rear drums. Think I might just go ahead and replace the whole unit instead of just the pads.
    Lynx Defense

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    There's a good handful. For a while I was on FSC and ORC (still Mod there).

Not sure which forums are active these days.

What I'll tell you now that you'll be told on a Chevy forum is get a Chilton's manual for your truck. Chilton's, not a Hayes. Chilton's has better pictures and directions. Or do a thorough search online for pics and directions.

What year truck? 88-98? Get your DOT 3 or 4 fluid, whatever is recommended in your owners manual. As for pads and shoes, I always got Wagoner pads/shoes that always did pretty well with a lifetime warranty. It was like the $50 set. I hate rear drums, you need 5 extra hands Check your bleeder screws and give them a shot of PB blaster for at least a day. They'll break loose pretty easy. Also get some clear 1/4" hose to put over the screws to overflow into a coke bottle. For easy one person brake bleeding, look into a bleeder vacuum kit.

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    96 Yukon 2dr 4x4. The rotors and calipers have never been replaced as far as I know. When I changed the pads about 40k ago one rotor was scored so I'm just gonna replace everything. Trying to figure out what it is gonna take to pull the rotors, if the are attached to the hub, or if they have to be pressed out.

I'm gonna swing by half price and see if a can grab one of those manuals.

What sites are FSC and ORC?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Nope, your rotors will just be placed on the wheel studs.

FSC - fullsizechevy.com

ORC - Off-road.com

I've got my manual packed away somewhere in these boxes. If you really get stuck, holler at me and I'll dig it out and can help you out.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    chevytruckworld

I've been there for years. Lots of good guys and ideas.

Regarding brakes: pads are usually the only part that needs replacing. Your rotors can be turned unless they're horribly grooved.

Top Bottom