• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Geez I had no idea of this and I have never seen a sign there stating as such. Do you know where I can get a letter for that lake or area?

Each district has a different contact number. For some districts its handled by their public affairs office, other districts you contact the executive office, others its the legal office.

Start with the public affairs office or general questions phone number/email first.

Search on USACE and then district name. Here is a copy of the District map.

D33F47E9-2CA7-4C6D-9367-8D77CD4F2A1A.jpeg

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Having grown-up in a neighbor State in which "open carry" of handguns was NEVER illegal, I have difficulty understanding why this causes so much confusion in Texas, a State in which "open carry" of long guns has never been illegal.
    leVieux

This is for USACE recreational properties.

No matter where you are in the USA, USACE does not allow open carry of firearms, or without a LTC.

Does not matter what state your in or from. ALL USACE recreational properties require a permission letter AND a LTC from that state or one that the state has reciprocity with. And open carry is never legal on USACE.

Just cause you havent been caught doesnt mean its not illegal.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin

No matter where you are in the USA, USACE does not allow open carry of firearms, or without a LTC.

Does not matter what state your in or from. ALL USACE recreational properties require a permission letter AND a LTC from that state or one that the state has reciprocity with. And open carry is never legal on USACE.

I am glad you shared this info. Now I am just pissed that they didnt start the Tulsa district at the red river. Looks like some of the parks I go to will be on the border of Tulsa and FW causing a big headache

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I understand and did understand.

Comment was meant in "general".

To me, I never could see how the government could ever justify any restriction of carrying on public properties. "Shall NOT be infringed" always comes to mind.
    leVieux

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I am glad you shared this info. Now I am just pissed that they didnt start the Tulsa district at the red river. Looks like some of the parks I go to will be on the border of Tulsa and FW causing a big headache
    Just get both letters like I did, keep a copy of the pdf viewable on your phone and your LTC, and your good.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I understand and did understand.

Comment was meant in "general".

To me, I never could see how the government could ever justify any restriction of carrying on public properties. "Shall NOT be infringed" always comes to mind.
    leVieux

Well the new rule change when it finally comes, whenever it does, and eventually it will, will put the USACE in line with the same policy as the national park system.

Which means once enacted, USACE properties will be whatever the state does. Meaning for Texas and Oklahoma lakes with us being constitutional carry, we won’t need a LTC, or permission letter, and be able to open carry.

That won’t happen though till the rule change becomes effective.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Just get both letters like I did, keep a copy of the pdf viewable on your phone and your LTC, and your good.
    Do the people on the phone deal with this alot? Or am I looking forward to the .gov runaround ? Once again I appreciate the responses. Very helpful

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >

Let me give an example: Back in the 1970's many of us had special "beach trucks" with 4WD, larger fuel tanks, big soft tires, etc. and would venture far down the PINS at all times of year. All firearms were prohibited by regulation. The beach far from Port Mansfield or The ranger station HQ was absolute wilderness. The ONLY "police" presence was the every 12 hours ranger Jeep patrols, from the HQ to the Port Mansfield Channel and back. We told both the rangers and the County Sheriffs that we weren't going unarmed. We got "winks" from them all. The rangers viewed us as sort of informal "deputies" as we all carried radios, extra wheels/tires, jacks air compressors, fuel in Jerry cans, chains, etc. Several of us were MD's, RN's, & EMT's. We did more minor rescues than the official services. The ethic of the era was that we would always help another 4WD in trouble free of charge. Many of those were elderly Midwestern tourists in Jeeps they had towed behind motor homes, but underestimated distances or softness of sands. Others towed stuck 2WD's past the "4WD ONLY" signs for a fee, and helped pay for their beach trucks in that manner. I never charged anyone for help.

Oh look, I went on a little "rant" !

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well the new rule change when it finally comes, whenever it does, and eventually it will, will put the USACE in line with the same policy as the national park system.

Which means once enacted, USACE properties will be whatever the state does. Meaning for Texas and Oklahoma lakes with us being constitutional carry, we won’t need a LTC, or permission letter, and be able to open carry.

That won’t happen though till the rule change becomes effective.

Thank you for this explanation; I hadn't "kept-up".

leVieux

Last edited:

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Do the people on the phone deal with this alot? Or am I looking forward to the .gov runaround ? Once again I appreciate the responses. Very helpful

Sadly depends on who you get. Tulsa wasn’t to bad, Fort Worth wasn’t bad, Galveston was horrible, Chicago distract was insane. However the savanna district for Georgia was the fastest nicest and easiest. Got that letter in 48 hours.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    >

Let me give an example: Back in the 1970's many of us had special "beach trucks" with 4WD, larger fuel tanks, big soft tires, etc. and would venture far down the PINS at all times of year. All firearms were prohibited by regulation. The beach far from Port Mansfield or The ranger station HQ was absolute wilderness. The ONLY "police" presence was the every 12 hours ranger Jeep patrols, from the HQ to the Port Mansfield Channel and back. We told both the rangers and the County Sheriffs that we weren't going unarmed. We got "winks" from them all. The rangers viewed us as sort of informal "deputies" as we all carried radios, extra wheels/tires, jacks air compressors, fuel in Jerry cans, chains, etc. Several of us were MD's, RN's, & EMT's. We did more minor rescues than the official services. The ethic of the era was that we would always help another 4WD in trouble free of charge. Many of those were elderly Midwestern tourists in Jeeps they had towed behind motor homes, but underestimated distances or softness of sands. Others towed stuck 2WD's past the "4WD ONLY" signs for a fee, and helped pay for their beach trucks in that manner. I never charged anyone for help.

Oh look, I went on a little "rant" !

leVieux

Having been a former paramedic in my younger days, and now own a 4x4 that I have taken to Moab, and done some of the more difficult areas there, as well as the Rubicon trail. I know full well that we “off-readers” fully take care of each other. I have helped my fair share, and have been helped a few times as well.

LEO’s for some areas, will usually let most off the hook, unless they are being an AH‘s or are being complete idiots.

I know a doctor from Houston (retired now) who carried all the time, way before Texas Carry permits were allowed. The DA for Houston a good friend of his at the time, said he didnt Prosecute otherwise law abiding citizens for simply carrying a firearm. Most of the police at that time wouldn’t arrest you either. It’s only when your breaking other laws, being an AH, or other wise being stupid, that you would get into trouble.

Karmas a b**ch, she can knock you down or give ya a boost. It’s all about how we treat people. The better we treat others, the better we will be treated.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Having been a former paramedic in my younger days, and now own a 4x4 that I have taken to Moab, and done some of the more difficult areas there, as well as the Rubicon trail. I know full well that we “off-readers” fully take care of each other. I have helped my fair share, and have been helped a few times as well.

LEO’s for some areas, will usually let most off the hook, unless they are being an AH‘s or are being complete idiots.

I know a doctor from Houston (retired now) who carried all the time, way before Texas Carry permits were allowed. The DA for Houston a good friend of his at the time, said he didnt Prosecute otherwise law abiding citizens for simply carrying a firearm. Most of the police at that time wouldn’t arrest you either. It’s only when your breaking other laws, being an AH, or other wise being stupid, that you would get into trouble.

Karmas a b**ch, she can knock you down or give ya a boost. It’s all about how we treat people. The better we treat others, the better we will be treated.

Yes, I was in Houston 1977-81 and 2003-08. After my escape from parolee kidnapper and after my Friend Dr. Pat Fitzpatrick's vicious execution murder in 1980, I spoke with two senior HPD Officers/Friends, both said the exact same thing, go ahead and carry concealed. I did not know D A John Holmes except by reputation, but the then U S Attorney was my "Old Lawyer" and Friend. I never had another problem in Houston until long after the permits allowed legal C.C.
    leVieux

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The days of cops and prosecutors looking the other way for law-abiding citizens are I suspect long gone and probably never to return again. Break the law, go to jail and don't pass "GO" and collect $200.

After September the 1st, at least that won't apply to carrying a firearm concealed or openly without a permit in Texas.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    The days of cops and prosecutors looking the other way for law-abiding citizens are I suspect long gone and probably never to return again. Break the law, go to jail and don't pass "GO" and collect $200.

After September the 1st, at least that won't apply to carrying a firearm concealed or openly without a permit in Texas.
    Until you step onto USACE land or water! Lol

Top Bottom