• ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    As promised update:
    Just had the solar system installation finished on Friday. 44 LG panels with Enphase IQ 7+ micro inverters, with a Tesla Powerwall 2 for backup.
    The first day, being cloudy, I was generating 75% of the power I needed. Yesterday, I generated 100% and actually sent more to the grid than I used.
    The only things not backed up by the battery is the HVAC system and the hot water heater. I'd need at least 2 more Powerwalls to run those as well.

Solid system

Pretty much what my two solar-company-owning buddies told me to get.

You have per-panel metering as well, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    As promised update:
    Just had the solar system installation finished on Friday. 44 LG panels with Enphase IQ 7+ micro inverters, with a Tesla Powerwall 2 for backup.
    The first day, being cloudy, I was generating 75% of the power I needed. Yesterday, I generated 100% and actually sent more to the grid than I used.
    The only things not backed up by the battery is the HVAC system and the hot water heater. I'd need at least 2 more Powerwalls to run those as well.

What was your total price?

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Solid system

Pretty much what my two solar-company-owning buddies told me to get.

You have per-panel metering as well, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I haven't checked that yet. I know there's aggregate in the enphase web page, and it sees all the microinverters.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    For me, that would take 45 years to reach breakeven if the system produced 100% of the power. And that is not taking into account the continual panel output degradation nor the expected useful life of the panels (less than half of the years to reach breakeven).

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    For me, that would take 45 years to reach breakeven if the system produced 100% of the power. And that is not taking into account the continual panel output degradation nor the expected useful life of the panels (less than half of the years to reach breakeven).
    There is a tax break to consider, but yeah it's not what I would call cheap.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I see my neighbor just got his Generac and a well used propane tank. Nice of the weather allowing him to get out and paint that rusty mofo.
    That’s actually a good idea. I wonder how long say a 15kw rig would run on a 500 gallon propane tank?

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Uh.... The materials for that come out to less than 30k. They charged 52k to install?

I am asking because I am already pricing a similar system (minus the powerwall which is not a good value) and it's not even 18000.
    I'm sure the company that installed mine made a nice profit, but I don't know how you can get 44 panels, 44 micro inverters, a Tesla Powerwall 2, plus the Enphase controller for 30k.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    The main thing I have a problem with is spending that kind of money, and not being able to power AC/heat.
    I have portable heaters that will do for night time.
    As long as the sun it out, the system has enough power to run the HVAC system since it's over 16.5kw output. At night, it's a different story since the single Powerwall won't be enough to power the HVAC system.

The system is mainly for peace of mind, I know it's going to take over 20 years to get a ROI on it (if ever).

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I have portable heaters that will do for night time.
    As long as the sun it out, the system has enough power to run the HVAC system since it's over 16.5kw output. At night, it's a different story since the single Powerwall won't be enough to power the HVAC system.

The system is mainly for peace of mind, I know it's going to take over 20 years to get a ROI on it (if ever).
    We don't know what electricity prices will be in the future.
    I will say, I've worked for electric utility companies since 1981. It was about 8 cents a kwh in '81.
    It's about 10 cents now.
    They can generate and distribute way cheaper than you ever will.

Just keep some sort of emergency power at the ready.
    Chances of a week long outage are pretty good. Mother Nature is a fickle bitch.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I'm sure the company that installed mine made a nice profit, but I don't know how you can get 44 panels, 44 micro inverters, a Tesla Powerwall 2, plus the Enphase controller for 30k.
    https://www.renvu.com/Talesun-450W-144-Half-Cell-Mono-Tier-1-Bifacial-Solar-Panel 25 = 6774.25

https://www.renvu.com/Products/Solar-Inverters/Grid-Tie-Microinverters 25 = 3519.6

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/12v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery/ = 8000 USD

^ 10 x 100 ah at 12 V = 12Kw or so.. The Powerwall is 13.5

Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT Tr 150V 100 amp 12/24/36/48-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth) = 780 USD

Now I still need the racks and the wire which will run another 2 grand. so total maybe 22000 plus installation.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom