• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I've installed a Micro-air Easy Start on the A/C and it reduced starting amps from 79 to 37 according to the amp clamp the A/C guy was using. Water heater, dryer, stove/oven and furnace are all NG, so the A/C is by far the biggest current draw followed by microwave, coffee maker, toaster oven, fridge, freezer.

That Firman might be able to run all that, I just don't know how to calculate all those watts.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    So a 6500 Watt should be okay for fridge, freezer, lights and box fans?

Would cut off water heaters, oven, washer, dryer and not attempt to run a/c.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Another thing to consider, the more load on the generator, the more fuel it's using to maintain the load. Most generators fuel usage for a certain amount of hours on the fuel capacity is usually rated at about half load of the generator.

alwho421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Bartlett
    I've installed a Micro-air Easy Start on the A/C and it reduced starting amps from 79 to 37 according to the amp clamp the A/C guy was using. Water heater, dryer, stove/oven and furnace are all NG, so the A/C is by far the biggest current draw followed by microwave, coffee maker, toaster oven, fridge, freezer.

That Firman might be able to run all that, I just don't know how to calculate all those watts.
    calculation is easy volts times amps equals watts. it's either 110v or 220v (nominal) amp draw is in the owners manual or google it. for example 220v ac unit draw 37 amps watts is 220X37 = 8,140 watts easy

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I think the typical modern house has 50KW service so don't run everything. Unplug the Tesla for sure.

I’ve never seen kw ratings for homes, but converting this to amps:
    Older homes often have 100 amp service.
    150 amp service became popular a few decades ago.
    200 amp service is typically the minimum you’ll find for a newer home.

But it’s not set in stone.
    My house was built in 1973 and it has 200 amp service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Seems like last time I calculated for my house (2400 ft2) Newish highly efficient AC, gas heat and stove and hot water. If I wanted to use everything with no regard as I do now online it would take a 15 to 20kw genset to be comfortable with no worries for me. But in 20 years here so far only lost power about 4 times and the longest for only a few days. For that the Honda 2k inverter generator was more than enough and at $300 used, a bargain that has paid for itself just in non spoiled food costs. Pretty handy for events and outings too! Quiet as well. A small room ac works fine too for one room.

Amazon product ASIN B07NLMX9N8

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Seems like last time I calculated for my house (2400 ft2) Newish highly efficient AC, gas heat and stove and hot water. If I wanted to use everything with no regard as I do now online it would take a 15 to 20kw genset to be comfortable with no worries for me. But in 20 years here so far only lost power about 4 times and the longest for only a few days. For that the Honda 2k inverter generator was more than enough and at $300 used, a bargain that has paid for itself just in non spoiled food costs. Pretty handy for events and outings too! Quiet as well. A small room ac works fine too for one room.

Amazon product ASIN B07NLMX9N8

As I recall, with some of those newer Honda generators, you can piggy-back them together as well if you have the proper electrical cord from Honda.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Look like ERCOT is running at about 96% right now. Not much left to use.
    Yes I got that letter today. Aside from planned down time, they said that the wind farms that are being relied on to bring us through this are not producing enough electricity. It seems that when the wind isn’t blowing, they can’t produce electricity. Shocker... We are being governed by short sighted idiots.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE

Ours was built in 1974 and has 150Amp service. So, instead of choosing an 11kW genset with 50Amp capability, we went with the Kubota that can produce 6kW prime/6.5kW surge with 30Amp capability.

We've got two separate central AC units--a five-ton and a three-ton so, because of that, we opted to have the three-ton unit (and that furnace) comprise three of our ten emergency circuits and not run the five-ton unit at all when on emergency power. That's fine, and will keep our Master Bedroom/Bathroom, and upstairs cool.

Instead of focusing upon whole-house emergency power, I think it's imperative to plan and determine which are your absolute must-haves, and then go from there. It will keep your generator selection much more realistic, and will save you fuel (gas, propane, natural gas, diesel) in the long run.

Last edited:

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA

The 50KW number comes from 200 Amp service. 220v x 200 A = ? around 50KW
    It was in an article I read about charging the new electric vehicles - Their fast charge mode (available at dedicated multiple car charging stations) exceeds a modern house's 50KW service.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom