• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gravity1015

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Going to Alaska for a few weeks in July. Would like to buy a Glock 20 in 10MM or other suitable pistol that can reliably answer the call of duty. Prepared to go into the retail store to get one if I must.

Semper Fi,

Gravity
    Hurley's Gold

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If you rely on a semi auto for bear defense , leave a will. You are not fast enough. Accept that and get a big bore, short barreled revolver( think Ruger Alaskan in a caliber that’s begins with “4” and ends with magnum or Casull.

The semi is almost guaranteed to have a malfunction due to apex carnivore hair/fur fouling the action after it grabs you and starts to shake you. Short barreled super magnum will not. Place the bangy part of the gun against the bitey part of the brown bear and deliver hate until it stops biting.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    That is fast. No thank you.
    If a Grizzly/Kodiak decides you are food, you are going to get grabbed in most cases. If you are fortunate enough to see the bear before it sees you, and you have a good bit of distance between you, a 10mm semi loaded hot might be a comparable round, but in the vast majority of bear attacks, I have read that the survivors keep saying “it came out of nowhere”
    Hence my 454 Casull Alaskan ( which will be my carry gun whenever I am off pavement for the next two weeks)

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    If a Grizzly/Kodiak decides you are food, you are going to get grabbed in most cases. If you are fortunate enough to see the bear before it sees you, and you have a good bit of distance between you, a 10mm semi loaded hot might be a comparable round, but in the vast majority of bear attacks, I have read that the survivors keep saying “it came out of nowhere”
    Hence my 454 Casull Alaskan ( which will be my carry gun whenever I am off pavement for the next two weeks)

454 Casull Alaskan is a perfect choice. I also favor a 4” Model 29 or 629. As much as I love my 4 & 5/8” Stainless Blackhawk in hot loaded 45 Colt, I think it’s best reserved for boondocking the woods in my AO. Hogs and two legged critters are my biggest threat even though we now have black bear that escaped Louisiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Mandatory pic of Alaskan.
    Yes, it is loaded with Belt Mountain Punch .454 Casull. No such thing as over penetration.
    47FEF3AB-BEB8-4609-95FA-4C6EB54B0CD2.jpeg

Attachments

• 47FEF3AB-BEB8-4609-95FA-4C6EB54B0CD2.jpeg
      47FEF3AB-BEB8-4609-95FA-4C6EB54B0CD2.jpeg
      473.7 KB · Views: 601

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I've been fishing in Alaska twice in the past few years

I personally bought a Ruger Alasakan in 44 Rem Mag and took FMJ ammo
    You can also use Buffalo Bore hard cast

While I have been there talking to locals and several guides the past 2 trips, alot of them carry big bore revolvers, the minimum is a 44 Rem Mag
    Also lots of 45 Colts and few Casuls
    I never saw personally saw anyone with a 500 S&W

There has been a trend lately towards the 10mm Glocks loaded with the right ammo.

No HP ammo. You want heavy FMJ or hard cast

It's not about expansion, its about breaking through bone and muscle to get to vitals.

Spring bears are worrisome but the summer bears usually give you space and you can avoid confrontation.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    10mm can take Cape buffalo so with the proper ammo the round is upto the task.

That said. When it absolutely positively has to work now in all weather conditions a revolver is the way to go.

If I were to choose a gun for such parameters it would be a revolver in 44mag. Loaded for bear as it were.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    If you want some interesting reading not the topic of stopping bears, then take some time and poke around the Buffalo Bore Ammo page. The inventor of Buffalo Bore, Tim Sundles, has killed several Grizzlies and guided many other grizzly hunts.
    He knows what it takes to stop a bear.

Here is a link to one of his excellent articles, but I suggest looking around the website for other great articles

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=108

Also, where you carry the sidearm is critical.
    If you carry in your backpack, you might as well leave it in your vehicle.

Some hip carry but I bought a nice well fitting leather chest rig and wore it around for several days before my trip making sure it was adjusted correctly for all day carry.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I brought a Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnum with 300 grain hard cast flat nose rounds with me, bought it just for the trip. I also brought a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington, or wait maybe it was the Remington 870 with slugs - damned if I can recall, that was about 4 years ago. My son had a 1911 clone - Remington R1 - since we only had one magnum handgun. Anyway, we did not see a bear but were there late May to early June.

The more important thing than having a firearm was that we each had a large can of bear repellent. Did a lot of research on that and it was reportedly more effective at stopping bears than trying to shoot them. Just to be safe we had both bear spray and guns.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I brought a Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnum with 300 grain hard cast flat nose rounds with me, bought it just for the trip. I also brought a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington, or wait maybe it was the Remington 870 with slugs - damned if I can recall, that was about 4 years ago. My son had a 1911 clone - Remington R1 - since we only had one magnum handgun. Anyway, we did not see a bear but were there late May to early June.

The more important thing than having a firearm was that we each had a large can of bear repellent. Did a lot of research on that and it was reportedly more effective at stopping bears than trying to shoot them. Just to be safe we had both bear spray and guns.
    Bear spray does exactly fuckall in the case of an attack.
    The above is a black bear. It left her alone but her kayak was toast.
    And the old joke ;

Hikers who visit this forest should be aware that both black bears and grizzly bears can be found here. We suggest the following precautions for your safety.

Please wear small bells on your clothing to alert wildlife of your presence so they stay away. Please have pepper spray with you at all times in case you should actually come in contact with a bear.

You can identify if there are bears in the area and what kind based on the feces you see on the ground. In black bear poop you can see traces of plants and berrier whereas grizzly bear poop contains small bells and smells of pepper.

Old_Sarge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2020
    South TX
    If you rely on a semi auto for bear defense , leave a will. You are not fast enough. Accept that and get a big bore, short barreled revolver( think Ruger Alaskan in a caliber that’s begins with “4” and ends with magnum or Casull.

The semi is almost guaranteed to have a malfunction due to apex carnivore hair/fur fouling the action after it grabs you and starts to shake you. Short barreled super magnum will not. Place the bangy part of the gun against the bitey part of the brown bear and deliver hate until it stops biting.

holy cow

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Warning: bears! Wear bells, carry pepper spray

Love this. Advising hikers, hunters, fishermen to wear bells and carry pepper sprays.
    smiley-laughing.gif

332011mu.jpg

The sign reads:

Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-f-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear shit has bells in it and smells like pepper.

Attachments

• smiley-laughing.gif
      smiley-laughing.gif
      343 bytes · Views: 246
    • 332011mu.jpg
      332011mu.jpg
      43.8 KB · Views: 249

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Bear spray does exactly fuckall in the case of an attack.
    The above is a black bear. It left her alone but her kayak was toast.
    And the old joke ;

Hikers who visit this forest should be aware that both black bears and grizzly bears can be found here. We suggest the following precautions for your safety.

Please wear small bells on your clothing to alert wildlife of your presence so they stay away. Please have pepper spray with you at all times in case you should actually come in contact with a bear.

You can identify if there are bears in the area and what kind based on the feces you see on the ground. In black bear poop you can see traces of plants and berrier whereas grizzly bear poop contains small bells and smells of pepper.

Her voice and demeanor are really irritating.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I truly believe telling people to rely on pepper spray in grizzly country is akin to telling women to rely on rape whistles and shitting yourself to stop a rape.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I truly believe telling people to rely on pepper spray in grizzly country is akin to telling women to rely on rape whistles and shitting yourself to stop a rape.
    The resident Alaskans just smile when you ask them about bear spray.
    One of my guides had a fellow guide use some once and had to get the hell out of the area fast before the bear got its wits about it and started after them

They dont like shooting bears unless its life or death.
    If you have to shoot one, expect a full investigation just like a homicide.
    You best have evidence that you have no options left

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Your opinion; but because I did not have the benefit of your wisdom on the subject when I went to Alaska with my son, I had to rely on what the experts in the field indicated (including Alaskan bear hunting guides, bear hunters, Alaskan fish & wildlife folks, biologists and so forth - I did quite the bit of research before our trip). What they said was that bear spray is the most effective in deterring bears from attacking. Does it work every time, no it does not. Does a 44 MAG or a 12 gauge slug or a 30-06 work every time - no they do not. Yet, as I said, we also carried a 44 MAG and a long gun when out and about where bears might have been encountered. We tried to cover all the bases. I also wore better running shoes than did my son and had a small caliber pistol to kneecap him just in case.

By the way, you show a video to support your opinion that bear spray is not effective but yet the bear spray DID EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO DO AND TURNED THE BEAR AWAY FROM HER. Who gives a shit what it did to the kayak. What she should have done was backed off instead of acting like a moron and remaining in the danger zone. She was lucky it was only the kayak and not her that was destroyed but had it not been for the pepper spray in the first place it may well have been her.

Top Bottom