• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midlifer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you rely on a semi auto for bear defense , leave a will. You are not fast enough. Accept that and get a big bore, short barreled revolver( think Ruger Alaskan in a caliber that’s begins with “4” and ends with magnum or Casull.

The semi is almost guaranteed to have a malfunction due to apex carnivore hair/fur fouling the action after it grabs you and starts to shake you. Short barreled super magnum will not. Place the bangy part of the gun against the bitey part of the brown bear and deliver hate until it stops biting.

Bears are fast, but the vast majority of attacks from Brown/ Grizzly are territorial attacks. A 10mm will work, I most certainly wouldn't hunt bears with it, but up close and for defense, they do work. Studies are showing that handguns are over 90% effective in stopping an attack - which means the person or companion that used the gun survived.

the problem with the big revolvers is the 2nd or 3rd shot, the recoil from the 45x+ guns is just too much to get a good 2nd shot.I've got a couple buddies that will carry a 44M rifle and even then it can take 3-4 shots on a big black.

FWIW, outside of Alaska, pepper spray is all but required. I live in Southern Montana and bears are a constant presence. There have been many a hikes where we've enjoyed fresh grizzly prints on the trails. Our closest bear encounter, thankfully, has been about 300 yards. Grizzly bears don't see you as food, they want what you're carrying or see you as a territorial threat. That won't keep them from killing you. If you're attacked by a black bear, it's because they want to eat you.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Bears are fast, but the vast majority of attacks from Brown/ Grizzly are territorial attacks. A 10mm will work, I most certainly wouldn't hunt bears with it, but up close and for defense, they do work. Studies are showing that handguns are over 90% effective in stopping an attack - which means the person or companion that used the gun survived.

the problem with the big revolvers is the 2nd or 3rd shot, the recoil from the 45x+ guns is just too much to get a good 2nd shot.I've got a couple buddies that will carry a 44M rifle and even then it can take 3-4 shots on a big black.

FWIW, outside of Alaska, pepper spray is all but required. I live in Southern Montana and bears are a constant presence. There have been many a hikes where we've enjoyed fresh grizzly prints on the trails. Our closest bear encounter, thankfully, has been about 300 yards. Grizzly bears don't see you as food, they want what you're carrying or see you as a territorial threat. That won't keep them from killing you. If you're attacked by a black bear, it's because they want to eat you.
    This would seem to indicate that sometimes, they indeed see us as food.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Top Bottom