Join TexasGunTalk

Get Ready to Pay Sales Tax

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by subseashooter, Jun 21, 2018.

1. craigntx

craigntx Daca is caca

Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    sites with trader ratings like arfcom and ak files is where I do most of my
    { non ammo)buying

2. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Very important to me as well, but not those 2 sites.

3. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    SCOTUS has a say when someone files a lawsuit in Federal Court, and the decision is appealed to SCOTUS.

What is unusual, is SCOTUS overturned their own 1992 ruling, saying sales need not be collected.

diesel1959 likes this.
  4. Lunyfringe

Lunyfringe Well-Known

Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    What I really don't like is the scope creep based on technology.

This is a slippery slope with regards to the left's argument that the 2nd amendment was written to appky to muskets.

Then what's next, that free speech was only intended for pen and paper, so does not apply to the internet?

5. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    That depends on who your buying from. Forums, like this one, can give you ratings on people you buy from, plus getting to know others that do sell can ease your mind about buying.

6. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    That’s the main thing I’m finding very peculiar with this decision. As several news articles have pointed out, the current SCOTUS decision reverses fifty years worth of legal precedents concerning mail order-type businesses. While not completely unheard of, typically that length of legal precedent goes a long way (pardon the pun) of establishing pretty firm case law.

Longer term, it will be interesting to see how many states go after (legally speaking) internet retailers and down to what monetary level, in order to recoup sales taxes. Maybe ALL the retailers will comply and it won’t be an issue.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  7. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's impossible. There are lots of small businesses where dad makes something in the garage, daughter runs the web site from the kitchen table, and mom does the packing and drops off sales at the UPS storefront once or twice a week.

The overhead burden on compliance in so many jurisdictions will put all those little guys out of business unless they're willing to throw away their business model and just become a storefront on some aggregators web site.

I'm looking forward to a mainstreamed version of Silk Road. It's going to pop up somewhere but I have no idea where.

There is definitely a business opportunity there...

Southpaw likes this.
  8. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    You must have missed my post #122.

9. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Sorry, didn't notice another page until after I posted. Wasn't trying to usurp your post.

10. Southpaw

Southpaw SUPER OWNER TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Texas
    easy rider's new avatar:
    conanintro.jpg :laughing:

easy rider likes this.