• ...and so much more!
  • SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I worked outside with telco (the big one) for 32 years and used several different brands. Spending alot of time in the bucket truck, in winter my main focus was staying protected from the elements. You know yourself that once your hands get cold, it's game over. I found that a pair of wool gloves from the Army/Navy store did very well. Only trouble with any gloves for me was handling the 26-gauge wires so thus cut the fingertips out. Then the fingers got cold. Luckily living in Texas those days were not regular. I also used the gloves fishing for Crappie in cold winter with jigs.
    Hurley's Gold

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I worked outside with telco (the big one) for 32 years and used several different brands. Spending alot of time in the bucket truck, in winter my main focus was staying protected from the elements. You know yourself that once your hands get cold, it's game over. I found that a pair of wool gloves from the Army/Navy store did very well. Only trouble with any gloves for me was handling the 26-gauge wires so thus cut the fingertips out. Then the fingers got cold. Luckily living in Texas those days were not regular. I also used the gloves fishing for Crappie in cold winter with jigs.
    I had an old pair of military mittens that had cuts in the palm so you could get your fingers (mainly trigger finger) out of the mitten. I don’t remember if the thumb coming out. They came with some pretty heavy weight wool gloves.

When I left for Texas I left them behind. My brother who was a lineman spotted them & ended up with them for work.

magholder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2021
    Utah
    I use Mechanix gloves for most of what I do outside including riding my motorcycles. However they are a little too bulky for me in shooting. I typically only wear gloves if I HAVE to. But do want something for winter shooting as well.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    For all but the coldest temps, I really like my Oakley Tactical SI lightweight gloves. They're not very thick, so they won't work for actual manual labor very long, but for shooting they are awesome.

magholder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2021
    Utah
    For all but the coldest temps, I really like my Oakley Tactical SI lightweight gloves. They're not very thick, so they won't work for actual manual labor very long, but for shooting they are awesome.
    I am now remembering I have a pair of those Oakley Tactical SI gloves somewhere! Need to start digging to find them apparently!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Columbia makes some light weight gloves that are warm enough, but you can shoot with them.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Try some ladies' gloves. they are usually made of thinner leather and are insulated less or even unlined. Get the smallest pair that you can get into, and let them stretch to fit like a second skin. Works for me.
    @justmax modeling his new gloves.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118-194657~2.png
      Screenshot_20220118-194657~2.png
      72.7 KB · Views: 89

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    I’ve also been looking for gloves for shooting and keeping my fingers warm when cold, mainly for run-n-gun 5K and 10k biathlon competitions. At my first biathlon, I cut my bare hand and fingers up at the very top of the first fence-climbing obstacle, so I had to deal with that for the remaining 5 miles of the course. After that, I said never again and decided I needed a decent pair of gloves - a pair for cold weather and a pair for not so cold weather since you never know what the weather’s going to be like the day of the event. Complicating matters is that I also needed gloves with decent grip. Some of the obstacles include tree-climbs, an 8’ wooden wall climb and a rope climb where grip really helps.

I’ve tried Mechanix gloves, but while they’re decent enough for wrenching on my truck, they’re not thin or dexterous enough for shooting, at least not for me, and the different pairs I have of that brand never kept my fingers warm. I’m guessing they sell a winter pair, though. I just haven’t tried them.

I soon found out most winter gloves, while offering decent warmth, were just too thick for shooting. And most “shooting” or thin, dexterous gloves, still left my hands and fingers cold. And so far, the only “super grip” gloves I’ve found are a bit too bulky and just not warm enough for cold temps.

I still haven’t found a glove that does all three (warmth, dexterous and grip), but I’m still looking. The closest I’ve found are the P.I.G. brand of gloves which offer the dexterity for shooting and a slightly thicker shooting/winter glove that, while not as thin and dexterous as their regular shooting gloves, still works good enough for me when it’s cold out. They’re a bit pricey, but I splurged for both. They both work well, but they still lack the super grip I’d like for things like tree climbs (tree branches can be a bit slippery, even when dry, and not to mention much more so when they’re wet).

Anyway, looking forward to more responses to see what others’ experiences have been.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Review: Drake Waterfowl MST refuge gloves
    Cycling in low 20's weather, these were adequate. Fingers a little cold but not bad.

These glove have the longest fingers I have ever seen, though. Very tight fitting around the wrist.

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I use the Head brand sold at Costco, it’s a stretch fabric glove that fits my large hands and keeps them warm. They have the grip palms and interf with my phone.
    about $10

Attachments

• CA5B5067-3B8D-45AE-9410-DCC99F767F02.jpeg
      CA5B5067-3B8D-45AE-9410-DCC99F767F02.jpeg
      70.6 KB · Views: 40

mountainbull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2020
    montana
    I do construction work here in Montana, year round, we just had -40 nights and 20 below during the day.
    Try a pair of exam gloves then the thinnest glove you can work with. The exam gloves make a huge difference!

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Outdoor Research Suppressor gloves:
    Nomex back, leather palm, nice fit... heard good things, seen several well used pairs holding up and have a pair in the mail to me as we sleak

Mechanix gloves:
    Full synth, expect a few models cheap and easy to get. Durability is so-so, but for the price I've been very happy.

I had a pair of Plainsman gloves many years ago. They fit well and lasted.

Warmth and thickness are nearly proportional... some gloves do better than others, but you'll never have a glove that is shooting glove thin be warm... I'd suggest some mittens to wear over your preferred shooting gloves until it is time to shoot.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Top Bottom