• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skiner381

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2014
    Lubbock
    Hi fellow gunnies,

I am new to the forum and wanting to know where to start to begin shooting competitivly any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

I am 22 years old and I living in Lubbock Tx. Currently I am more interested in rifle competition than anything else but once I get started I will probably do it all.

Thank you for the information in advance.
    Lynx Defense

Skiner381

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2014
    Lubbock
    I am honesty unsure what types there are I'm more into the hunting style if that helps any?

Sorry ahead of time for my lack of knowledge.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    No need to apologize. We all start somewhere.

Shooting was, at one time (and may still be), the second most popular sport in the U.S. for participation, coming in right after all forms of running. However, "shooting", as a whole, is an entirely fractured sport. Unlike places where there are no gun rights and the only competitive shooting possible are a couple of regionally traditional games plus stuff that leads to the Olympics, in the U.S. there's a new sport popping up every week. None of them ever hit a level of participation that would get them on The Wide World of Sports (Yes, I'm that old.:)) but there's something for everybody.

So you're interested in rifles. You need a rifle and a place to shoot. Let's start with those.

What sort of rifle(s) do you own?

Where do you currently shoot and does that location host any competitive shooting?

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    A couple of links to check out.

1. These guys don't seem to offer any competitive shooting and the range looks pretty basic. Still, it looks like it could be a good place to practice. Lubbockshootingcomplex.com - Firing Range, Clay Shooting, Shooting Range
    2. Second, these guys are into competition, so it might be worth your while to do some reading on their forum. LPSA
    I have no personal experience with either. I point them out merely to say this: It's a lot easier to be successful and satisfied with competitive shooting as a hobby if there's a local match to attend. Local shooters who go to that match, with whom you can go practice between matches and learn from, are also a big plus.

There's a flip side to that, of course. If the local shooters are dicks, it's always possible to be really turned off on shooting. However, that's a very rare phenomenon; if you run into it, try another tack. You'll eventually find something you like and like-minded people to enjoy it with.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    One more post before I wait for a reply.

You can practice locally but how far are you willing to drive to compete? You're 5 hours away from Whittington, less than 3 hours away from a good 1000-yard steel plate match, and 5 hours away from a couple of other 1000-yard ranges. I am NOT a rifleman those are just the ones I know of; I'd be surprised if there weren't more. My point is that if you're willing to practice locally then travel to compete, you open yourself up to many more options.

OK, I'll go be quiet now. :)

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I did pistol "Combat Shooting" years ago and recently ended nearly 8 years of competitive shooting (for physical reasons). I'll be happy to guide you!

Pistol shooters are wired tightly and I'll term them "Type A". Rifle shooters are much more mellow and relaxed. If I could suggest....the rifle guys are much more fun to shoot with. They'll loan you gear and help you get started.

As the guys suggested, you must start by deciding what type of shooting you want: bench rifle, NRA position, small bore target or small bore silhouette.

I chose NRA position shooting at 200 yards. We shot standing (offhand) slow fire 10 rounds, sitting rapid fire 10 rounds, rapid fire prone 10 rounds and slow fire prone 20 rounds. It was great fun and I shot 4-5 matches per month for years! The guys were great and I miss them terribly now that I had to quit competing.

I got my friend Bonnie into it, as well. Bonnie had back surgery and couldn't get up & down well so the guys let her shoot from a small table that I made for her. Her first matches were shot with a .22LR at 200 yards! Later, we got her a Marlin 917V and the guys had to put her in a class by herself (The Butterfly class) to keep things fair. No one could beat her with that .17 caliber at 200 yards!

At some point, I started shooting 600 yard competition. You could choose from 3 classes. 600 yard prone from the elbows with a standard iron sight service rifle , 600 prone with a modified match rifle (iron sights), or ""F" class fired from a bench or other rest & optical sights. It was great fun and I even won some prize money at 600. I shot a few F class matches but mostly shot service rifle class.

Shooters fire in classes so the top dogs won't always win. I'll try to post the classes after I post this.

I understand that coming to Beaumont is not practical for you, but I'll post the Golden Triangle match schedule so you can see what's available. The best plan is to show up at a match and observe first. Then it's not so intimidating.

http://www.gtgctx.org/calendars/2015 GTGC Schedule.pdf

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Here are the NRA classes. Your score divided by the total points possible = the percentage.

All shooters fire at the same time but when the results are tallied, they are broken into groups as this chart shows. Within your "Marksman" group, you may be top Marksman. This way, High Master shooters do not smash all shooters with lower scores. They compete only with similarly skilled shooters.

If you can make a bullet come out of the barrel, you're a Marksman but that class is very competitive and it's a challenge to climb out of Marksman class.

Bonnie never dropped below High Master class with the .17 caliber.

One bad side of this scoring, as top Marksman last month, one more point earned on this month's match, may place you into the Sharpshooter class and you'll be bottom shooter in that match. That sucks!

NRA MARKSMANSHIP AWARDS

MARKSMAN = < 84%
    SHARPSHOOTER = 84% to 88.99%
    EXPERT= 89% to 93.99%
    MASTER = 94% to 96.99%
    HIGH MASTER = 97%+

As I progressed, my scores went from Marksman to Sharpshooter to Expert to Master. I usually hovered around Expert to Master with the AR-15 service rifle with NRA positions.

Towards the end of my match shooting, I shot from prone in NRA 200 yard matches with the .17 Marlin 917V (with scope) and never dropped out of High Master. Those rifles are deadly at 200 yards!

I shot a 499/500 and a perfect 500/500 with the little .17 Marlin! Bonnie shot a 499//500 with her rifle. Not bad for $200 rifles!

So....there's a whole match shooting career in a nutshell! You pick how you want to shoot and are classified with shooters of similar skill level.

Flash

Last edited:

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Pistol shooters are wired tightly and I'll term them "Type A". Rifle shooters are much more mellow and relaxed. If I could suggest....the rifle guys are much more fun to shoot with. They'll loan you gear and help you get started.
    I'm not wired tightly YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!! ;)

Nature decided that I would be doing pistol competition instead of anything requiring decent eyesight...

Skiner381

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2014
    Lubbock
    Sorry I have been MIA for a few days... Thank you every one for the advice and information... If I look over your question and do not address it I apologize... It is not intentional but I will answer what I can.

Currently I own a browning abolt 30-06 with a Nikon prostaff with a 4-12x40 BDC scope. I shoot out at the shooting complex here in Lubbock. As far as traveling I would like to stay close to home for the time being but once I get familiar with the territory I would be willing to travel the 5 of 6 hours for good competition. I am looking at investing in a 223 after I get some home improvent crap done and have the extra cash. I would like to stick to the 600 yard and under ranges to get started with and I am up for any style that my rifle would qualify for.

Thanks again for the help. Keep it coming!

Skiner381

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2014
    Lubbock
    Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to the thread... my phone wont let me post for some reason. Anyway to answer a few questions and keep this thread rolling. I currently shoot a Browning A-bolt 30-06 with a Nikon 4-12x40 Prostaff BDC. I would like to stay in the 200 to 600 yard range competition for now. As for travel I would like to get familiar with the genre before I travel very far from home. Thank you for all the advice and please keep it coming.

Thank you for all the great advice.

Top Bottom