TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I had the Generac inverter generator during the freeze
    It's a 2000 watt unit
    Kept it stored with aviation gas ..so no ethanol
    I got it out during the freeze and it started kn 12 degree Temps in my garage
    It was plenty for us to make coffe..charge phones , some LED lights and run the fridge
    I could not be happier with how it preformed when I needed it

If that's an attached garage you are very lucky. Last Feb several people made that mistake and won't ever make another one. Deceased
    Gun Zone Deals

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I asked for a quote from a company called Drone Quote

Supposedly they use satellite images and drones to evaluate your roof. I just had to take a few pics of my panel, and power bill, and then they’ll email me a quote from various solar companies in my area…without a salesman coming by and giving me the hard-sell.

I heard the owner on a podcast and it sounded good. We’ll see what they say…

Last quote I got was over $100k from someone at church. NFW am I dropping that kinda coin on a solar roof…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    https://www.renvu.com/Talesun-450W-144-Half-Cell-Mono-Tier-1-Bifacial-Solar-Panel 25 = 6774.25

https://www.renvu.com/Products/Solar-Inverters/Grid-Tie-Microinverters 25 = 3519.6

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/12v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery/ = 8000 USD

^ 10 x 100 ah at 12 V = 12Kw or so.. The Powerwall is 13.5

Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT Tr 150V 100 amp 12/24/36/48-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth) = 780 USD

Now I still need the racks and the wire which will run another 2 grand. so total maybe 22000 plus installation.

reposting since at the end of hte page no one reads. 22k plus installation, if you want a 250V Controller its like 300 bucks more.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    reposting since at the end of hte page no one reads. 22k plus installation, if you want a 250V Controller its like 300 bucks more.
    You'll also need to factor in breaker sub panels unless everything on the house can be driven off the battery,.
    Also bypass switches. Inspections, Still a lot less than 82k factoring all that in.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    How do panels affect insurance rates? Any before/ after pricing? I think that would have an impact on break even. Personally, I wouldn’t mind having them, but break even would need to be no greater than the lifetime of an asphalt shingled roof

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    How do panels affect insurance rates? Any before/ after pricing? I think that would have an impact on break even. Personally, I wouldn’t mind having them, but break even would need to be no greater than the lifetime of an asphalt shingled roof
    I would guess that rates would go up. The panels will suffer hail damage more easily than the roof.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    I would guess that rates would go up. The panels will suffer hail damage more easily than the roof.

Most panels are stronger than shingles. Some of them are bullet resistant.

The National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL) in Golden, Colorado, can attest to the resilience of solar panels against extreme weather. NREL is home to an enormous solar energy system consisting of 3,168 rooftop- and ground-mounted solar panels. In 2017, a severe hail storm hit the greater Denver area and the NREL campus.

Despite hailstones up to 2.75 inches in diameter being reported in the area — and the countless cars and windows that were damaged — only one of the facility’s 3,168 solar panels sustained damage.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas

The National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL) in Golden, Colorado, can attest to the resilience of solar panels against extreme weather. NREL is home to an enormous solar energy system consisting of 3,168 rooftop- and ground-mounted solar panels. In 2017, a severe hail storm hit the greater Denver area and the NREL campus.

Despite hailstones up to 2.75 inches in diameter being reported in the area — and the countless cars and windows that were damaged — only one of the facility’s 3,168 solar panels sustained damage.
    But are they using commercial quality panels, or the cheap Chicom panels that are so prevalent for homeowners? Asking for a friend.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    But are they using commercial quality panels, or the cheap Chicom panels that are so prevalent for homeowners? Asking for a friend.

I wouldn't know I'm buying commercial panels direct from vendors lol. But my guess is they are pretty tough. Elon's solar shingles are bullet resistant and they've been putting those on houses for 2 years.

edit -- here is the testing standard for ALL solar panels "Solar panel manufacturers test their products to ensure that they are capable of withstanding hail storms. In most cases, solar panels are tested and certified to withstand hail of up to 25 mm (one inch) falling at 23 meters per second (approximately 50 miles per hour)."

If you care about wind they are rated up to 140mph. In florida they are required to be rated up to 160mph sustained, not gusts.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Typically, home/rooftop solar panels are not the same as used for commercial installation. I have seen serious hail damage on residential rooftop panels.

Wulf202

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2021
    Canton tx

NREL didn't get hit that badly in that area. They got golf ball sized hail.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    IMHO solar panels are the reason that California electricity is so expensive. A natural gas power plant can generate electricity for 0.05 cents per kilowatt hour.

The Cali power provider is forced by the state to buy back unused power at the same rate it is sold for, around 0.18 to 0.24 dollars per kWh.
    The power company is essentially paying more than 500 times more than the cost they produce it for.

Build your own power plant in California and get rich. Most of the cost is in transmission and not production of electricity.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    IMHO solar panels are the reason that California electricity is so expensive. A natural gas power plant can generate electricity for 0.05 cents per kilowatt hour.

The Cali power provider is forced by the state to buy back unused power at the same rate it is sold for, around 0.18 to 0.24 dollars per kWh.
    The power company is essentially paying more than 500 times more than the cost they produce it for.

Build your own power plant in California and get rich. Most of the cost is in transmission and not production of electricity.
    But most of the "buying" is in the form of credits.
    My system the other day around 3:00 was producing 5 times the amount of power I was using, and that excess went back to the grid.
    Conversely, at night, the panels generated 0 and I was using power from the grid.
    My net for the day was I sent more power to the grid than I used, building on my "credit" for when I need some.
    On a cloudy day I will be using that credit.

It seems like a fair exchange to me.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    But most of the "buying" is in the form of credits.
    My system the other day around 3:00 was producing 5 times the amount of power I was using, and that excess went back to the grid.
    Conversely, at night, the panels generated 0 and I was using power from the grid.
    My net for the day was I sent more power to the grid than I used, building on my "credit" for when I need some.
    On a cloudy day I will be using that credit.

It seems like a fair exchange to me.
    If I am not mistaken, Cali has a different system (or did) than Texas.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

We got raped on power pricing long before solar was a thing

Power Utilities are legal monopolies in CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom