• ...and so much more!
  • kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    The reasons female superhero characters wind up in that configuration of footwear are actually pretty interesting and involved.
    aec4eb0315f9ef9979a21a9990d44879.jpg
    Target Sports

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Spill it.

I can't find the in-depth article that showed up in my feed a while back so this is from memory.

High heels make women's legs look longer and more attractive. In some of the earlier Marvel movies, there were female superheroes in high heels. They caught flak over that because the shoes weren't practical for fighting and the separate high heel part, be it blocky or spiked, was very obvious on camera. But the look of the elevated heel was something that many people wanted to keep for various reasons. Some actresses wanted them to address height imbalances. The very feminist director of the first Wonder Woman movie wanted the shoes so that she could show a woman looking great, despite the impracticality of the situation, similar to the way male superheroes can have impossibly large muscles.

The costume and camera people came up with the tapered-heel wedge boot that's almost universally worn by female superheroes in movies these days. With the right taper to the heel (apparently this took a lot of experimenting), the camera doesn't pick up the wedge as much; the characters just look mysteriously more long-legged and fetching. They gain the aesthetic advantages and minimize the obviousness of the ridiculous shoe choice.

There are reams of writing on the subject online. People complained that when the Power Rangers were made into a movie, instead of them having all the same footwear as on the TV show, the females got high heels. Professional cosplayers and the folks who make costumes discuss how to tread the line between selecting a shoe that looks like what's on the movie screen yet will still enable the wearer at a convention to remain on their feet all day.

It's obvious I went down a rabbit hole one day a few months ago but I remember being fascinated by the number of decisions that had to be made and the number of people involved in those situations when the task at hand seemed as simple as deciding what shoes a character should wear.

I guess there's a reason some people go to college and study fashion and design and then decide to create shoes for a living. It's obviously a harder job than I realized and there are people willing to pay for that expertise.

Top Bottom