• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Been thinking about buying another Glock, either a 17 or 19, just to have one. I've got a G27, that I use with a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags. Mine G27 is a Gen 4. It has been completely reliable, even with the 9mm barrel.

I'm wondering whether Gen 5 offers any advantages over earlier models. And some people seem to swear by the old Gen 1 and Gen 2 models as better built, more reliable, etc.

So, for those who have one or have had one, what's your opinion. Which do you prefer and why?
    Texas SOT

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    If you're a Glock hater, this thread is not for you. I'm sure I'm wasting my virtual breath, but I'm seeking honest opinions about different generations of Glocks, not a debate about Glocks vs. other brands. I've got plenty of other brands.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I got a Gen 4 Glock 19 as opposed to a new Gen 5, because the clerk at Academy showed me a spot on the Gen 5 where the parts weren’t lined up correctly and this could wear on the skin of a concealed carrier.

I also prefer the grip finger grooves and the Gen 5 doesn’t have those.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    The trigger on the 5th gen finally feels like a trigger is supposed to feel. Crisp, clicky and sharp, with a short reset. The finish of the slide is so much more aesthetically pleasing too.
    Sadly there won't be any 5th gen ones in anything but 9mm. Dunno what they're going to do with the other calibers.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My personal breakdown and opinion.

The Gen 2s don't have a light rail and just look funny to me.

The Gen 3 is the best if the grip and finger grooves fit your hand properly.

Gen 4 is great if the finger grooves are good but you need to adjust grip length.

Gen 5 is great if the finger grooves bother you and you need to adjust grip depth.

I own or have owned Gen 2 through 5 and like them all for different reasons but a full sized (not SF) Gen 3 G21 fits my hand like a glove.

They are all great guns but the little changes are the biggest deciding factor. The Gen 3s are pretty cheap (especially LEO trade ins) so if they fit you well save a few bucks.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I have owned Gens 2-5. I am a big fan of the Gen 4s for the smaller calibers. I like the finger grooves and adjustable backstraps. The glock 21 gen 3 fits my hand perfectly.
    Didn't notice any difference in reliability or build quality between all of the different generations and that is the most important take away.

I think the Gen4(finger grooves) or Gen5(no finger grooves) are the best so far in regards to customizing the gun to your hand. Supposedly the finish they used on the gen 3 is the most durable but my gen4 is my go to pistol and its finish is holding up fine. Gen 5's finish is nice looking too but I haven't really used it enough to find out how well it holds up

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I had a Gen 4 G19 and it had some teething issues with erratic brass ejection including in my face. A new RSA from Glock and paying for a new ejector fixed that. The finger grooves didn't really bother me as it still fit my hand. I didn't really like the slide finish.

The slide finish on the Gen 5 is much nicer and I found I liked the lack of finger grooves. I absolutely hate the half moon cutout on the front strap of the G19 though. That wasn't an issue on the G17 and I found with the lack of finger grooves, the G17 fit my hand better.

If I were to buy another Glock, it'd either be the G45 or the Gen 5 G17. If I were looking at a G19, I'd probably go back to the Gen 3. I wouldn't buy a Gen 4 again.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I had a Gen 4 G19 and it had some teething issues with erratic brass ejection including in my face. A new RSA from Glock and paying for a new ejector fixed that. The finger grooves didn't really bother me as it still fit my hand. I didn't really like the slide finish.

The slide finish on the Gen 5 is much nicer and I found I liked the lack of finger grooves. I absolutely hate the half moon cutout on the front strap of the G19 though. That wasn't an issue on the G17 and I found with the lack of finger grooves, the G17 fit my hand better.

If I were to buy another Glock, it'd either be the G45 or the Gen 5 G17. If I were looking at a G19, I'd probably go back to the Gen 3. I wouldn't buy a Gen 4 again.
    There is something magical about a gen5 17. Someone at one of the meets had one and it was just on point for me when I shot it.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Supposedly the finish they used on the gen 3 is the most durable but my gen4 is my go to pistol and its finish is holding up fine. Gen 5's finish is nice looking too but I haven't really used it enough to find out how well it holds up

The Gen3 (and early Gen4) finish was by far most durable, if memory serves...Later Gen4 finish, not so much - seemed to wear pretty damn quick once they stopped using the Tennifer coating. Gen5 finish however seems to be holding up great....

