• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have a 4800 Watt inverter that does propane or gas. Getting a manual transfer switch in the garage soon, problem is it will only do 110 so can't run heat, air, or dryer. No issues there I got fans and can plug in electric heaters. It's mainly for my mothers oxygen creator which she definitely needs. I can live without the rest.
    Yeah, I've got a portable a/c unit that I move into our bedroom when the power goes out.
    Texas SOT

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    The only item I miss that's on 220 if we have to use the generator is the water heater.

Taking a shower or bath ain't no fun without hot water!

If we're without power long enough I need a hot shower or bath, I've got bigger problems. ;-) in 3 years it won't matter. My house will be solar powered and I'll have a lithium battery bank large enough that I don't have to worry about it unless the sun doesnt come out for a long long time.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I was surprised with our electrical provider last year, that even during the Texas Ice Age, we never lost power at any time. Even during some really bad storms last year, we never lost power.
    Do you have a critical business near you that cannot go down? If so you could on the same line as them. I’m thinking that’s what happened at our farm. The whole town was out except us and a few others who happen to be located close to the brewery

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Would you run your generator in your garage with a door open? Regular door, not the big one? Will they run outside in rain or snow?
    *NEVER* run it inside a garage even with the door open.
    As far as running them outside in the rain and show, they sure can, but it would be better if they are at least somewhat protected somehow from the elements with a tarp hung over something like that.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Would you run your generator in your garage with a door open? Regular door, not the big one? Will they run outside in rain or snow?
    No. And yeah, but don't.
    Airflow is paramount for those engines. In a garage is never a good idea because carbon monoxide buildup and oxygen depletion.
    Rain or snow will short out the circuits. Bad on the receptacles, etc.
    A plywood cover would be better than nothing.
    Be careful with tarps. If a support fails, you'll loose engine cooling circulation or get a nasty melted glob from exhaust heat. Rule of thumb, if it's a portable generator, it's for outdoor use in a dry space.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I have a 4800 Watt inverter that does propane or gas. Getting a manual transfer switch in the garage soon, problem is it will only do 110 so can't run heat, air, or dryer. No issues there I got fans and can plug in electric heaters. It's mainly for my mothers oxygen creator which she definitely needs. I can live without the rest.
    I have a Champion dual fuel generator and had my propane company run an extra outside line for me. My Central System only requires 110 to run heat so I rewired the 110 into the inside unit so I can have heat. I am only concerned with heat, refrigerator, computer, TV, some lighting. Everything else is a low priority. Oh, fridge because I lost all in the Deep Freeze since power was out6 days and it warmed enough to lose all. I was at another location, not home.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I find it strange that people lost their fridge and freezer food during the freeze. Why not put it outside? I did and didn't loose anything. If your not home obviously that is out of your control. Just have heard that in talk about the freeze that people lost their food.

My neighbor at the time for example was talking to me about it during the freeze that all her food was going to go bad. I told her it wouldn't if she left it outside. You could tell that hadn't even crossed her mind.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I find it strange that people lost their fridge and freezer food during the freeze. Why not put it outside? I did and didn't loose anything. If your not home obviously that is out of your control. Just have heard that in talk about the freeze that people lost their food.

My neighbor at the time for example was talking to me about it during the freeze that all her food was going to go bad. I told her it wouldn't if she left it outside. You could tell that hadn't even crossed her mind.
    I thought the same thing. It was way colder outside than my fridge, and sometimes at least as cold as my freezer's.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Some folks just did not think about it.

We put the freezer stuff outside and the fridge stuff in the garage. Worked perfect.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Fashioned an improvised load bank for my Kubota diesel genset. It's a 5600W 240V heater. By running the heater and loading down the Kubota greater than 75% of rated capacity, I hope to avoid potential wet stacking problems on that engine.

Today was the first run because the weather this weekend was so bad. I ran the Kubota for 30-minutes under this load.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    In the case of your gas furnace: do you have to jumper the common and ground at the furnace plug to get it to turn on ? Apparently some of the lock-out sensors on some units use the ground as a signal return and some generators float and the jumper gets things going.
    Sorry to get back to this so late. I do not have to jumper the grounds. I’ve run things through the transfer switch tied to common. I could see the problem if the extension cord was tied directly to the furnace with floating ground on the generator.
    As well, on my bigger unit (gp8000e) for the whole house, I had to research and tear into the head a bit to break the bonded neutral to keep things safe for linemen and the gfci outlets it may power.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    WARNING

The voice of experience. . . . . . .

or,

I already made these mistakes:

When deciding on a permanent home standby generator placement, b/c of our usual climate, central A/C's are used to determine usual maximum load to be served.

BUT,

Most electrical resistance central heating systems actually need a greater amount of power.

It is a lot cheaper and better to just buy a larger unit to begin with.

While on this topic, the larger & more expensive "water-cooled" generator engines are quieter and require less frequent homeowner attention.

Try to not place the generator too near the room in which you usually sleep.

Elevated "pedestal" generator mounts are great, but should be "stand-alone"; not tied-in to a home's framing. You may wish to add extra insulation to outer walls near the machinery. Take care to route their engine exhaust safely away.

As natural gas service virtually never "goes out", that source of piped-in fuel is usually satisfactory. If you don't have access to gas-company piped-in gas, please consult your "gas supplier" to learn of alternatives. Dual-fuel systems are available.

Don't accept "This how this is usually done for homes" as any standard, as few homes are done properly !

Lastly, have a copy of the particular generator's service demands posted somewhere INSIDE your home, like in a utility room or electrical "box". Make sure you have the servicing agent's contact info there, too !

leVieux

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor

My case was that I lost all my fridge because power was out for 6 days and I was not home. A friend let me and my dog and cat stay at her house. She had a gas fireplace that did not need electricity. By the time I got home it had warmed up enough that the food had to be tossed. If home all would be outside!

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    As promised update:
    Just had the solar system installation finished on Friday. 44 LG panels with Enphase IQ 7+ micro inverters, with a Tesla Powerwall 2 for backup.
    The first day, being cloudy, I was generating 75% of the power I needed. Yesterday, I generated 100% and actually sent more to the grid than I used.
    The only things not backed up by the battery is the HVAC system and the hot water heater. I'd need at least 2 more Powerwalls to run those as well.

Top Bottom