Guns International

Glasses to mitigate possible laser sights/pointer threat?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I'm kinda interested in the laser you mention, more than the goggles. Fire ants are my arch nemesis now. If I can kill em' with a laser, I'm interested. As much fun as knocking over their mounds are, then spraying the shit out of them with bug killer, the satisfaction of zapping them and/or setting them on fire kinda gives me a revenge boner. Might be a fun way to kill half an hour. Hi-tech DIY pest control without chemicals.
    Laser was a gift. Been a while since I charged it up. You can use it for 3-5 seconds continuously then you have to let it rest.
    Target Sports

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    We were issued protective glasses after the 2020 riots. They just buy you a little time and they can still cause damage. Best bet is to get to cover if possible.

Get yourself a bump helmet as well if you really want to plan for civil unrest.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The real utility of these things is hard to deny. As an emergency signaling device especially but also handy at getting a fire going if you've lost other means.

And yes the goggles are made to protect from incidental exposure. If you are being targeted If you manage to shield your eyes after a moment you should be fine but probably not enough time to line up a shot at the source.
    Now if they start using IR lasers and aming them with camera or cheap NV that will be hard to defend against. You won't see the flare your corneas will just start cooking

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The real utility of these things is hard to deny. As an emergency signaling device especially but also handy at getting a fire going if you've lost other means.

And yes the goggles are made to protect from incidental exposure. If you are being targeted If you manage to shield your eyes after a moment you should be fine but probably not enough time to line up a shot at the source.
    Now if they start using IR lasers and aming them with camera or cheap NV that will be hard to defend against. You won't see the flare your corneas will just start cooking

I'm not endorsing such behavior, but if a patriot or group of patriots were to counter-attack the shitbags using lasers to blind police or patriotic counter protesters or something using IR lasers in the method you described I wouldn't be at all heart broken.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    We were issued protective glasses after the 2020 riots. They just buy you a little time and they can still cause damage. Best bet is to get to cover if possible.

This ine should offer decent blunt resistance as well as 80% optical defense

Direct hits with powerful laser to the lower face can reflect enough energy I to the eyes to cause permanent damage

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211220-104428_Firefox.jpg
      Screenshot_20211220-104428_Firefox.jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 80

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX

Bump helmet as opposed to a kevlar helmet?

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Bump helmet as opposed to a kevlar helmet?
    If you want to go all out, by all means get a ballistic helmet. It will be more weight and a lot more expensive. I was more worried about getting hit with a a rock or a bottle than a bullet. Eventually, I was hit with a wine bottle someone decided to throw from a window 3 stories above me. I guess they liked Saint Floyd more than the police below trying to prevent property damage. Even with a ballistic helmet on, I seriously got my bell rung.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Less expensive polycarbonate dyed glasses are like sun glasses, protect you but you can't see anything at nite. Issued some when I was working with lasers, were complete wrap around type for reflected light which is just as dangerous.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I've always felt that rioters using high-power lasers to blind cops should be immediately shot by the overwatch guys. They are actively trying to cause permanent, catastrophic injury. If that doesn't justify the use of deadly force, I don't know what does.
    It's no different than pointing a gun at someone, especially in a violent confrontation where one side has stated their intent to cause harm

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Yes, the 1.09 laser designators were dangerous. Also the UV blue in your DVD writer as well. My first experience was with one of 2 TI prototype laser diodes, had to get special permission to get Varo NV ocular to test it. Then I got work MW pulsed for Challenger program.
    Green pointers are in the highest sensitivity for your eye so they can cause immediate but temp blindness. At least the iris can compensate some.
    They can be used as a weapon and those that do so should be held accountable.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    I recently read that as green lasers stay on for more than a few seconds they drift toward the IR spectrum and are then more dangerous.
    I do have one of those fat green rechargeable green lasers they sell at gun shows. Supposed to pop a balloon at a few feet away. I'm a bit leery of it. I did buy some cheap laser glasses meant for hobbyists, but I don't know what spectrum it shields - probably blue.
    I would love to get some GOOD laser glasses. I would be surprised if cheap powerful lasers do not become common weapons for thugs. Since they pose a real threat of grievous bodily injury, use of deadly force against them is likely defensible.
    IANAL

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I recently read that as green lasers stay on for more than a few seconds they drift toward the IR spectrum and are then more dangerous.
    I do have one of those fat green rechargeable green lasers they sell at gun shows. Supposed to pop a balloon at a few feet away. I'm a bit leery of it. I did buy some cheap laser glasses meant for hobbyists, but I don't know what spectrum it shields - probably blue.
    I would love to get some GOOD laser glasses. I would be surprised if cheap powerful lasers do not become common weapons for thugs. Since they pose a real threat of grievous bodily injury, use of deadly force against them is likely defensible.
    IANAL
    Green lasers ARE IR lasers that use some optical magic called frequency doubling where the 1064nm IR laser goes through a KDP crystal which doubles the freq, halving the wave length to 532nm which is "green"

The KDP stops working and passes straight IR at low (household freezer cold) temps. Which would simply look like the laser is "off" when it is infact pumping lots of photons and leaving permanent spots in your eye.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    That's pretty scary stuff. How can I use it safely?
    I primarily use it as an astronomy pointer

I also have a gun light that is essentially a green laser with a wider spread. Same issues there i guess?

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Blasting it out into space is one of the most reasonable things to do with it that i can think of. I do recommend the app flight aware though, to make sure there aren't any pilots sneaking up on you.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    There is a company called wicked lasers, out of China that produced some truly nice lasers. They were shaped like a light saber, and had up to a 3 watt continuous beam that was purple in color. They came with laser safe glasses, and three interlocks to turn them on, one being a removable “key”.

They had accessories like diffraction gratings that produced various effects like lines, circles, shapes. An interesting add on was a crystal you screwed on the end that would change the wavelength to white light like a flashlight. Also a light saber wand attached and probably made an incredible replica of the Star Wars move models.

They were incredibly hard to get. I know they are illegal now, but they used to slip a few through customs.

Now the have a flashlight that will light paper on fire, fry an egg, melt a Solo cup….

Also something called a laser cube that is computer controlled to draw pictures and other effects.

They had laser safety glasses for sale too.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    In my experience wicked lasers has inaccurate power levels listed, out of spec diodes, and poor quality safety equipment. Not to mention high prices. The stuff they sell usually works atleast. Ofcourse it has been many years since I dealt with WL

Top Bottom