One note - the Gen5 forced me to completely retrain some minor (but significant) aspects of my grip, as was accidentally pushing up the new ambi slide-lock (left handed) - Now that I'm used to that, it's a toss-up between Gen4 and Gen5.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    The Gen3 (and early Gen4) finish was by far most durable, if memory serves...Later Gen4 finish, not so much - seemed to wear pretty damn quick once they stopped using the Tennifer coating. Gen5 finish however seems to be holding up great....

One note - the Gen5 forced me to completely retrain some minor (but significant) aspects of my grip, as was accidentally pushing up the new ambi slide-lock (left handed) - Now that I'm used to that, it's a toss-up between Gen4 and Gen5.
    Ok thats what it was. I must have an earlier Gen 4 then. Thanks

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Gen 5. Slide is more durable than the gen 4 guns, better RSA system than gen 1-3's, backstraps are better than the take it or leave it gen 1-3 setup.

Better triggers than 1-4, especially gen 4's. Harder to assemble incorrectly, accessory rail slot is picatinny sized. Also there's no BTF with gen 5 guns. Gen 4 and even quite a few gen 3 guns will toss them into your face

People like to talk up how durable the early gen 3 finishes were, but even though the color may be gone, the finish is still there and should protect your gun.

My 19x has over 15k through it, and about 10 malfunctions, all caused by ammo that had been in our ranges dud bucket for some unknown amount of time

Point Blur_Aug122019_145948.jpg
    Point Blur_Aug122019_150010.jpg
    Point Blur_Aug122019_150033.jpg

Also, no finger grooves, and the contoured front helps with reholstering, unless you have a WML

Attachments

• Point Blur_Aug122019_145948.jpg
      Point Blur_Aug122019_145948.jpg
      700.1 KB · Views: 730
    • Point Blur_Aug122019_150010.jpg
      Point Blur_Aug122019_150010.jpg
      590.5 KB · Views: 620
    • Point Blur_Aug122019_150033.jpg
      Point Blur_Aug122019_150033.jpg
      766.1 KB · Views: 684

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Gen 5. Slide is more durable than the gen 4 guns, better RSA system than gen 1-3's, backstraps are better than the take it or leave it gen 1-3 setup.

Better triggers than 1-4, especially gen 4's. Harder to assemble incorrectly, accessory rail slot is picatinny sized. Also there's no BTF with gen 5 guns. Gen 4 and even quite a few gen 3 guns will toss them into your face

People like to talk up how durable the early gen 3 finishes were, but even though the color may be gone, the finish is still there and should protect your gun.

My 19x has over 15k through it, and about 10 malfunctions, all caused by ammo that had been in our ranges dud bucket for some unknown amount of time

View attachment 181224 View attachment 181225 View attachment 181226
    Have you carried with yours?

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I only own gen 4’s and gen 5’s. I have shot gen 3’s but I like the grip texture on the 4’s.

Never had any issues with any of my guns. They are all good shooters. Had a poor ejection issue with a G21 once but got that fixed with a new extractor.

I’m looking hard at a G45MOS but keep wanting the Gen 5 17 MOS.

Decisions......

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm a legacy guy.

I regret selling my ancient Gen 1 Model 19 in the black Tupperware box.
    It may be the most significant gun in the history of humanity.

Take it for what it's worth because I think Raquel Welch is the hottest woman in the history of the cosmos.

FWIW she's 79 years old in about 3 weeks.
    Life is good.
    Fleeting, but good.

raquel-welch-recording-artists-and-groups-photo-u13?w=650&q=50&fm=pjpg&fit=crop&crop=faces.jpg

Attachments

• raquel-welch-recording-artists-and-groups-photo-u13?w=650&q=50&fm=pjpg&fit=crop&crop=faces.jpg
      raquel-welch-recording-artists-and-groups-photo-u13?w=650&q=50&fm=pjpg&fit=crop&crop=faces.jpg
      48.8 KB · Views: 709
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom