• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Currently my home is without grid power and I'm using 10 gallons of gasoline per day in a 10kw generator that powers my home and I also have a cord running to my neighbors home.

Instead of hauling multiple 5 gallon cans to the gas station I want to fill up my vehicles tanks and simply siphon gas from my vehicle tanks to a single 5 gallon can as I need it. What would be the best way to purchase or build a transfer pump for this task? Most of the transfer pumps I see online are designed for the tanks in the bed of pickup trucks. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Have a fuel company install a 500 gallon above ground tank and a long hose. Used to get fuel discount for large purchases

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    If the vehicle is newer, there is probably a check valve in the filler neck to prevent siphoning. Easiest is probably to disconnect the fuel line and use the fuel pump.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If the vehicle is newer, there is probably a check valve in the filler neck to prevent siphoning. Easiest is probably to disconnect the fuel line and use the fuel pump.

Problem there is, most vehicles with an electric fuel pump, they don't work unless the vehicle is running, and most have a special fitting at the hose, or none at all making pulling the fuel line off difficult or impossible without a special tool, or damaging it.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Yeah, I was fearful of of some sort of check valve in the cars fuel tank to prevent siphoning. Installing any above ground tank here is out of the question. I'm in a residential neighborhood with an HOA. Was just hoping that there was an easier way on my back that doesn't include hauling so many 5 gallon jugs around. My portable generator setup works well. In the winter it can run my entire home including heater. I have an inlet box that connects my portable generator to my breaker box.

The whole setup cost me less than 1200 and its been working for a few years now so I'm reluctant to go to a standby generator due to the costs.

I've found these cans to be to be the best fuel cans I've ever used compared to any polymer can. They self vent, don't leak, easy to fill, easy to dispense with the flexible neck. I guess I need to buy a couple more.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    If you can get the vehicle close enough to siphon fuel out of it into the generator you ought to be able to transport 5gal cans right up to the generator. No?

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    No gas here in Tyler. The goofy bastards here ALWAYS freak out at cold weather and panic buy.

Even with the grocery stores mostly cleaned out there are lines of people pouring out door. This is multiplied by the fact the city lost it’s water last evening.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Possibly a fuel transfer tank mught be an option. Just not an inexpensive option.

Most I have seen are rated for diesel, but I'm sure there are some that are rated for gasoline as well.
    I've been looking at northern tool as well and i looks like this might best the best option, which is similar to what you suggested.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I've been looking at northern tool as well and i looks like this might best the best option, which is similar to what you suggested.

Weight is going to be an issue too. That loaded with fuel is going to be over 300 pounds. Getting it from the bed of the truck, to the ground will be the biggest problem that I can see.

You could get a longer hose too for it.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Weight is going to be an issue too. That loaded with fuel is going to be over 300 pounds. Getting it from the bed of the truck, to the ground will be the biggest problem that I can see.

You could get a longer hose too for it.
    Aw heck, it is easy to get anything down. Just let gravity do the work.

Now getting something down in one piece, that can be trickier.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    get you a little red wagon with inflatable tires, load to 5 gal containers on and pull...

you should be yourself to should be two, distracted, making chicken vegetable dump soup. Deboned 3 chicken breasts, added some chicken soup base, dumped in some tomatoes I canned in the summer, some frozen zucchini and green beans from summer garden ,celery, onion, garlic, had some kale salad left from last night, no seasoning on it, with fresh kohl rahbi, carrots, tomatoes and onions in it.

Boiled the bones and deboned it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom