TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I have a Glenfield model 20 Bolt Action rifle. .22lr circa 1972
    schem.jpg
    take down stud.jpg

Yes the one with a squirrel on the stock
    Need to change out the ejector. A small wire looking thing that is #11on the picture
    It's held in place by the take down stud. #48 Going by the picture it is screwed into the receiver.
    There does not seem to be any place to use a screwdriver or a wrench to remove it.
    My only recourse seems to be a pipe wrench which is going to bugger up the stud
    Don't think scratches would cause any malfunction
    Before I do this I thought I'd ask the brain trust here for other ideas.
    The problem I'm having is on removal of a chambered round. The extractor grabs the rim fine and pulls it out. But it does not toss the shell out of the gun. The ejector is supposed to flip the shell out of the extractors grip. This is not happening. The shell just stays there held to the bolt by the extractor.
    I have the new ejector. Just don't want to bugger things up.
    Any advice is appreciated.
    DK Firearms

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A couple of courses of action one could use.

First, put some good penetrating oil on the threads of the stud and let it sit for a couple of days, reapplying a couple times per day. Wrap the stud with some duct tape and use a very small pipe wrench, or some vice grip pliers and remove.

Same as above, but also apply some heat with a heat gun or blow drier. I would not use a propane torch since he could put too much heat into the receiver. Also while safely supported in a vice in a way as not to scratch the receiver, after you have applied penetrating oil, and lightly heated the stud, gently tap on it with a brass hammer to loosen while trying the turn with the pliers or wrench.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    A couple of courses of action one could use.

First, put some good penetrating oil on the threads of the stud and let it sit for a couple of days, reapplying a couple times per day. Wrap the stud with some duct tape and use a very small pipe wrench, or some vice grip pliers and remove.

Same as above, but also apply some heat with a heat gun or blow drier. I would not use a propane torch since he could put too much heat into the receiver. Also while safely supported in a vice in a way as not to scratch the receiver, after you have applied penetrating oil, and lightly heated the stud, gently tap on it with a brass hammer to loosen while trying the turn with the pliers or wrench.
    ^ Solid advice

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    If Axxe55's advice doesn't yield results, is there any reason why you can't use a hack saw to cut a groove into the end of part 48 which would enable you to twist it out with a screw driver?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Find a hex nut is big enough to just drill out the threads on the nut, and then it will have no threads, and slip over the threaded stud. Put the nut in a vice and cut off one corner. You only need a small slot to form in the nut. Put nut over stud, Squeeze tight with vice grips and unscrew.

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    A few ways that have worked in the past for similar situations...

Use a small drill chuck as a stud remover. Tighten the chuck onto the stud and spin it out. The stud may be lock tighted in place so a little heat may help.

Find a nut and bolt that will thread into the hole, tighten the nut against the top of the stud to put tension on the threads and stop the bolt from backing out and unscrew it.

Use a Dremel wheel to cut a screw slot across the top face of the stud, if you don't go overboard it shouldn't hurt anything.

Grab the stud with vise grips to remove/replace it then file the burrs off and retouch it with cold blue

Joat

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I have this in Marlin brand. Watch this video before doing this as bending the wire a bit may be all you need

Thanks, this was the exact problem I was having. Since we had the new part in hand my boy reasoned that we should install it. Used a hybrid of the ideas in this thread to ease off the stud. A few minor scratches is all. Thanks to all for your ideas. Made life better

Top Bottom