• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eliteimpulse31

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2019
    Godley
    Looking for some advice for fishing the surf in June or July in Galveston. We are taking a little vacay and will have 4-6 kiddos and would love for them to catch some fish while we are there. Any advice is much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Depends on which fish you want catch.
    Speckled trout don’t require much. A typical bass rod/reel will work. Live shrimp under a cork is usually productive.
    Lures work too but require constant working to catch fix.
    You don’t need to go way out either. Fish in the deeper troughs that run parallel to the beach.
    Bigger fish like large redfish, sharks, jackfish require heavier tackle. Chunks of cut up mullet work well.
    The classic method to for these are “long rods”. Poles 10ft long or longer casting out past the breakers. Heavy weights sink the bait to the bottom and you wait.
    PM if you want more details.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Looking for some advice for fishing the surf in June or July in Galveston. We are taking a little vacay and will have 4-6 kiddos and would love for them to catch some fish while we are there. Any advice is much appreciated

Welcome to the Forum!

Eliteimpulse31

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2019
    Godley
    Honestly just looking for the kids to catch some fish and make some memories with their dads. So probably going to try to take the easiest route. Thanks for the info so far

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Be careful with kids in the surf, strong riptides this time of year. You can fish off Texas City dike and some of the piers there but it can be crowded on weekends. There are a few places down past San Louis pass and some the other direction in Boliver. There used to be a couple spots down Ave S but been a long time since I lived down there.

Agree speckled trout on shrimp below a cork. Peeled shrimp on a drag a couple feet up from the weight for flounder, especially on sand bars. For lures redfish like silver spoons, trout on plastic worms, I've had luck on red or purple.

Careful handling hardheads (look like a catfish), they have a very sharp dorsal spine. Sheepshead are bait stealers, they have many tiny bones and are too much trouble to eat.

Take a pair of pliers for stingrays and hold the end of their tail or hold it down to unhook them. You do not want to be stung which reminds me... Drag your feet if you wade, kicking a ray they'll swim off, step on it you'll get nailed.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Be careful with kids in the surf, strong riptides this time of year. You can fish off Texas City dike and some of the piers there but it can be crowded on weekends. There are a few places down past San Louis pass and some the other direction in Boliver. There used to be a couple spots down Ave S but been a long time since I lived down there.

Agree speckled trout on shrimp below a cork. Peeled shrimp on a drag a couple feet up from the weight for flounder, especially on sand bars. For lures redfish like silver spoons, trout on plastic worms, I've had luck on red or purple.

Careful handling hardheads (look like a catfish), they have a very sharp dorsal spine. Sheepshead are bait stealers, they have many tiny bones and are too much trouble to eat.

Take a pair of pliers for stingrays and hold the end of their tail or hold it down to unhook them. You do not want to be stung which reminds me... Drag your feet if you wade, kicking a ray they'll swim off, step on it you'll get nailed.
    Brings back some very old memories.

Top Bottom