• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Acquired a second-hand S&W M&P Shield 9mm. Shoots great, except at 20 yards, I get a consistent tight group 6 inches right of the bulls eye. So front sight needs to be adjusted to the right about 1/16" or slightly less according to my calculations.

I'm not a gunsmith and not sure what tools are best for this. Is this something I should be able to do myself, I mean, any gotchas? Anybody have any suggestions?
    Lynx Defense

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    if its in a dovetail, slight tap with a brass hammer and punch. if the front site is centered, you may want to consider moving the read instead.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    There are some youtube videos. Brass punch or sight pusher. Some masking tape to prevent marring. Remember FORS (front opposite rear same) (you are correct about direction). You don't want to hit the sight with the hammer. You hit the punch. Seems to be a common problem on shields.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    if its in a dovetail, slight tap with a brass hammer and punch. if the front site is centered, you may want to consider moving the read instead.

^^^^This right here^^^^^

Don’t forget to check your rear sight to see if it has a set screw first. It won’t move until it’s loosened or removed.

Or it will move some after a few really hard whacks & you ruin your sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kp321

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    Tuscola, Texas
    Shields have very tight rear sight dovetails but it is still better to move the rear rather than the front. The rear sight is a solid chunk of steel, much stronger than the front.
    Every Shield I have shot needed the sights adjusted. Someone at the factory must be cross-eyed.

Top Bottom