Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I order off Amazon mostly. I also buy from Lowe's. One item that shows the difference in price. A simple 6 cup watering can. At Lowe's it's -$5 bucks with tax. The exact same thing on Amazon is +$7, free shipping, prime fee and no tax.

Lowe's gives me a 10% discount. So in a way, the discount covers the 8.25% tax.

I've compared several items between the two. One was a garbage disposal. Amazon had it cheaper on the retail price by $10 bucks under Lowe's. Taking into account the fuel, fuel tax, car insurance, wear on the tires and time to go to Lowe's. It raises the price. Unless I order it from Lowe's and have it shipped. Then both Amazon and Lowe's are neck and neck.

I don't agree with online tax. I see this as capitalistic competition. It's the consumer that dictates the price. Throwing more taxation at the issue is just another way for Uncle Sam to bend you over.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Although I have saved money on out of state purchases due to no taxes, it will make me use more in state stores. Although I will say that I have bought from places like Grabagun and Primary Arms and paid a little higher due to taxes, mainly because I like their service.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    it's the retailers that need to get ready... unless you want to send in "use tax" to the state. (some states are pushing this to be paid along with state income tax if it's not collected by retailers)... lots of hand-wringing and chicken little "sky is falling" in the comments of the article... some of it completely overblown & misunderstood. There will be lots of mistakes on tax collected (more so in the beginning) given all the various rules in different jurisdictions.

For consumer, there is no "getting ready"... unless you want to bend over and/or apply lube

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I think I just may retire. I repair customers ham radios and return ship repaired radios to all 50 states. I currently have to collect sales tax on return addresses in Texas, probably 5% of sales, and file tax reports. If I have to have a sales tax account and file in all 50 states and remit to all 50 states, Sorry Charlie, it just ain't worth it. It will be a paperwork nightmare for a 1 person business. If they have an exemption for businesses with a gross under $XXXXX dollars then I might keep going for a bit BUT that would also exempt me from Texas sales tax. ?????

I understand the reasoning but what a can of worms they opened.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Sucks.
    Many items I order are not available locally.
    The blackpowder gear has to be. No one even carries the stuff.
    Sad panda is sad.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    I think I just may retire. I repair customers ham radios and return ship repaired radios to all 50 states. I currently have to collect sales tax on return addresses in Texas, probably 5% of sales, and file tax reports. If I have to have a sales tax account and file in all 50 states and remit to all 50 states, Sorry Charlie, it just ain't worth it. It will be a paperwork nightmare for a 1 person business. If they have an exemption for businesses with a gross under $XXXXX dollars then I might keep going for a bit BUT that would also exempt me from Texas sales tax. ?????

I understand the reasoning but what a can of worms they opened.
    Unfortunately, there is no universal application of a minimum... some jurisdictions would have that, others want you to spend 10x as much on software, paper, postage, etc to send them $1.57 owed to them.

it is an opportunity for someone to have a service/software to manage the nightmare, and it would require full time job(s) just to keep it up to date as jurisdictions change their tax rules/rates. But it's all more cost that seems designed to push the small business owner to be less competitive.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Supreme Court rules states can collect sales tax for online purchases nationwide

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ales-tax-for-online-purchases-nationwide.html

I'm interested to hear everyone's views on this.

Its gonna hurt me just like its gonna hurt everyone, but as a states rights supporter, I'm obliged to agree.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I haven't studied this issue in a whole lot of depth but I would have thought the states rights argument would go the other direction - i.e. Texas doesn't have authority to force a business in say, Idaho, to submit to our laws and collect sales tax on our behalf. What constitutionally triggered it was interstate commerce, when the business itself had a presence in the state. Seems like because the internet has facilitated such simple out-of-state transactions that it's pushed a judicial reinterpretation of the Constitution without formal amendment, which I always find inherently dangerous. But again, I haven't studied this in depth and I noticed that our good justices joined Kennedy and Ginsberg in the majority, so I must be missing something.

I do feel for the brick and mortar stores that may be put at an unfair disadvantage, though that's debatable, but there is a mechanism called the use tax that still requires these taxes to be paid. The fact that it's difficult to enforce doesn't automatically justify this, imho.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The classical liberal argument (favor government over free market) prevails:

The current regulation “allows remote sellers to escape an obligation to remit a lawful state tax is unfair and unjust,” added Kennedy. “It is unfair and unjust to those competitors, both local and out of state, who must remit the tax; to the consumers who pay the tax; and to the states that seek fair enforcement of the sales tax.”

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    You know, that does sound like grandpa resisting the computer age and sticking to his abacus.

Oh come on.
    Hell, trying to find some Ranger T ammo or Gold Dots around here is a waste of time. On-line is the only way to get it.
    Need a bullet mould or a set of reloading dies?
    And I can pick up a lock bridle for a 1777 Charleville just damn near anywhere.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    This has to be sorted out:
    * you live in ABC and buy on line in XYZ, who gets the sales tax and the RULE MUST APPLY to all states and transactions

* my business sells across the US, but I have not advertised and my on line sale are a very small part of my annual revenue so where do I send my check for .85 Cents to XYZ, this is not a burden on my business that will cause me to reconsider selling on line at all. The accounting piece of this will exceed my sales let alone my profits from on line

* since when did SCOTUS start determining sales tax, is STATE sales tax a line item in our US Constitution? I don't think so therefore SCOTUS does not have the authority or validity to make a ruling, their job is to rule upon Constitutionality, not State sales taxes...

This is a CAN OF WORMS for all!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom