• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Looking for gloves to protect from the cold, but still thin enough to use for shooting. Can't find the ones I bought decades ago that worked well, but it is time to locate some replacements.

Any recommendations?
    ARJ Defense ad

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I just had to pick up a new set of mechanics type gloves last week. I got a $9 pair from O'Reilly's - "Power Torque" brand. Nice grippy palms, some thin knuckle protection, fabric back. I was using them earlier while doing some work outside, because the wind chill was making my hands cold. They worked well to block that wind, I would definitely consider them for pistol shooting. Rifle shooting - depends on the rifle. An AR with a free float, skinny hand guard I probably want leather palms but a sporter type gun, or an AR with heat shielded hand guards, sure.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Mechanix Wear gloves.

I started using them years ago when they first came out, and found they work for things other than just doing mechanic work. I have spent a small fortune over the years on them. They just work so well for so many things, including keeping your hands warm when working in cold weather.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I wore Mechanix gloves that wore out to fast for my liking. Bought a pair of First Spears and have been very happy with them.

The last year I worked the renfest my Budweiser keg guy gave me a pair of work gloves they use. They are much better then Mechanix.
    For the prices they are charging, they better be much better!

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Looking for gloves to protect from the cold, but still thin enough to use for shooting. Can't find the ones I bought decades ago that worked well, but it is time to locate some replacements.

Any recommendations?
    Hatch Resister. Not so great for the cold but not terrible either. Good shooting glove IMO for my pistols like Beretta 92FS, Glock 19 or 26. The ones I have, have lasted a long time in good shape with little care.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I wore Mechanix gloves that wore out to fast for my liking. Bought a pair of First Spears and have been very happy with them.

The last year I worked the renfest my Budweiser keg guy gave me a pair of work gloves they use. They are much better then Mechanix.

That OIG glove is very similar to and much cheaper than some Outdoor Research gloves we were issued. I’d pay the $35 for them if I was the OP.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I buy the two-pack of "Plainsman" gloves at Sam's. I think they're about $20 for two pair, and come in light brown, reddish brown, and black.

Goatskin?

I'm not sure what type of leather they are, but they are comfortable and well made.

I use them for work gloves and always have a newer pair for dress. I always have a couple of pairs in the truck in case I need them.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Try some ladies' gloves. they are usually made of thinner leather and are insulated less or even unlined. Get the smallest pair that you can get into, and let them stretch to fit like a second skin. Works for me.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Yes, but you have dainty hands!!!

Isotoners?
    They are not the bear paws that you carry, but they were smaller when I first started this. I was out hunting one day when I was a kid. When I went for my gloves, I realized I had grabbed my mothers gloves by accident. Barely got them on, but did, and they worked great.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    They are not the bear paws that you carry, but they were smaller when I first started this. I was out hunting one day when I was a kid. When I went for my gloves, I realized I had grabbed my mothers gloves by accident. Barely got them on, but did, and they worked great.

There is so much WRONG with that post that I'm just going to leave it alone!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Thanks for all the input.
    Hey O,

Go down the weld supply shop.

Get a pair of TILLMAN ..........TIG gloves...one size smaller than you normally wear.

Will last for years...

1642378296880.png

They come either in "Kid" hide or "Pigskin".....

I have used both with good success...

Later, Mark

Top Bottom