• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ethan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Fort Worth (Currently in Iraq)
    right now i'm deployed, my intentions are to begin my chl process ASAP when we get back, like, the first weekend we have off take the class, my question is, to cut down on turnaround time, is there anything that i can do from over here, aka, via the internet to begin the process so i dont have to wait as long.

Since i dont have to do the range portion (military waiver), basically all i have to do is the paperwork, is there anyway to start that from over here?
    Guns International

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    There's no advantage to preregistering with the state. We provide the paperwork and you'll complete most, if not all of it, during class. It actually hurts you in that you have 2 years to submit your application if you use the instructor-provided packet. The application you'll get when you preregister and prepay will limit this period to 1 year.

About the only thing that will speed your application process is backup documentation. You'll need a copy of your military ID. If you were born outside the US, you'll need a copy of your birth certificate. If you are not a US citizen, you'll need a copy of your greencard, passport and birth certificate (if available). If you have ANY arrests in your history, you'll need court certified copies of the disposition of your case. If you had qualifying psychiatric treatment or treatment for chemical dependency in the past 5 years, you'll need letters from your physician or institution stating your diagnosis/prognosis.

ethan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    appreciate the hookup willy

double action, thanks for the heads up, i figure i might as well do it now (also, very bored over here so i'm always looking for things to do) i've only got another 5 months out here so i say why not, thanks again though

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Purely anecdotal, but I've observed that if you register online, and prepay and have your packet in hand when you take the course, the DPS turn around is a few weeks faster.

Seems like one of the biggest problems people have is with finger prints. They need to be done by someone that knows what they are doing. Most of the classes you can take will do finger prints for you, but if you happen to sign up for one that does not, then look into the electronic method. That is the most fool proof option. Or go to the PD and have the guy that does that all day long do it for you. I took my class over at The Shooters Club on 28th Street in FW. Tim Scally who teaches the course is a long time LEO and military combat trainer. He takes his time with finger prints, and will redo if they look questionable. My wife as thin fingers, and he spent a good 5-10 minutes getting them right, and they passed right through the DPS.

Good luck, and stay safe over there.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    According to DPS at my last instructor renewal, it makes no difference other than reducing the chance of input errors.

We have a very low rate of return on prints. Electronic prints get rejected as well, just not as frequently. FBI is tougher on prints than DPS.

ethan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Purely anecdotal, but I've observed that if you register online, and prepay and have your packet in hand when you take the course, the DPS turn around is a few weeks faster.

Seems like one of the biggest problems people have is with finger prints. They need to be done by someone that knows what they are doing. Most of the classes you can take will do finger prints for you, but if you happen to sign up for one that does not, then look into the electronic method. That is the most fool proof option. Or go to the PD and have the guy that does that all day long do it for you. I took my class over at The Shooters Club on 28th Street in FW. Tim Scally who teaches the course is a long time LEO and military combat trainer. He takes his time with finger prints, and will redo if they look questionable. My wife as thin fingers, and he spent a good 5-10 minutes getting them right, and they passed right through the DPS.

Good luck, and stay safe over there.

appreciate the help again, and for the heads up on the Shooters Club, never got a chance to get over there, most of my days were spent either out in BFE or at Alpine over in Forest Hill, but i'll definetely look up Shooters Club

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    According to DPS at my last instructor renewal, it makes no difference other than reducing the chance of input errors.

We have a very low rate of return on prints. Electronic prints get rejected as well, just not as frequently. FBI is tougher on prints than DPS.

Yeah, I said it was anecdotal. Several years ago, when my wife and I took the course we registered and prepaid on line. We were the only ones in that class that did. To my knowledge, from talking to some of the other classmates later on, we had our plastic, while others were still wating. Was it because we registered online? maybe not, I was figuring that if they already had you money, that was one less issue that needed to be dealt with at processing time.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I noticed you were plannning on using the Military exemption for the qualification, if I were you I would just go ahead and shoot. Unless you have qualified with a handgun during your annual qualification and can provide proof that you did so, you have to hoot the qualification for the CHL, and it really is not that hard....

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I applied/prepaid online, and the only benefit I see to doing so is that you get your PIN at the same time as you get your packet (which only means you can start driving yourself crazy sooner by checking your status every couple of hours). It took two weeks for the packet to get to me, and it arrived the day after my CHL class. There is no other identifiable benefit to be realized.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Good replies above.

Ethan, there's really nothing you can do at this point except start looking for a place to take the class. Google classes in your home area and start estimating which one will be the dates you can make. As many of us here know, with military, deployments, homecomings, deadlines and in general "dates" aren't set in stone. You could send emails or make contact with the CHL instructors to introduce yourself. But really, that does nothing for the actual processing, just gives you busy work if you really want to be doing something.

As for the shooting portion, I'd say just take the shooting test. If you were renewing a CHL then yes, by all means grab your quals and send them in. But for initial CHL, there's no reason to. Classes are an all day event and you will be there all day. Might as well get in some shooting to break up the monotony of class. You won't be going home so instead of being bored, might as well shoot.

Be safe out there

Top Bottom