Guns International

ETH77

ZAP Rules
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2008
    Houston
    I've been told, by folks who are more into the subject than I'll ever be, that the GE Monitor Top refrigerators, like this one...

View attachment 345095

...basically never break down. Supposedly the compressor being on top makes it easier for them to shed heat compared to later models where the mechanism is hidden on the bottom. It seems the most common reasons any of them were taken out of service were fashion (of course) and breakage of parts like the handles, hinges, and legs due to being dropped or other abuse, often when being loaded or unloaded from a truck because the owner was moving. Actual breakdowns of the mechanism were purported to be almost non-existent.

Anybody here have experience with them that you'd care to share?
    Not personally, it a friend of mine bought an old house in Dallas that had one. Made in 1935, in 1980 was still running.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

We had propane powered tractors growing up.
    I couldn't count the times we aired tires up with a hose off ghe vapor valve on a trailer mounted propane tank. Every tire repair place in the county knew that's what farmers did. They took necessary precautions.

Don't smoke when working on agricultural equipment tires.

gasgas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    S Texas
    M
    I've been told, by folks who are more into the subject than I'll ever be, that the GE Monitor Top refrigerators, like this one...

View attachment 345095

...basically never break down. Supposedly the compressor being on top makes it easier for them to shed heat compared to later models where the mechanism is hidden on the bottom. It seems the most common reasons any of them were taken out of service were fashion (of course) and breakage of parts like the handles, hinges, and legs due to being dropped or other abuse, often when being loaded or unloaded from a truck because the owner was moving. Actual breakdowns of the mechanism were purported to be almost non-existent.

I am 66 and a old timer in 1977 told me a lot of those used sulfur-dioxide as refrigerate,
    Said don’t sniff it it you have to release it in the air,
    The old International Harvester refrigerators were very good also

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

View attachment 345095

Dad found one and bought it in the 1970's.
    It stayed in the shop until he sold the farm in the mid 1990's. It was a Westinghouse brand, but pretty much the same unit. Whatever was put in it stayed cold. Mostly cattle vaccines and jugs of water. Somehow a few beers found their way in there.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom