• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Since all of the fancy multiple blade razor cartridges are now more costly than a box of ammo, I'm looking to going back to a double edge safety razor. I don't want a collectible, just one to use. I guess it's off to Ebay to see if I can find someone's grandpa's old razor.
    Gun Zone Deals

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Not a chance I’ll ever go back to a “safety” razor. Too many nicks and cuts.

Life is too short, and at this point in my life I’ve got more money than time.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Merkur Titanium handle, $50ish, box of 100 double edged safety blades by Wilkinson, $20ish, and you're good for a couple of years. Better shave by far than the disposable crap, for a fraction of the cost. And forget about Harry's. That's just a gimmick subscription owned by one of big manufacturers.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I got back into shaving with a safety razor a few years back. That's what I learned on. In fact, dad taught me by removing the blade and putting Barbasol on my face and letting me "shave" it off.

You can buy a pack of 100 safety blades pretty cheaply, and razors are reasonable. Soap is inexpensive.

I wouldn't want to use one everyday, but now that I'm retired and shave two-three times a week it's worth it. It's definitely a closer shave.

As far as cost, it's still cheaper to buy the box of 52 Schick double-edge razors at Sam's for about $25. That lasts you a year if you go through one disposable per week. But that lacks the novelty of whipping up your own soap with a badger hair brush and lathering it on.

I think the safety razor takes us back to a era when we had more time to spend on luxuries and were not always trying to find ways to cut corners and save time. There was something about a hot towel on your face followed by a barber's shave that makes one feel pampered!

Last edited:

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I think I pay $22 for a sleeve of 100 blades, a jar of soap is $5. I shave about twice a week and use a new blade each time. At 22 cents a blade i'm not soaking a blade in mineral oil. The soap lasts all year. A regular badger brush is $8 and my current one has lasted about 4 years now. No mold or smell and it still works. The expensive parts are the handle, and sometimes a little stand to hang it all on.

Without a stand, you're spending $80 for a solid year, year and a half of shaving. The next year of shaving is $27. Its been a long while since I've bought the 17 blade cartridges, but I remember them being terribly expensive.

The only catch is sometimes TSA will confiscate your DE blades. I asked one guy and there basically isn't a set standard but it is a razor blade and thats kinda no-no, but at the same time the supervisor explained most TSA checkers have no idea what a DE handle is and let it go.

SlimJim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    US
    No one uses an electric razor? Can't remember my brand but it is 2 years old and does an amazing job. I got a trimmer for the sideburns. I keep a few disposable around for traveling.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Cheap bastard that I am, I use a Wahl Senior clipper, it's barbershop quality.

I bought it about 20/25 years ago.

I mow my beard every 7/10 days with it and snip/snip/trim with a pair of scissors on my mustache portion.

I haven't taken a razor to my face since...can't remember exactly...decades.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I learned to shave with a Rolls Razor. It is a cross between a straight and safety razor. Its metal case has a strip one one side and a hone on the other. The case has a mechanism to stop and hone the head.

I used mine until the army made me send it home in basic training. For some reason it never got there.

Granddad gave it to me brand new. He used them and when the stone or strip got damaged, he would use his spare while the damaged one was being repaired.

If you can find one in good usable shape they are worth considering.

Google it ..... rolls razor... see what is available . I know there is a guy who refurbs them.

Top Bottom