Guns International

General Info and Discussion - West Texas Gunsmiths / Shooting Ranges/ Stores etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Groove Street

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Ahoy!

Being relatively new to Lubbock and West Texas (Dallas native), I just wanted to touch base with fellow shooters in the area. Specifically, I am interested to find out about the "hot spots," - awesome local places when it comes to shooting, having a gun worked on or looking at new/used firearms and other gear.

So, where does everyone frequent?

Thus far I have really only ventured to Rustic Range for practice. No complaints here; I really like the pistol/rifle setup (although I have to admit, I'm not too great at skeet/trap - yet!)

Right now I am in need of a Certified Glock Armorer to install a new set of sights, but mostly to completely strip the gun down and give it its first internal cleaning.

So, where are your favorite places around Lubbock/West Texas? (Hey, throw in some good food places too!)
    Lynx Defense

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    There are two gun shops on 34th that are good places. I bought guns from both of them and they are good to deal with. I like Rustic Range also, no fun when the wind blows. What kind of food do you like?

Groove Street

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Food wise... anything really. Mexican and Italian are my favorite, but I love any place that has good BBQ....

I'm just trying to find a local Glock armorer... time to have some work done!

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    There was a gunsmith that worked for Grander Mountain by the name of Willie, he is starting his own business soon. As soon as I find out when he starts I can let you know. If you like burgers there is a place place called 5 Guys Burgers in the shopping center buy Indiana and the Marsha Sharp highway. Real good eats.

1stSSPZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    For anything needing done as far as handguns, go to Patriot Firearms Range (5840 49th street, west side of town just outside the loop) and ask for Jason. Excellent gunsmith (he builds a nice 1911). We shoot IDPA there every Tuesday night (start @ 6:00pm) and Saturday morning (start @ 9:00am) and have a great time! PM me here if you want and we can hook-up!

Tom H

realone806

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Lubbock
    sharpshooters is a nice place to browse but they are overpriced and not terribly helpful. there is a new surplus/tactical supply store at 28th and ave q. that some cool accesories, AR parts, and other stuff.... ya'll checked it out?

realone806

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Lubbock
    oh and on the food side some good local places: spankys, lite bite, jaliscos, furrs, caboose, cagles, bryans, thai thai, hub city wings...... and the list goes on lol

BigFatAmericanDream

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lubbock
    I have nothing but bad things to say about sharpshooters. They have been under investigation from the ATF several times, they never offer a fair price of your gun and ALWAYS overprice EVERYTHING. When they go to gun shows they buy up everything good at the very beginning and then turn around and re-sell it for an outrageous price. I was in the store one day and saw one of the employees get ARRESTED by a freaking SWAT TEAM! I don't know what the hell kind of operation they are running there but I avoid them at all costs.

Randy is a great guy down at west texas military surplus on 34th east of university [not the black gun store but the next one down] he always has the cheapest prices in town.

and as for good eats I LOVE the golden field buffet on university across from target. They have the best beef and broccoli I have ever had :)

Ranges are few and far between, patriot is the only one actually in lubbock and its only a pistol range, but for $10 you can shoot all day, even leave and come back as long as its the same day.

Rustic is south in slaton, no complaints, cept I shoot for hours on end so the hourly rate eats me up.

I shoot at an abandoned plot of land north of levelland called "the pit" am actually headed out there today around 2:00 to blow up a dishwasher if anyone wants to join me, just give me a call/text at 512.751.5198 and I can give you directions [we try to keep it a secret so it doesn't get overcrowded]

shalom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2012
    Panhandle O' TX
    Dub sold Rustic Range off the Slaton Hwy a few weeks ago to the Betenbough's who have made it a private club. Rumor has it that an annual membership is $1200 and they have taken a lot of heat over this move.

Randy recently sold the Military Surplus gun store on 34th to Justin and it is small but a good place for firearms sales. Recommended.

Thomas owns Empire Pawn #3 just east of 50th & Q. Recommended.

The Gun Shack is owned by the Ellis' and they are out south on Slide road a few miles. Friendly, but higher prices. Kinda recommended.

I have done several transactions with Sharp Shooters and it has taken a few years for them to recognize that I am a knowledgeable customer with money in my pocket. They have some real attitiude problems at this place (especially the younger employees) but 3 of their employees treat me good. They are way over priced but they have a big selection.--Avoid or last resort.

Gander Mountain- big selection but over priced. Sometimes you can find a deal here on used guns.-- Meh recommended over Sharp Shooters

Academy- very little expertise but good prices.

I know of no current place to shoot outdoors or rifle ranges.

Food? I know all the good places and the hole-in-the-wall places that are good.

gulliver22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Lubbock
    I'd second all of Shalom's comments. Sharp Shooters has the best selection, but their attitude isnt very good. Numerous times i've gone in there and couldnt get help without having to be persistent, and some of them are pretty snotty. I do like that they are doing more black rifle stuff, and Chris is the main guy in that section and pretty friendly/helpful. If you are looking for a deal, go elsewhere, like one of the two stores on 34th street by University.

If anyone buys a FFL item on gunbroker or other website, there is a local guy that will do you gun transfer and charge you only $15. www.dmftx.com is his website, and his name is Chris (not the same one that is at Sharpshooters, fyi). Great guy. I tried to give him extra and he wouldnt take it. He can get guns, but mainly he just does transfers.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    I went to see Randy a couple days ago to see that he is was not the store owner any more. Made me sad. Loved his cheap transfer fee. Everyone else is stupid high. Always told my self I was gonna buy a gun from him to give him business but I kept finding old guns from individuals.

Philo Beddoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Lubbock, Tx.
    I'd second all of Shalom's comments. Sharp Shooters has the best selection, but their attitude isnt very good. Numerous times i've gone in there and couldnt get help without having to be persistent, and some of them are pretty snotty. I do like that they are doing more black rifle stuff, and Chris is the main guy in that section and pretty friendly/helpful. If you are looking for a deal, go elsewhere, like one of the two stores on 34th street by University.

If anyone buys a FFL item on gunbroker or other website, there is a local guy that will do you gun transfer and charge you only $15. www.dmftx.com is his website, and his name is Chris (not the same one that is at Sharpshooters, fyi). Great guy. I tried to give him extra and he wouldnt take it. He can get guns, but mainly he just does transfers.

Sharp Shooters gives me a decent discount and they treat me well, maybe because they know that when I'm there there's a good chance I'm buying a gun.

Philo Beddoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Lubbock, Tx.
    For good priced mexican food that is consistently good and rarely busy, we eat El Chico's on Marsha Sharp just east on Quaker every week and have for 15 years.

Top Bottom