Venture Surplus ad

Glasses to mitigate possible laser sights/pointer threat?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    One of the things that came out of the riots last year, especially the during the nightly siege on the Federal building in Portland, was the increased threat of lasers to vision. Laser pointers are inexpensive and contributed to injuries of LEOs during the riots last year. I am looking at adding a pair or two of glasses to my kit as a result.

Do any of you carry or just pack glasses to protect against the threat of lasers? If so, what do you have?
    ARJ Defense ad

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Different lenses work for different lasers...didn't know that till I bought the fiber laser.....

I don't know which ones would work for laser pointers....

Good idea.........

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    One thing I have found are several makers claiming to glasses to mitigate laser flashing in the red, green, and blue wavelengths while still maintaining color differentiation for pilots wearing them. Prices starting at $200 though...

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    One thing I have found are several makers claiming to glasses to mitigate laser flashing in the red, green, and blue wavelengths while still maintaining color differentiation for pilots wearing them. Prices starting at $200 though...
    Just shop on Amazon ( or wherever ) for laser safety glasses in PPE.
    The ones I use on my “ fire ant Death Star” laser were about 10 bucks.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Be careful with cheap lasers giggles.

I gave some experience dealing g qith lasers 8n excess of 3 watts or 3000 mW (the dime store pointers are less than 5 mW)

Lasers are made of light, but it is coherent, and only emit a single wavelength of light.

Sunglasses block a bunch of wavelengths and generally dims everything. Laser safety goggles specialize in one or two wavelengths protecting your eyes from incidental exposure to the laser in use at the time.

Even with a set of high quality laser goggles a prolong direct beam hit to the will not protect you from permanent irreversible damage.

Which is pretty good, since if you project the dot from say a 1 watt blue laser on a white wall and look at it at a distance of 25 feet for a few seconds without them will cause the simiair damage.

If you are firing a laser of about 2.5 watts in a rain storm and a drop of rain falls into the beam and you get a momentary reflection directly into your unprotected eyeball for a fraction of second, you will be lucky to avoid permanent irreversible blindness

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    NV optics to track laser back to point of origin, followed by a wall of 3200fps lead.
    I've always felt that rioters using high-power lasers to blind cops should be immediately shot by the overwatch guys. They are actively trying to cause permanent, catastrophic injury. If that doesn't justify the use of deadly force, I don't know what does.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Just shop on Amazon ( or wherever ) for laser safety glasses in PPE.
    The ones I use on my “ fire ant Death Star” laser were about 10 bucks.

I'm kinda interested in the laser you mention, more than the goggles. Fire ants are my arch nemesis now. If I can kill em' with a laser, I'm interested. As much fun as knocking over their mounds are, then spraying the shit out of them with bug killer, the satisfaction of zapping them and/or setting them on fire kinda gives me a revenge boner. Might be a fun way to kill half an hour. Hi-tech DIY pest control without chemicals.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Fire ants are my arch nemesis now. If I can kill em' with a laser, I'm interested.
    I suggest you binge-watch some YouTube videos of people who pour molten metal into their mounds. It kills the mound and creates art at the same time. They can be really soul-satisfying to watch. :)

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I've always felt that rioters using high-power lasers to blind cops should be immediately shot by the overwatch guys. They are actively trying to cause permanent, catastrophic injury. If that doesn't justify the use of deadly force, I don't know what does.
    Absolutely

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I'm kinda interested in the laser you mention, more than the goggles. Fire ants are my arch nemesis now. If I can kill em' with a laser, I'm interested. As much fun as knocking over their mounds are, then spraying the shit out of them with bug killer, the satisfaction of zapping them and/or setting them on fire kinda gives me a revenge boner. Might be a fun way to kill half an hour. Hi-tech DIY pest control without chemicals.
    If it is how enough to kill an ant it is powerful enough to blind your ass with a reflection off a grain of sand. Not to mention prolong spot viewing.

I forgot to mention

"Eagle Pair" makes the laser goggles I use.

ETA btw don't take this as discouragement
    Laser building and blasting shit with them is super duper rewarding and fun.

Obey all gun safety rules in addition to NEVER OPERATE WITHOUTH PROPER EYE PRO!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    If it is how enough to kill an ant it is powerful enough to blind your ass with a reflection off a grain of sand. Not to mention prolong spot viewing.

I forgot to mention

"Eagle Pair" makes the laser goggles I use.

ETA btw don't take this as discouragement
    Laser building and blasting shit with them is super duper rewarding and fun.

Obey all gun safety rules in addition to NEVER OPERATE WITHOUTH PROPER EYE PRO!

All the fun toys might cause permanent blindness, disfigurement, or death. Probably wouldn't be as fun if they were "safe & sane" toys. Proper safety precautions are a must. Just like not loading 200lbs of tannerite into a 1984 Ford F250 and touching it off from only 50 yards or so away, or packing your dead John Deere riding mower with enough tannerite to launch it into low Earth orbit and blasting it from a couple car lengths... :laughing:

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    All the fun toys might cause permanent blindness, disfigurement, or death. Probably wouldn't be as fun if they were "safe & sane" toys. Proper safety precautions are a must. Just like not loading 200lbs of tannerite into a 1984 Ford F250 and touching it off from only 50 yards or so away, or packing your dead John Deere riding mower with enough tannerite to launch it into low Earth orbit and blasting it from a couple car lengths... :laughing:
    Blow shit up, for sure. But do it responsibly! Hehe

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom