• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I got a 15000 watt generac generator. I’m trying to sell it but it won’t start. It’s electric start. It will crank and crank but won’t turn over. It has good spark, compression and fresh gas. Could it be a gummed you carb? It did sit for about 2 years
    Any suggestions? I’ve added new spark plugs and drained old gas and added fresh gas
    9704cacbac45d185327361b8cab95be2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

Attachments

• 9704cacbac45d185327361b8cab95be2.jpg
      9704cacbac45d185327361b8cab95be2.jpg
      35.7 KB · Views: 435

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Unless the engine has a fuel pump, it may depend of a diaphragm to move the fuel...
    I cant tell you how many times replacing that $2 part has got me up and running

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I agree....carb......can't let them sit that long even if you run it out of gas....most likely culprit is ethanol........I had the same problem with one mine...rebuild kit was like $15.00...new carb was only $28.00...I R&R'd the carb...........

looks a bit small for a 15000 watt generator compared to my 8500 watt Generac.....probably just the pic....

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I agree....carb......can't let them sit that long even if you run it out of gas....most likely culprit is ethanol........I had the same problem with one mine...rebuild kit was like $15.00...new carb was only $28.00...I R&R'd the carb...........

looks a bit small for a 15000 watt generator compared to my 8500 watt Generac.....

Picture doesn’t do it justice. I’m 6’ and that handle bar is over waist height

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Kinda what I thought......I take it you have another.....

Can't be without one in Texas.....imho...

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I did a quick search on google for a replacement carburetor and all the prices I saw were at least $90. Could’ve searched wrong but thats what I saw

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I changed mine 3 years ago after Harvey.......different engine/carb......

Take the carb apart, spray it with carb cleaner and spray air through every orifice you can....be careful with the rubber parts and gaskets.....betting it starts..........

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Did anyone suggest carb?

I run a half gallon thru mine 2x a year with stabil in it and I still run it dry. Its 10 years old and started first pull a couple weeks back.

Lucky I guess. But you gotta run them dry at the very least or the turn into varnished gummy bears like crap inside all the holes.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Before you do the whole carb thing try spraying some of that engine start ether into the air intake. Some times if you get ignition with that the engine will keep going and maybe clean the carb. Otherwise do the carb.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Order up some PRI-G, its worked on other generators that have been sitting for too long.

PREPPERS use PRI-G to store 55gal drums of fuel. They also have a PRI-D for diesel.
    Ive ran PRI-G in my boat for the last 4yrs that sits from time to time & have never had an issue with not starting when i launch.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Order up some PRI-G, its worked on other generators that have been sitting for too long.

PREPPERS use PRI-G to store 55gal drums of fuel. They also have a PRI-D for diesel.
    Ive ran PRI-G in my boat for the last 4yrs that sits from time to time & have never had an issue with not starting when i launch.

I bought some of that but haven't used it yet. The gas has been in my truck about a year.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

I haven't used that but there are some good products that will save gummed up carbs without tearing them apart.

I bought some premixed stuff that really helped out a chainsaw that had been sitting.

Top Bottom