Not open for further replies.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    ...I'm still scarred by Sotomayor's blatant lies during her confirmation hearing...

I paid no attention to her hearings. Still, what could have an Obama nominee said that would have given you any hope? "I'm a wise latina woman?"
    Venture Surplus ad

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Oh yeah, and here's one for those of you trying to do the political calculus at home:

McSally (R, from AZ), is losing in the polls to Mark Kelly, total gun control nut democrat.
    AZ law allows him to be sworn in immediately, so no waiting until January for that to take effect!
    How bad does it look for her? I keep getting texts asking for money for her. I might donate in light of this new situation & info.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    How bad does it look for her? I keep getting texts asking for money for her. I might donate in light of this new situation & info.

Depends. I know Martha from my Air Force days and she was always about herself first. She played the first female card to make her advantage.

Professionally, she played her role in a HQ position against my expertise in air defense to create a gap in capabilities that resulted in Scuds impacting in Kuwait during OIF.

That argument was parlayed into whether KU would buy F/A-18s or Patriots. The Kuwaiti gov bought Boeing Hornets. She later went to work for Boeing.

Last edited:

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx

Well, keep in mind it's all polling results, and we know how unreliable those can be, but the last poll I saw said Kelly 66% and McSally 33%, so she was getting crushed pretty bad.

Assuming she loses, the Senate then becomes 52-46 with 2 independents, and without Murkowski, Collins and Mittens we are balancing on the razor's edge, it would be 49-49 against with 2 independents. Given the abortion thing, the indies are probably not going to vote our way, so call it 49-51 against.

However, if we're trying to confirm Amy Barrett, remember she got 3 democrat votes during her confirmation hearing. However, one of those D votes is no longer in the Senate. So, if we get 2 D votes, we're back to 51-50.

But, that assumes we lose no other R votes except for the 3 mentioned above. We can tolerate 1 loss, to have a tie, and Pence wins it for us, but with the election this close, Senate races this close, I think we need more of a margin. Maybe much, much more of a margin. I'm sure Mitch has a much better sense than do I, so we'll see!

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Depends. I know Martha from my Air Force days and she was always about herself first. She played the first female card to make her advantage.

Professionally, she played her role in a HQ position against my expertise in air defense to create a gap in capabilities that resulted in Scuds impacting in Kuwait during OIF.

That argument was parlayed into whether KU would buy F/A-18s or Patriots. The Kuwaiti gov bought Boeing Hornets. She later went to work for Boeing.
    I figured she liked to play the woman card from what little I know. My question is will she fall in line & confirm a nominee? Will she vote correctly on key votes like against Obamacare?

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Well, keep in mind it's all polling results, and we know how unreliable those can be, but the last poll I saw said Kelly 66% and McSally 33%, so she was getting crushed pretty bad.

Assuming she loses, the Senate then becomes 52-46 with 2 independents, and without Murkowski, Collins and Mittens we are balancing on the razor's edge, it would be 49-49 against with 2 independents. Given the abortion thing, the indies are probably not going to vote our way, so call it 49-51 against.

However, if we're trying to confirm Amy Barrett, remember she got 3 democrat votes during her confirmation hearing. However, one of those D votes is no longer in the Senate. So, if we get 2 D votes, we're back to 51-50.

But, that assumes we lose no other R votes except for the 3 mentioned above. We can tolerate 1 loss, to have a tie, and Pence wins it for us, but with the election this close, Senate races this close, I think we need more of a margin. Maybe much, much more of a margin. I'm sure Mitch has a much better sense than do I, so we'll see!
    I'll look at it. I'm not throwing money as someone that far down. I am curious why the people don't like her. Are there that few Rs in Arizona or is she just that bad?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

I kicked in some funds for her campaign. She is being badly outspent and not doing well in the polls.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

You are assuming that she would still get Dem votes in a SCOTUS nomination. I don't think that will happen, at all.

I believe the Dems vote as a bloc.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Federal Appeals Court Judge Barbara Lagoa of Florida
    1. only last year was appointed by Trump to her current position on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
    2. months before that appointment, Lagoa was tapped by a key Trump ally, Gov. Ron DeSantis, to sit on the Florida Supreme Court
    3. she’s Cuban American, and that’s an important voting bloc in Florida, and Trump doesn’t win the White House without Florida.
    4. a member of the Federalist Society, a group of conservatives and libertarians that push for a strict reading of the U.S. Constitution that adheres to the original text of the document
    5. parents fled Cuba over five decades ago when Fidel Castro’s Communist dictatorship took over
    6. her 11th Circuit nomination was confirmed by a Senate vote of 80-15 on Nov. 20, Barrett passed in 2017 with a tighter 55-43 margin
    Appears to believe in the Constitution as written, a big plus.
    Short on rulings, a negative.
    Can't find any direct references to her and the 2A.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    He needs Florida bad. And the Latin vote. Lagoa, ftw. Hope she isn’t a disappointment. When re-elected he’s likely to get 2 more appointments.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Ha! This just showed up.
    9645bd47f39327d82161054208e126f1.jpg

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    I'll look at it. I'm not throwing money as someone that far down. I am curious why the people don't like her. Are there that few Rs in Arizona or is she just that bad?

Mostly it's the Californication of Phoenix. Plus, Mark Kelly has big name recognition.

You are assuming that she would still get Dem votes in a SCOTUS nomination. I don't think that will happen, at all.

I believe the Dems vote as a bloc.

Belief is cool, but I know you remember how contentious it was to confirm Kavanaugh, right? Well, even Kavanaugh got a democrat vote.

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    Mostly it's the Californication of Phoenix. Plus, Mark Kelly has big name recognition.

Belief is cool, but I know you remember how contentious it was to confirm Kavanaugh, right? Well, even Kavanaugh got a democrat vote.
    I'm betting that Manchin won't vote for a Trump nominee this time around.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Ooooo. ONE Dem. Wow.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I agree. Pulling even just one Democrat to our side is a victory. You take any victories you can get in this political environment. These are strange times.
    Well it's not like we're not giving them nothing. We're givin' them Mittens(which is kinna like giving someone a week old, half-eaten, turkey sam'bitch in return). While it isn't an equal trade I don't think it's possible to only get 1/2 Dimmer'krat vote - which may still exceed Mittens value on the open market!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom