• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'm thinking I would like to get some fruit trees for the new place. What to get? Never ate a Persimmon but I know they grow. I think Mayhaw would be good on my property. Pomagranate should work being related to Crape Myrtles.
    What variety of apple & peach do I want? I think a blueberry bush & pear tree might be in order too.
    Venture Surplus ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    biggest thing to look at are which ones are best suited to your area as far as climate. And some will grow outside of their ideal climate, but will not produce fruit. find a good plant farm or nursery to advise you on the correct selections. The bigger a fruit tree you buy, is more expensive, but also more apt to survive when it's planted. Expect to spend some serious money.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    When I was a kid, long long ago; we had pears, figs, pecans, persimmons, mulberries, pomegranates, & Japanese plums. The pecans were all used. Most of the figs & pears were made into preserves or jams. The mulberries were eaten fresh. I can't recall ever eating a persimmon, pomegranate, or Japanese plum.

If you are in a climate to grow a lime tree, that would be very nice to have.

Avocados are great, but can't be saved. They have to be eaten when they ripen.

Good Luck with your new yard & projects.

leVieux

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Here's a thread to peruse while waiting for replies.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Climate and soil.

Peach trees can be nice, but they must be sprayed at exactly the right time (can't recall the name of the insecticide right now, worms and borers are a problem). And then trying to keep birds from ruining the fruit.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Dwarf fruit trees. If you plant good and conditions are right you can see fruit in two years or so said. Been doing a lot of thinking on it. I’m dedicated to lavender right now to see how easy it is. But I want some dwarf peach trees.

So far the trees I planted have not died. Texas soil needs special planting instructions.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    When it comes to apples, pears, and pit fruits (peaces, apricots, etc.), you need to look at number of cold hours of rthat variety (a cold hour is one hour below 40 degrees). For example, you can plant a Macintosh Apple tree in your yard and it will grow fine if you have good soil and water, but if it needs 1200 cold hours and only gets 300 during the winter, it will never blossom and fruit.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Meyer Lemon
    Mexican Lime

I've planted various apple, orange, pear, plum, and had little luck. Never gave fruit.

I had more lemons than I could give away and more limes than I could use with Meyer lemon and Mexican lime. Until they froze.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I had golden and macintosh plus 2 peach trees at last house in DFW. They all did fine but the bores and wasps got to a lot of the fruit. Pecans need to be sprayed and nuts picked up as soon as they hit the ground or worms get them. They also need good ground and a deep hole (for clay soil) to set the tap root.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I would skip the blueberry bushes. They are sensitive and produce very little. On the other hand, some Colorado peaches are very tasty and they will produce early in the season. There are various peach trees, if you like those and most produce after the Colorado peach is done. Plum trees fair very well in ET. Plums are very tasty in jam too.

Fig trees will do well out there too.

All of them will take 2-4 years to start producing well.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Checkout BOBO's Nursery not to far from you. They can probably recommend some species that thrive well in our neck of the woods.

Peaches should do well since there is a big peach orchard not to far from you.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    We were in the same situation a couple of months ago. Ended up with two plumb trees. Actually wanted lemon but couldn’t find any at a decent price. By decent, I mean less than $600. The only place we found that had any said it’s because of the freeze last year and that it put a huge dent in supply. Apparently you can’t bring citrus across state lines? Didn’t make sense to me but that’s what they said. I mean, this is state to state, not from a foreign country. Anyway, be sure they can self pollinate otherwise you will need at least two. Lemons can, but plum trees cannot

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I used to have a peach orchard, twenty trees. They require specific work, but it is worth it. Peaches require a certain amount of chilling (temps below 40F) to set fruit, and they require specific pruning to get good fruit. The advantage of having your own trees, is you can let them fully ripen for sugar and flavor, because once you pick them, that process stops.

Best bet would be to get with your local Ag Extension Agent and find out which varieties are best for your climate. And learn how to prune. Basically 80% of the wood comes off each year because fruit only sets on one year old wood.

But the results can be worth it. Texas State Fair Honorable Mention for my Peach Wine. And Blue Ribbon at the County Fair for my peach jam.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I'd recommend contacting your county agent and see what they suggest.

My wife and I have put in a lot of time, effort and money without much to show for it.
    Persimmons, peaches, and figs do "reasonably well" here in central Milam County. The figs have a tendency to freeze back the first few years.
    My pomegranates freeze flush with the ground yearly... no fruit. Like others have said apples need cold. We got a few Galas from last winters cold, but not much... apples get fire blight from too much wet.
    Plums finally produced this spring just to have the English Sparrows tear all the immature fruit out of the trees.
    Pears might work for you. There's two kinds. Canning varieties and eating fresh varieties.
    Lastly, if you see bugs on your trees, especially caterpillars, don't hesitate... nuke 'em from orbit if you have to.

Top Bottom