• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I know I can gift a gun to a friend or relative within the state lines provided the new owner can lawfully own a gun.

But I have a daughter who has chosen to live in Shoreline, a suburb of Seattle, WA.
    Gets it from her bat-shit crazy mother ... I digress ...

I'm beginning to think about my final wishes and there are several pistols, rifles and shotguns that are heirlooms I got from my Dad and he got from his Dad.

How would I go about getting those family heirlooms into her possession?
    Military Camp

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    one other thing to consider

Does she want them ? if she is just going to pawn/dump them you might want to reconsider what to do with them.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Good point and we have talked and she does want them because they a family heirlooms.

None of them are worth much ... just sentimental value

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Leave it to her in your will.

There are extenuating circumstances within my immediate family.
    I want to make sure certain items get into the hands of my choosing without drama.

I was never able to mourn my Dad's passing because of all the drama.
    I finally told several "family members" to FO and my Mom's favorite niece took all of her expensive jewelry that was promised to my youngest daughter. Couldn't prove it, she denied it ... nothing could be done.

That kind of sums up the reason I'm thinking about it now.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Still, unless you are planning on giving it to her before you pass, if there is no will, it's a hassle.
    I'm going through this now after my brother passed, and I'm the sole survivor of the family.
    I've still got hoops to jump through.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Gifting across state lines when it's not a bequest will require you to go through an FFL. I wouldn't be surprised if Washington has extra requirements around her receiving the firearms, even through a bequest. CA had all sorts of hoops I had to jump through when I inherited my grandfather's service pistol and Washington is trying to be CA as fast as they can manage.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Better to do things like this in person while still alive. After you are gone there is no way you will know if things got done the way you wanted. My Aunt did this before she died.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I wouldn't be surprised if Washington has extra requirements around her receiving the firearms, even through a bequest.
    Yes, I can tell you that they do. They passed, by initiative, one of the stupidest laws ever. Known then as I-594, it basically required an FFL for ALL transfers, even within families. I remain pissed at the NRA for not fighting this abomination harder. They put a stupid lame bumper sticker in our Rifleman magazine. The anti-gunners found a life NRA member to preach how much we needed the damn thing. We got slick mailers in our box almost every day. They tried to make them look like they came from different sources, but they all had "Bill Gates Sr" on them. They lied out their ass that you could "easily" buy a gun online and have it just ship to you.
    Anyway, I don't know for sure that the final text said this, but they intended for even transfers within family to need the NICS check.

Top Bottom