• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    But most of the "buying" is in the form of credits.
    My system the other day around 3:00 was producing 5 times the amount of power I was using, and that excess went back to the grid.
    Conversely, at night, the panels generated 0 and I was using power from the grid.
    My net for the day was I sent more power to the grid than I used, building on my "credit" for when I need some.
    On a cloudy day I will be using that credit.

It seems like a fair exchange to me.
    Last year California was generating so much green power that they had to pay Arizona to buy the excess, because they had no way to regulate the production state wide. It was very expensive to sell. Arizona had some the cheapest power in the country as a result.
    Don’t get me started on when the told their residents to not charge their electric cars due to shortages. I can’t wait for this to spread nation wide. Significant laughter will ensue.
    Target Sports

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Ok just one last power related jab at California. Until the end of 2019, the most stable and least expensive power was provided by a giant coal power plant in Arizona. All of those electric cars were coal powered. Since they closed it, they have had the least dependable and most expensive power in the country.
    I will shut up now. That was just too easy…

Wulf202

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2021
    Canton tx
    Tennis ball is what I understand.
    Tennis ball based on radar info "in the area"

NREL is pretty close to the foothills and hail tends to push a little farther east in colorado. Usually closer to i-25.

I checked with a friend who worked that storm and he said it was 1.5" in that area.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have a generator also. A Honda 3500 Watt inverter model. It is quiet, and will run all night on a tank. All I need is enough power for the refrigerator, and charging devices, and a light. I swap between a small A/C unit (enough for a room) and the fridge. 5 gallons of gas lasts two days. Storing enough for a week is not difficult.

I have neighbors that run Harbor Freight specials, 7500 watts when they start. Then they are rather thirsty and gas is hard to find in conditions that you need it most. I remember waiting in line after Katrina for 3 hours to buy 10 gallons of gas.

Solar might be useful, but awkward to store if you do not have an expensive permanent system. Natural gas generators look like a strong option though...

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I have a generator also. A Honda 3500 Watt inverter model. It is quiet, and will run all night on a tank. All I need is enough power for the refrigerator, and charging devices, and a light. I swap between a small A/C unit (enough for a room) and the fridge. 5 gallons of gas lasts two days. Storing enough for a week is not difficult.

I have neighbors that run Harbor Freight specials, 7500 watts when they start. Then they are rather thirsty and gas is hard to find in conditions that you need it most. I remember waiting in line after Katrina for 3 hours to buy 10 gallons of gas.

Solar might be useful, but awkward to store if you do not have an expensive permanent system. Natural gas generators look like a strong option though...
    Natural gas generators would be much better for an outage, since you don't need to tend to them with refueling. Still need to perform oil changes though.
    Solar with batteries is a good option, but far more expensive.

Did I understand you ran a generator for 2 days straight on 5 gallons of gas? I have a 3700 watt generator with a 4.5 gallon tank and it runs about 11-12 hours until empty.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Natural gas generators would be much better for an outage, since you don't need to tend to them with refueling. Still need to perform oil changes though.
    Solar with batteries is a good option, but far more expensive.

Did I understand you ran a generator for 2 days straight on 5 gallons of gas? I have a 3700 watt generator with a 4.5 gallon tank and it runs about 11-12 hours until empty.
    That was correct 5 gallons. The generator I have is an inverter model. Why is that important? An inverter generator can run at a speed that matches the load vs a normal generator that has to run at 3600 rpm to maintain the 60Hz. For efficiency it makes a great deal of difference. Keeping a ICE running at 3600 RPM just for frequency is inefficient. The only way that it is as/more efficient is if both are running at max load over the measured period.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    That was correct 5 gallons. The generator I have is an inverter model. Why is that important? An inverter generator can run at a speed that matches the load vs a normal generator that has to run at 3600 rpm to maintain the 60Hz. For efficiency it makes a great deal of difference. Keeping a ICE running at 3600 RPM just for frequency is inefficient. The only way that it is as/more efficient is if both are running at max load over the measured period.
    I didn't know that about the difference between the two. Had I known, I would have spent the extra $ for an inverter model.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I didn't know that about the difference between the two. Had I known, I would have spent the extra $ for an inverter model.
    I've got 2 open frame generators. They have their uses and serve them well.
    I've also go an inverter generator. It shines at low draw, long run applications.
    1 gallon will go about 12 hours watching TV and charging phones in the rv.
    The open frame might cover that 12 hours on 5 gallons.
    The open frame will run the AC for about 6 hours in triple digit weather.
    The inverter unit won't start the AC unit.

It's a tradeoff, or keep both ready.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Normally it is infrequent that I need my generator. Having a generator ready to go, was useful for me this week. Yesterday a delivery truck hit a pole knocking out power for a few hours to several thousand residents. This morning again the power was out for a few hours. It pays to always have a flashlight, generator, knife and gun available for use.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    The best way to ensure you never need a generator is to buy one. I got one last year, and since that time my power has not been out once. I find myself running it every month for 15-30 minutes just to keep it operating in case I do actually need it
    I had mine serviced and prepped for storage. It just sits and waits to be used. I start it up once a year and then have it serviced and prepped again. Small 2kw Honda though. Had a big one but too much trouble and too little use so sold it and got this one. Easily keep a fridge and tv/internet and phones going. All gas for most other things (heat, water, cooking). 15 gallons of treated, stored fuel for its use, plus what is in one car that uses gas for fuel. Change the stored fuel out to the car and refill with treated once a year too. Worked well for nearly a decade now. Maybe only 3-5 times lost power in that time.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I bought a new 4250 watt generator 4 years ago. Only paid $299 for it. Never used it until last February when the power was out for 5 days.
    Looking back, I should have tested it before I put it into use since that was one hell of an acid test.
    That thing ran almost non-stop for 5 days. Only stopped to refuel it twice a day. Was *supposed* to change the oil after the first 25 hours of use. Wayyyy overshot that figure.
    I learned a lot from those 5 days and decided I didn't want to do that again. Got a solar system with battery backup.
    I'm still keeping the generator just in case since 2 is 1, and 1 is none.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’ve had a few RV’s and lots of generators.

A few seasoned techs over the years gave me this advice that I tried to follow:
    Startup your generator regularly.

It’s better to run it for 2 hours than 15 minutes.

Run the carb dry when you shut it off.
    Edit: SHUT!

Don’t be afraid of putting hours on a generator (especially in an RV), they’re designed to run for a looooong time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    I bought a North Star 13.5kw earlier this year, mainly because it has the Honda 630 engine. I plan to buy a propane conversion option for the engine.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I bought a North Star 13.5kw earlier this year, mainly because it has the Honda 630 engine. I plan to buy a propane conversion option for the engine.
    Yeah, I use propane in my generator. Although it can be used for both gasoline and propane, I didn't want to have gasoline sitting in it for long periods of time.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom