• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankDude72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of the more important concepts to internalize in the study of self-defense is recognizing a furtive movement
    AND being able to articulate why you thought the furtive movement indicated the kind of threat where you felt compelled to employ deadly force.

Just whipped up a couple videos to help people understand this concept better.

First one is a live fire demonstration of how difficult it is to determine if someone's reaching for a weapon or something more innocuous.

YouTube - ‪Furtive Movement Defense‬‏

Second is a lecture based on some of Preston K. Covey's IALEFI work and Ayoob's LFI-1 work,
    where the criteria to use lethal force against a BG performing a furtive movement are fleshed out and articulated.

YouTube - ‪Furtive Movement Defense Lecture‬‏

Hope some of y'all find this helpful.

Seemed like the most appropriate subforum, mods move if necessary.
    Lynx Defense

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Interesting concept, the masked draw and symmetry of the 4 o'clock draw does give an edge from that perspective.

I do have a Tucker holster that is situated for a 4 o'clock, need to try this out some.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm sub'd on your YT channel BTW. ;) Small world.

I've played around with this concept a bit. One area where I think this could make another positive benefit is in a situation where the attacker's focus is not necessarily on you. Say, the typical gas station scenario. Gunman comes in scares everyone but ultimately focuses on the person behind the register. Instead of telegraphing your intention with the typical flinch response and appearance of a draw stroke, you can do things like casually blade yourself ~45 degrees to the threat, and if you do a draw tight to the body he probably won't see your primary arm or elbow moving. Actually, this general concept is something that is taught to some degree in LE circles, and some officers use it. Basically drawing their gun, keeping it hidden behind the leg, if approaching a fishy traffic stop but unsure if it's serious or not. It definitely has merit, I think it's just a matter of figuring out a realistic way to implement it without being blatantly obvious.

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    Wow, great video Frank, and nice screenshots courtesy Nick.

attachment.php

This screenshot really tells the story. What that shows well is a key visual indicator of an attack in progress: "primal crouch". What I am talking about is the shoulders rising and head lowering. When we are presented this visual image, even if only seen as a dark silhouette, most guys will identify that as a threatening posture, it can evoke a flinch response when seen.

Now Frank may say this posture is just a result of having to reach up higher behind his back to get a pistol in his waistband, and this is partially true, but I would argue there is more movement than necessary for just that. His tension is subtly broadcasting his intent to attack.

Now imagine if the attacker could draw and fire while maintaining the posture shown in the "going for wallet" image. By the attacker not presenting the "primal crouch", a defender viewing that "low tension" draw in progress would not get the benefit of a flinch response to hasten their reaction. Instead, the defender would likely have to do the usual (relatively slow) OODA processing to react.

So, if we can avoid assuming the "primal crouch" during a draw, it denies our opponents a faster flinch-based reaction. This has implications for all our gunfighting work.

We'll explore this and other topics at our free June 18th Force-on-Force Gunfighting event.

Top Bottom