• ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Great idea!

About 10 or 15 years ago, Luby's got in some hot water over giving discounts to police officers. Someone tried to have that considered bribery and it was all over the news. Luby's didn't back down. I'm sure rival restaurants didn't like losing business, but the big thing was that NOBODY robbed a Luby's. Even the dumbest of criminals knew how popular the place was for LEOs. Well, almost.... In 2012, someone tried to rob 3 plainclothes officers outside of a Luby's. The robber quickly assumed room temperature, so to speak.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    There was a place (or were there two) in Abilene that also gave 10% off orders (BBQ I think) with an CHL. It has been 3-4 years since I saw it though.

Reactions: gll

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Back in 1979-80 I worked the night shift alone at a stop and rob just south of Denton right off of an I-35E exit and entry ramp.

This was when Dallas was having a string of robberies each ending with the employee(s) taken to the back cooler and shot in the head.

My boss/owner had a no gun policy for employees. Needless to say I ignored that. I kept a sawed off SG under the counter and a 38 derringer in my pocket. Keep in mind there were no Micro pistols back then except for 25’s or 22’s. So don’t go judgIng me for the derringer.

I was very fortunate that a man named Robert would come hang out for an hour right up to closing time. That really put my mind somewhat at ease.

Though he was not armed, he always stood near the door so he could be easily seen from the outside.

That my friends is a good man.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Back in 1979-80 I worked the night shift alone at a stop and rob just south of Denton right off of an I-35E exit and entry ramp.

This was when Dallas was having a string of robberies each ending with the employee(s) taken to the back cooler and shot in the head.

My boss/owner had a no gun policy for employees. Needless to say I ignored that. I kept a sawed off SG under the counter and a 38 derringer in my pocket. Keep in mind there were no Micro pistols back then except for 25’s or 22’s. So don’t go judgIng me for the derringer.

I was very fortunate that a man named Robert would come hang out for an hour right up to closing time. That really put my mind somewhat at ease.

Though he was not armed, he always stood near the door so he could be easily seen from the outside.

That my friends is a good man.
    Back then, the PPK /was/ a feasible concealed carry option.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Many years ago, my Dad worked the night shift at my Brother-in-law's gas station in Wash. D.C. .
    He brought in an easy chair and a coffee pot. He would pick up 2 dozen doughnuts on the way to work each night. He put the easy chair in the bay, where you could see into the office. He had a few robbery attempts, but for some reason there always seemed to be a Cop right THERE!

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Back then, the PPK /was/ a feasible concealed carry option.

Yes it was. However, back then concealed carry was illegal. Because of that you could not just walk Into a gun shop and grab a holster. There was not the education, exposure, magazine coverage, and obviously no internet.

Because carrying was illegal, I was super paranoid about trying to cover up a standard OWB holster back then. Thus, I felt pocket carry was safest route Which I began more than 20 years before it was legal.

Hell, I got arrested in 1975 by the Dallas police just for having a pistol under the seat of my truck. Because the law read that it must be in your Trunk. Pick ups don’t have trunks, so where do carry your pistol while traveling? Police didn’t care, hauled my ass to jail.

The point is, we live in a fantastic time in Texas right now, gun wise. It’s a whole different wide open world.

retrieverman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2019
    Texas
    Great idea!

About 10 or 15 years ago, Luby's got in some hot water over giving discounts to police officers. Someone tried to have that considered bribery and it was all over the news. Luby's didn't back down. I'm sure rival restaurants didn't like losing business, but the big thing was that NOBODY robbed a Luby's. Even the dumbest of criminals knew how popular the place was for LEOs. Well, almost.... In 2012, someone tried to rob 3 plainclothes officers outside of a Luby's. The robber quickly assumed room temperature, so to speak.
    Lucy’s was/is still trying to make up for the massacre in Killeen in 1991.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Great idea!

Seattle Starbucks USED to be a hangout for LEOs, before they told them they couldn't come in armed, which is why I haven't bought a Starbucks coffee in many years.

It was such a well known LE hangout that some asshole went in and shot five cops one morning. IDK how most Texicans feel about LEOs, but that just ain't right.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom